Author Topic: Flare Up from Cold Weather  (Read 223 times)

saraj84

Flare Up from Cold Weather
« on: January 11, 2017, 11:37:49 AM »
Does anyone else have a flare up due to the weather? My big trigger seems to be from extreme cold weather or from weather going back and forth from warm to cold (like when winter transitions to spring). I have vasculitis as well as Sjogren's and currently the cold is taking it's toll on me! I mostly get throbbing muscle aches in my arms as well as tight joint pain and stiffness. Fatigue usually comes with it as well. Acupuncture definitely helps, but doesn't necessarily make it go completely away. Lots of hot baths, light yoga, heat packs, super warm boots and socks, heaters at my desk at work., etc. Any other suggestions? Diets that have helped you? Herbal supplements? Not looking to go on any other medications, so looking for more natural ideas. And of course, would like to know if anyone else experiences this from the weather! Getting to the point where I might need to work from home during the cold days so my body doesn't have to keep going from cold to warm to cold again! I live in the Great Lakes area and sadly moving to a warmer climate is not possible in the near future....but a trip to Florida is booked for March so that will definitely help! : )

Any advice is appreciated!

wendyoh

Re: Flare Up from Cold Weather
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »
Sara I have been dealing with same thing and live in southern WI.  I also have increased my acupuncture just recently as it seems it helps take the edge off--I am pretty sure the cold was a precipitating factor that triggered this flare in midlate Dec that I can't seem to shake, its making me concerned. I also had a dental crown pop off with chewy candy (oops) and since that happened and it got put back on it has felt like something is wrong with a number of the nerves in teeth and setting off nerve pain that I get in flares in neck, spine, feet and eyes hurt too Wah ;)  hard to ferret out how much is cold or maybe something got messed up dentally and will have to be identified....sigh, going to give acupuncture time and I have been avoiding for last 5 years taking my walks outdoors during cold winters to minimize that aggravator
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, bulging cervical discs 4 level, DDS, DJD, emerging vertigo, cfs, fms, gerd, plantar fascitis, corneal erosion, some other stuff :)
not trained in medical field so just share my experience and opinions as a consumer and lay researcher trying to get more well-ness

saraj84

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »
Wendy,

Yes keep giving acupuncture a try! I also pair it with Moxabustion to help get my circulation moving. That definitely helps the joint and muscle pain. I grew up on Lake Superior and just got back from visiting family....it was -20 outside and once I got back home to Michigan it's 40. I think that's what's making my flare up go crazy! Was hoping to start exercising regularly again now that the holidays are over, but that's going to be a challenge. Light yoga (restorative, yin, etc.) is the route I usually take in a flare up so my joints dont' get too bad. That's crazy about your tooth! I hope that gets figured out soon!

Glad to know that I'm not crazy with the weather being a trigger! Just gotta keep warm and keep moving I guess : )

wendyoh

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:18:15 PM »
ha no I don't think you are crazy at all and lots of friends of mine with issues like fibromyalgia or AI etc complain about winters being hard here

Lake Superior.....we used to vacation there when I was a kid, would stay in Bayfield, dad had a boat, was so pretty, but talk about cold! even in July that Lake sure was but I could hack it back then ;) Love Madeline Island and Ashland too
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, bulging cervical discs 4 level, DDS, DJD, emerging vertigo, cfs, fms, gerd, plantar fascitis, corneal erosion, some other stuff :)
not trained in medical field so just share my experience and opinions as a consumer and lay researcher trying to get more well-ness

Nymph

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 05:42:26 AM »
Yes, I flare a bit every time there is a cold front that comes through. I live in the South so not as bad probably, but numerous times in the winter we will get light snow or ice storms. Warm fronts with low pressure also bother me but that is more migraines/dysautonomia. With cold fronts I get increased dryness and fatigue and joint pain.

I second the gentle yoga suggestion. I have a rice-filled shoulder wrap that I microwave every morning that helps ward off cold-induced shoulder pain. And I use a warm steam humidifier all fall/winter/spring until it gets humid again.
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »
 YEA I TOO SUFFER WITH THIS PROBLEM,, BUT CAN WE BE SURE ITS SJOGRENS RELATED? I WAS GOING TO SEE MY DOC AS IVE HAD COLD PROBLEMS IN WINTERS PAST, BUT SUMMER JUST PAST, I WAS REALLY FEELING THE COLD ON DAYS WHEN THERE WAS NOT MUCH SUNSHINE AROUND...(UK)  WAS THINKING ABOUT THYROID PROBLEMS TOO.  SHOULD I SEE MY DOC OR JUST TAKE IT AS THE SJOGGY STUFF . IN SYMPATHY DOLLY X