Author Topic: Xylitol gum?  (Read 284 times)

SabbraCadabra

Xylitol gum?
« on: January 08, 2017, 01:11:17 AM »
So I was running low on gum, and thought I would try out this xylitol that everyone's raving about...well...I don't think I can do it =) The flavor isn't too terrible, but it kind of burns like mouth wash, and feels like it's drying out my mouth instead of promoting saliva. It's spearmint flavor, so it shouldn't be the flavor itself that's causing the burning sensation, I assume it's the xylitol.

Anyone else?

I think from here on I'm just going to stick with regular old sugar, with what few companies still make it that way. Aspartame? No can do.

Dentyne Cinnamon and Wrigley's Doublemint both come in a "real sweeteners" variety.

Lotus1

Re: Xylitol gum?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 04:07:53 AM »
I've been using peppermint flavour xylitol for the past year and am ok.
I didn't get on with the spearmint flavour, very strong, upset my mouth.

P.Trish

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 08:18:26 AM »
Mighteaflow gum is the Best for dry mouth - good flavor & long lasting - sugarless is a Must for me.
Mighteafow is pricey. I hide it from my grand kids ! :)
female dx'd Jan 2012, English/Drama Teacher: retired, plaquenil 400mg, aspirin 80 mg, Lisinipril 20mg,  fish oil, multi vitamins, methyl pred  pack (every 2 months) evoxac, d-mannose, biotin, gluten free
. Stroke survivor  'Have a heart that never hardens and a touch that never hurts" (Dickens)

WhatYouSjo

• What You Sjo
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »
Were you using Spry? I use the peppermint Spry myself, and I don't really mind the taste. I have tried the spearmint and green tea flavors and didn't care for either. I accidentally bought some Spry mints rather than gum once, and I found that they gave my breath a somewhat alcoholic quality that others didn't appreciate. The gum doesn't seem to affect my breath the same way unless I chew a very large amount of it.

I would definitely advise sugarless; SS patients have enough dental issues without adding more sugar to the mix.
Seronegative male diagnosed 2014. Using generic Plaquenil, Restasis, paleo diet, select supplements, helminthic therapy, LDN, and CBD (cannabis) oil. My full treatment regimen

You can visit my website at http://www.whatyousjo.com

SabbraCadabra

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »
It's the P?r brand. I'm rather leary of trying a different flavor/brand, just to end up with more gum that I don't care for.

I always see mouth issues listed under Sjogren's, but for whatever reason, I've never had any cavities. Sugar does trigger my LPR, but with gum, I think that's fairly negligible.

Maybe it's because I've always chewed a lot of gum and drank a lot of fluoridated water?

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 05:51:10 PM »
Chewing Xylitol gum at a high number a day is also a very good laxative. Causes a lot of gas also. Irish

bartolo

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 03:20:02 AM »
Xylitol is highly hygroscopic - it attracts moisture, so this is why it can have a drying effect.

Xylitol and peppermint also both have a cooling effect.

SabbraCadabra

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 05:42:41 AM »
Chewing Xylitol gum at a high number a day is also a very good laxative. Causes a lot of gas also. Irish

Oh good, just what I need =)

I've only been doing two pieces a day (at the same time). I was reading that it's poisonous to pets, and can cause heart palpitations, so that made me a little nervous, but so far I've been okay on that front.

I might try Glee Gum next, it sounds good, albiet more expensive...or maybe old-fashioned Chicklet/Canel, although I seem to recall not liking it much as a kid.

Lotus1

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 01:49:21 PM »
I'm quite happy with the peppermint xylitol gum.
Sick of chewing gum, though.......

Wonder if I can find mighteaflow or glee gum in Australia????
Will research.

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
I've watched this thread...and am amazed how many of you have enough saliva to chew gum.  Another one of these interesting posts to remind me how long it's been (and maybe had Sjogren's) since I could chew gum.  Honesty...I think I was barely 30.  If that old.  So was my saliva compromised that long ago.

The idea that xylitol helps with salivation is interesting.  I bought Xyitol in bulk ..as sugar.  Have baked with it once.  Quite good. 

Anyway...my contribution is a comment about the flavors: those are the ones which cause anyone to salivate---and thus get my supposedly atrophied left parotid get clogged to have a sialadenitis spell.  Like RIGHT now this afternoon.  Have been using my massage and HOT compresses for hours.  Nothing.  Just broke down and took one of my antibiotics.  I have time to take another one at 11 tonight.  THEN...maybe I can eat something in the morning.  It's times like this I wonder how I suffered with this condition until began to be treated w' antibiotics.  Had it for several years before SjS's dx.  At this point it occurs seldom. It hurts SO badly---especially when you're sooooooooooo hungry. 

Back to those flavors: yummy Dentyne cinnamon...was so good, and spearmint and doublemint too.  I tried Spry (dentist give away) but only had fruit flavors.  I think I may have chewed 5 or 6 times before tossing. 

Anyway...maybe it's cause i'm so hungry this thread appeals to me this afternoon.
c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

SabbraCadabra

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 06:00:44 AM »
The idea that xylitol helps with salivation is interesting.

Gum in general is supposed to help with saliva, not xylitol. People who suffer from SJS are said to have problems with tooth decay, and sugarless gum is recommended...especially xylitol as it's not an artificial sweetener, is supposed to be good for your teeth, and I also read that it's supposed to have a positive impact on certain gut bacteria.

trc1962

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 08:33:14 PM »
Xylitol is something I have to avoid at all costs as it causes skin and scalp pain, redness and irritation and it can also irritate my gums as well. I think mine is related to histamine issues, but I am unsure. I have never had a cavity in my life so I chew Juicy Fruit on occasion and do fine, but no xylitol.