Author Topic: Problems with Chemosis?  (Read 266 times)

cheryljean

Problems with Chemosis?
« on: January 08, 2017, 10:35:56 AM »
I have had chemosis in my right eye since Sept 2016. I have been diagnosed with Sjogrens for 2 years now. I am on my third eye doctor now. I have asked everytime "Could this condition be related to my Sjogrens?" The response is we do not know. I have spent a small fortune in different eye drops. I presented with fluid bag on eye. No drainage what so ever, only some itching at first. Since then they have de-roofed the outside lateral aspect of my conjunctiva in office. The completely resolved for 3 days post op but returned on the 4th day much to my dismay. Since it is now at the bottom of my iris/pupil and inside corner. The edema varies from day to day. When the water bag gets big and I have to look through the fluid everything is a blur. Am I the only one?   
Female-age 51 Hypertension, Heart attack age 42 secondary thrombus, GERD, high cholesterol, osteoarthritis, sjogrens, massive degenerative rotator cuff tear.
Lisinopril, HCTZ, Plavix, zantac, crestor, krill and fish oil, turmeric, vitamin d and osteo biflex
Massage, walking and bicyling

SunshineDaydream

Re: Problems with Chemosis?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »
Welcome to the board, cheryljean. I had never heard of chemosis before reading your post and didn't find anything online about it being related to Sjogren's. You never know with SJS, though, because it presents in many ways and doctors seem to have limited knowledge.

Hopefully another board member will chime in with knowledge and/or experience.
Sjogren's, lupus and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Restasis 
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 08:56:41 PM »
I just did a search on chemosis and am wondering if you have seen an ophthalmologist. Sometimes the optometrists are not always aware of some of the more unusual things that can affect the eye.

It seems that this issue with the eye can have many causes and need to be treated appropriately. Some of the causes can be from systemic type health issues. I am wondering if you need to have another assessment to get more in depth treatment. Have you had infection ruled out?? If it was me I would pursue further assessment to see if there was something that could be done to at least make the problem more tolerable and less of an issue. Let us know how you come out as this is not something we are hearing about often. Irish

cheryljean

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:52:52 AM »
Chemosis?...don't feel bad. It took me a month to figure out a name for it. Edema in my eye! I got a fluid bad! Can be caused by dry eye! My routine eye doctor did not know what to do. I am seeing an ophthalmologist in Knoxville at UT now (The 3rd eye doctor). I am a nurse of 33 years and have seen alot of stuff but this has me stumped. I have battled to keep my teeth with multiple root canals etc when I always had perfect teeth before. Back to the eye...Infection was ruled out right off. I was treated with antihistamines, steroids and a splash of antibiotics just in case. My ophthalmologist is saying when I return Feb 2nd we will consider resection of the conjunctiva. It is sad to say I am excited. I feel like my body is always doing something weird. Problems with mouth ulcers which are quite painful. I have joint pain terrible. My feet and hands prompted me to see rheumatologist appox 2 years ago. I just could not tolerate the medicine. Plaquenil  made me have super -sonic hearing (hyperacusis) and Arava made my hair fall out at a high rate of speed. I have prednisone that I dose as needed but holding off due to upcoming shoulder surgery. Thank you for listening to me rant. I have enjoyed reading others post's. Makes me feel not so all alone and that I am not crazy.
Female-age 51 Hypertension, Heart attack age 42 secondary thrombus, GERD, high cholesterol, osteoarthritis, sjogrens, massive degenerative rotator cuff tear.
Lisinopril, HCTZ, Plavix, zantac, crestor, krill and fish oil, turmeric, vitamin d and osteo biflex
Massage, walking and bicyling