Author Topic: Thin hair and hair loss.  (Read 766 times)

DeadGirl75

• Dark Moon Series
Thin hair and hair loss.
« on: December 15, 2016, 06:10:22 PM »
I've noticed that I'm losing a LOT of hair. Currently, my hair is super long, nearly to my butt. I've always had thin hair, but it seems to be worse now. I'm losing a lot. I know that this condition can cause trouble, also, I need to schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist due to a nodule on my thyroid.

My question is this, is there hope that my hair will regrow? I can deal with going gray, just not bald!
~Shelly

Don't look to the past, there's nothing new there for you.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Thin hair and hair loss.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 07:41:44 AM »
My hair has always been fine (thin strands) but thick (many strands on my head).

When I took the anti seizure medications that relieve nerve pain, I had hair loss which mean fewer strands on my head.  That is I now have fine and thin hair.  I wear my hair short, color it (which adds body) and have it cut frequently.

I have heard:  A woman's hair is 'the cross she bears'.  how our hair looks is extremely important to us, for better or worse.  I have often wished I could deal with my hair the way most men used to do.  Just get it cut very short and forget about it.  Now, however, men also have obsessions with their hair and their body (advertising pays off!).

My body also produces sweat only in my head, so often my hair is dripping wet.  That means that I must wash it EVERY DAY for it to look halfway decent. 

One day I know I will just give up all vanity........   But that doesn't seem to have arrived.

You can have 'extensions' and 'weaves' added to your hair to give volume/length.

It sounds like your hair, DeadGirl75, has always been your crowning glory.  Many conditions, especially thyroid, can affect your hair.  I do hope you find help.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Blepharitis-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega Fish Oil,

DeadGirl75

• Dark Moon Series
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 12:16:42 PM »
My hair has always been fine (thin strands) but thick (many strands on my head).

When I took the anti seizure medications that relieve nerve pain, I had hair loss which mean fewer strands on my head.  That is I now have fine and thin hair.  I wear my hair short, color it (which adds body) and have it cut frequently.

I have heard:  A woman's hair is 'the cross she bears'.  how our hair looks is extremely important to us, for better or worse.  I have often wished I could deal with my hair the way most men used to do.  Just get it cut very short and forget about it.  Now, however, men also have obsessions with their hair and their body (advertising pays off!).

My body also produces sweat only in my head, so often my hair is dripping wet.  That means that I must wash it EVERY DAY for it to look halfway decent. 

One day I know I will just give up all vanity........   But that doesn't seem to have arrived.

You can have 'extensions' and 'weaves' added to your hair to give volume/length.

It sounds like your hair, DeadGirl75, has always been your crowning glory.  Many conditions, especially thyroid, can affect your hair.  I do hope you find help.

Hugs,  Elaine

Actually, I'm not one of those girls who stressed over hair. I hated having to curl it when it was shorter. I grew it out so I didn't have to. Also, when I donated it to locks of love when my son was younger, he was seriously traumatized and I promised him I'd never cut it again, unless it was a trim of course. I'm very low maintenance and I'm letting the gray come in without stressing. I call it strands of glitter. I've always shed a lot of hair, but now it just seems very thin on top. I don't want to go bald, but if it looks bad, I'll shave it off. LOL So, no, my hair isn't my crowning glory. :D
~Shelly

Judie P

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:21:08 PM »
Thyroid can definitely do it.  Are you sure it is falling out or is it breaking off?
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

DeadGirl75

• Dark Moon Series
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 10:31:03 PM »
Thyroid can definitely do it.  Are you sure it is falling out or is it breaking off?

Oh, no. This is full strands. If I were to rake my fingers through my hair right now, I'd get at least ten strands. I'm ALWAYS finding my hair in places. Kitchen sink, bathroom floor, all over.
~Shelly

Deb 27

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 12:53:37 PM »
Thyroid problems can do it. It should grow back when corrected. Also vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause hair loss along with mess.  I noticed a lot of. New growth when I started hair ,skin and nail vitamins. I am lucky I started out with a ton of hair. It is thinner around the front mostly.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement.

DeadGirl75

• Dark Moon Series
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 04:32:23 PM »
My family doctor is scheduling me to see the endocrinologist. I hope that it's something easily remedied and it will start to grow back.
~Shelly

meow

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
It will grow back, but it takes time. Thyroid adjustments have to be done gradually, or even MORE hair can fall out.

In the meantime, there's a product called Topix. Little keratin fibers, like a powder, that you can sprinkle on your scalp, use your fingertips to lightly distribute it, and a fixative spray that holds them until you shampoo. Water alone won't wash them out.
Topix is at beauty supply places, and you can get it online. It's expensive--$50 for both products-- but a little goes a very long way. That $50 is probably a year's supply.

I've been using it, and I feel a little better about my hair. My thyroid is acting insane, and I am sooo tired of feeling tired, fat and bald.
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)