Author Topic: Expiration dates - January, out with the old, in with the new  (Read 843 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Expiration dates - January, out with the old, in with the new
« on: January 07, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »
Hi - Happy New Year to everyone!   :D

It's hard to believe that 2016 is a mere memory now . . . poof . . . it went by quickly!  Hello 2017!   ;D

Over and over, I find that time slips by so quickly these days.  Many times I am looking through the pantry in the kitchen, or the cabinet in the bathroom, and find expired dates on the items in there.  How can it be expired already, I just bought it?  Or so I thought!  I have always put a little sticker on each item with the month and year that I bought it (I do this for items in the refrigerator, freezer, pantry, and bathroom items).  This week, we have found items that were bought in 2014, expired in 2015, and it is now 2017!!   :o  Oops!!

So, I thought I would post a little January reminder for everyone to check the expiration dates on the products in your home.  Not only your food, but your spices, medicines, makeup, etc. 

Medicine loses it's effectiveness once it goes past the expiration date.  They use to tell people to flush pills down the toilet - now, they say not to do that.  I know here where I live, the pharmacy will take back expired medicine (has to be in original container) and they will dispose of them.

Not only pills, but anything that comes in a tube (first aid cream, poison ivy cream, A & D Ointment, etc.) has an expiration date.  I know for myself, that some times I have only used the product once - there is a full tube of it left.  However, it expired four years ago!!   :o  As much as you hate to do it, throw it away and get fresh.

I know I have kept (and used) suntan lotion for years and years . . . did you know they have expiration dates on them?  Hmmm, maybe that explains why they were so runny when I tried to use them.   ::)

When was the last time you checked all the makeup that you use?  They don't last forever or until they get used up - they do go bad.  Unopened, cosmetics can be good for a couple of years at room temperature.  Once a product is opened and exposed to air, your fingers, etc., you transfer germs to them.  Heat and humidity promotes growth of mold and yeast too.  Years ago, I found the following guidelines about keeping makeup from Good Housekeeping.

*  Face Makeup - six months for liquids, two years for powders
     *  Mascara - three months    (and don't "pump" the wand in and out, each time you do that you are putting air and bacteria into the tube)
     *  Eyeliner and Eye Shadow - Liquid eyeliners, three months; cream eye shadow - six months; pencil eyeliners and powder eye shadows - two years
     *  Lipstick and Lip liner - Lipstick and gloss, two years; lip liner - two years or more
     *  Nail Polish - one to two years  (avoid storing these in the bathroom)
     *  Sunscreen - six months
     *  Hair Products - one year
     *  Fragrance - two years

In our current economy, we certainly want to get the most for our money - however, stretching the products we use past their expiration date or freshness can cause us infections or sickness.  We Sjoggies don't need either of those!!   

So, check out your kitchen refrigerator, pantry, spices, medicine cabinet and your makeup and get rid of products that have expired, dried up, changed color, changed smell, etc.  I wonder what the oldest date is that we'll find as we check expiration dates?  Post a little ditty on what you find.

Good Luck with the purge . . . out with the old, in with the new! 

Happy New Year . . . may 2017 bring you much happiness, good health (or better health), and many, many blessings.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

joC2017

Re: Expiration dates - January, out with the old, in with the new
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 09:18:56 PM »
Wonderful advice Bucky.  Thank you.

SunshineDaydream

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »
Good reminder. While helping my husband look for a remedy in our bathroom yesterday, I found something that expired in 2012! Eek. Time to look at all of the products.
Sjogren's, lupus and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Restasis 
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:20:30 AM »
Hi - well, January is over and now it's February already!!   :o

When cleaning out the cabinet in the bathroom I found several "expired" products.  The one with the oldest date on it was 2004!!  Yikes! There are a couple items that expired in 2016, but, I will hold onto them "in case of emergency" (they were cough medicine and cold related and were full). 

I also went through all my makeup and threw out what was in there and bought new.  Everything was at least a year old.  I don't use much makeup - just blush, eye shadow, and mascara.  I'm a Covergirl and Maybelline gal, so I could replace all of that for less than $20. 

I looked at my spices and they are all good.  I did find a container of sea salt that was dated 2007!

My husband found some of his coffee flavoring he had stock piled in the pantry had expired (I told him NOT to buy so many at one time . . . they don't listen!!  Thankfully, each bottle was only a $1 - he threw out three of them).

I still haven't done an entire pantry cleaning yet - that's on my "to do" list . . . which is a low priority right now.   ;)  I've tried to keep up with it more since the last time I cleaned it out - so I don't think I'll find any big surprises in there.

Has anyone else checked their cabinets for expired products?  Sunshine - isn't it amazing how quickly the years fly by when you find an expired date?  I just bought that!  Ha

Happy February everyone!   :D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

SunshineDaydream

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
Yes indeed, Bucky, checking expiration dates make you realize how fast time is going by and also how much we waste. But when you need a med cabinet item, you need it even if it turns out you don't use all of it in time.
Sjogren's, lupus and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Restasis 
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic