Author Topic: Pilocarpine with something fatty?  (Read 751 times)

Maria3667

• Good advice is one thing, applying it another
Pilocarpine with something fatty?
« on: January 02, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »
After many years Pilocarpine seems to be losing it's effectiveness for me. Upon commencing, I remember the rheumatologist saying I should consume it together with something fatty, like cheese. But I never do, because who carries cheese in their purse? ... lol ...  ;)

Do any of you take it concomitantly with something fatty? Or do any of you know a method to make the pilocarpine more effective?

Any advice is welcome!
50. Lyme's (1998), Sjogren's (2003), hypothyroidism (2004), osteoarthritis (2016), DES-daughter, GAD. Pilocarpine, natural thyroid hormones, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone, 2.5 mg dhea, supplements. Endometriosis, cherry angiomas, macules. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

GgcJap

Re: Pilocarpine with something fatty?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 12:42:46 AM »
Hi Maria,
I've read that taking pilocarpine with high fat meals actually reduces pilocarpine absorption. I find this true with myself also. I found the same information on drugs.com.

I find it's most effective for me on an empty stomach. Might be worth a try.

GgcJap
38yo Australian M (living in Japan)
Blood work negative, biopsy negative,
Dry eyes, mouth, nose, random muscle pains at random times
Evoxac, Plaquenil

Maria3667

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
Hi Ggc,

Thanks for bearing with me. Taking it on an empty stomach seems to make no difference to me. Could it be pilocarpine is losing it's effectiveness? Or that I've become desensitized to it after all these years?
50. Lyme's (1998), Sjogren's (2003), hypothyroidism (2004), osteoarthritis (2016), DES-daughter, GAD. Pilocarpine, natural thyroid hormones, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone, 2.5 mg dhea, supplements. Endometriosis, cherry angiomas, macules. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

GgcJap

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 12:20:56 AM »
I did have the same problem for a while whilst using salagen, after about two months of it working fine all of a sudden it seemed to stop working almost completely. I switched to evoxac and although my saliva is not the same as it was it's better than when the salagen stopped working.
I didn't have any tests as to why it stopped so I'm not sure but I have a couple of theories. One is that my glands deterioration has progressed and the other being that my stomach isn't absorbing things like it used to. Your body can build a tolerance to it but I don't see it changing all of a sudden. I imagine that would be a more gradual thing.

GgcJap
Evoxac, Plaquenil

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »
You could also carry chocolate candy in a baggie in your purse or shirt pocket. Chocolate contains fat and just read labels and find the chocolate that doesn't melt too fast. I think the doc told you to eat with cheese so that he was being a good role model.lol  No one would carry cheese sticks for a long time due to spoilage and doctors don't like to be reported telling someone to take their pill with candy. My take on the situation. Irish

Maria3667

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 10:45:29 AM »
@Ggc: it feels like its a sudden deterioration in effectiveness. Maybe nearing menopause is playing a part? On the other hand, after I was given antibiotic prophylaxis recently my saliva production sudden jumped back on... ????
@Iris: maybe you're right the dr wanting to sound like a goody two shoes. I'd like to try it out with chocolate but will have to find a brand that doesn't contain sugar as that gives me bad mouth sores. Thanks for the tip though ????

GgcJap

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
What ever it is it sounds complicated. I would suggest speaking to your dr about it. Maybe you could switch to evoxac for a trial to see if that makes any difference? As for the antibiotics and more saliva I have no idea at all. Antibiotics usually make mine worse if on them for more than a few days.
Evoxac, Plaquenil

gurs

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 04:10:29 AM »
Not sure but maybe the manufacturer changed something? can you try another brand? usually the pharmacy can order via different ones, try another pharmacy as well if they cant help?

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 06:56:29 PM »
How about potato chips or some other snacky hi fat food. I was using chocolate as it is so easier to carry in the purse. Irish

Maria3667

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 12:55:52 AM »
@Ggc: unfortunately Evoxac is not available in my country (I'm in Europe).
@Gurs: the only 2 brand available are Salagen & generic pilocarpine, but neither seem to make a difference.
@Irish: taking it with sugarless chocolate does some to improve saliva flow. Atkin's bars seem to fit the bill (and my purse) nicely :) Thanks for the tip  ;D