Author Topic: dry eye meds  (Read 672 times)

srqkimc

dry eye meds
« on: February 22, 2017, 02:16:07 PM »
I don't know if this is allowed but my father suffered from sjogrens and recently passed away. There are 20 vials of xiidra here, which I know is extremely expensive, along with 15 vials of restasis and 28 vials of refresh celluvisc. These meds are all in date and I feel horrible thinking about tossing them when I'm sure there is someone out there who struggles with paying for meds and could use them.

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: dry eye meds
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 06:58:05 PM »
I am an old nurse and know that there are loads of rules and regs. I think I would stop in and talk with the social services/public health in your area to see if they know of some place that could use them. I know of times when some drugs like this have been sent to missionaries. It is a terrible waste that is for sure and it would be best if we didn't throw all these drugs and waste the money and pollute the environment. Good luck. Irish

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: dry eye meds
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 03:26:14 AM »
I agree with Irish. It's commendable that you want these medications to do some good rather than be wasted, but local laws vary, and in many places, exchanges of prescription medications between individuals is prohibited.

I'm sure you will find a legal way to contribute the items, either through a local clinic, charitable association, or even the providing pharmacy or drug company.

When my Mother passed, she had just gotten a three month supply of a cancer support med not covered by our provincial health plan, to the tune of $600, roughly. We took it to the treatment clinic she had attended, along with her wigs and a couple of other "luxury" cancer support items, and they were very happy to get them, and pass them along to someone who wouldn't otherwise have the off plan support. Because the covered medications were prescribed in smaller lots, we didn't have much of them on hand, and just returned them to the pharmacy.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld