Author Topic: Checking back in  (Read 753 times)

genko_b

Checking back in
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:34:24 PM »
Hi Folks:

It has been a while since I posted; I do check in here from time to time to see how everyone is doing. My Sjogren's has been pretty quiescent lately. I am taking 200 mg of Plaquenil a day, plus 2 Evoxac a day, plus Restasis eyedrops, and that has been sufficient to keep things under control. The neurological symptoms have not been a issue for a while. I'm grateful for this respite. I have been keeping busy with prison work (I teach in the prisons), gardening, and so on.

Just recently I was handed a whole other medical situation to deal with - advanced ovarian cancer. It came from out of the blue, as no one in our family has been diagnosed with cancer up to now. I had surgery two weeks ago and am recuperating for the next few weeks before beginning 18 weeks of chemotherapy. So my schedule is cleared and my focus right now is on getting in shape for chemo at the end of March.

Anyone else have any experience with ovarian cancer?

Take care,

Genko

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Checking back in
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 04:18:58 AM »
Welcome back, Genko. I'm sorry to hear of your latest challenge, but your positive attitude is uplifting, to say the least!

I have no personal experience with ovarian cancer, but I have heard people say "it snuck up " on them, no warning signs, no early minor symptoms, just a full blown diagnosis out of the blue. I wish you a quick and full recovery from your surgery, and an easy path and success with chemotherapy, possibly even a positive effect on your Sjogren's symptoms from the chemo!

Keep finding your light.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 06:28:27 PM »
Genko, I, too, am sorry to hear about your latest health problem. I glad the surgery is over and hope and pray that the chemo goes well and that you don't have too many side effects.

I also hope that your Sjogrens stays hidden and doesn't give you any surprises during the chemo. Please keep us informed on how you are doing through this challenge. You do sound very positive and hopefully you will be able to work during most of this time. So many people are able to continue working during chemo as doctors have been able to fine tune chemotherapy more than ever. Good luck. Irish

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 08:58:50 AM »
Hey! Welcome back Genko!  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

CureSjogrensNow

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 11:25:38 AM »
Please try reading The China Study by T. Collin Campbell. Of course run it by your doctors as well. Many prayers and much love.

genko_b

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
Many thanks for the suggestion of Campbell's book. I've read it before. I've followed that diet - whole foods plant-based - since the 1970's, so I don't think there are any changes I need to make in that regard.

I'll continue to share my experiences here. Hopefully no one else will have to go through it.

Take care,

Genko

genko_b

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 05:13:32 PM »
Started chemo last week. My doctor has been very pleased with my progress post-surgery - fast healing and "optimal tumor de-bulking." This first round of chemo has been manageable except for a couple of days. 17 more rounds to go! I understand the impact on the body is cumulative, so I expect some rough patches here and there. However, many of the patients are working full time (glad I'm retired!), so I'm trying to take the doctor's advice and have some activities to keep me busy and out of trouble. I'm getting caught up on letter-writing, and hope to get out into the garden once the weather warms up a bit more.

One thing that helps is to keep on top of the nausea, eat small meals more frequently, and get enough sleep, including a nap each  day. I'm also going for a short walk every day, with different friends taking turns keeping me company, so my husband can get out and do more of his own stuff - visiting friends and so on.

Hope all is well with all of you.

Take care,

Genko

ellieas

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 02:14:05 PM »
Sending you love and hugs. I had chemo for lymphoma a few years ago. you will have days where you feel horrible and days which are pretty good. Do whatever you need to be comfortable.I personally ate chocolate covered pretzels during infusions and it helped everything ;D

Keep in touch
sjogrens dx'd 2010, non hodgkins Lymphoma(1999), fibromyalgia, age 65, keep trying Plaquenil, Zoloft, Forteo, ibuprofen, love being near my kids

genko_b

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 06:37:44 PM »
Hi Folks:

I've finally finished the chemotherapy - the last three infusions or so were pretty brutal. I think I slept the whole last week.

Now I'm recovering from that, and will see the oncologist next week to see how effective the treatment has been, and what my chances are for a remission of some length. I'm feeling stronger now, and have been out in the garden for several days catching up on weeding. That has been nice.

I'll let you know how the doctor's visit goes.

Take care,

Genko

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 07:01:38 PM »
Genko,
What a milestone for you!  I'm relieved that your treatments are behind you, and I hope your doctor's report is all good.  It is also good to hear you talk about your garden again!
Hugs and prayers,
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

SunshineDaydream

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »
Just seeing this thread for the first time, genko. Glad to hear you found some things that help with your Sjogren's symptoms. I hope your ovarian cancer treatment was successful and you get good news from your oncologist.
Sjogren's, lupus and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Restasis 
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

genko_b

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 06:00:49 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes. The oncologist is very pleased with the results of the chemotherapy, and my next check-up is not for another three months. So I'm officially in remission from ovarian cancer. However, it is expected to return at some point - we just do not know when. In the meantime I'm enjoying feeling so much better and stronger and able to get out and do more things.

Hope all is well with you.

Take care,

Genko

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 06:09:54 PM »
You have such an great attitude and are a tough cookie so you will do well. I hate to say it but autoimmune is good training for other illness. So glad to hear that you were able to work in your garden and enjoy the air and sky. Good to hear that you are strong enough to weed after 18 treatments. And wonderful to hear that you are in remission. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. irish