Author Topic: Hot Burning Skin Rash  (Read 244 times)

jl54

Hot Burning Skin Rash
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:35:22 AM »
Hi All

i really would be grateful for any help or advice as I am at my wits end with my skin burning hot, itchy with a raised rash.

i have had secondary SS for the past 30 years and am wondering if this could be one of the many symptoms.  Having visited the doctor she first thought is was cellulitis but the burning hot rash was on both my arms and said she had no idea so gave me antihistamine tablets and a steroid cream.  I am due to go back next week.

These unpleasant episodes can last a few days and then return again a day later on different parts of the body.

I also sometimes get this in my feet and ankles and the only slight relief is when I put them in a bowl of cold water, which turns warm very quickly. 

Do I need a blood test or a referral to a dermatologist or neurologist?

Any advice would be most gratefully received.  Thank you all so much.

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Hot Burning Skin Rash
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
I have not clue at the moment but it sounds miserable. I do think of a condition that normally affects the face, ear and also at times the nose and throat which can be dangerous. It is called angioedema and is treated with a drug like Zryec and sometimes steroids. Just a thought.

Have you seen a dermatologist? There are a lot of autoimmune skin diseases that have their own diagnosis and not related to a Sjogrens or lupus, etc. diagnosis. You may need to get a second opinion before this is over. Skin rashes are such a pain to diagnose. I had a rash that would come on my arms and swell up a lot, red, hot, looked like hives,etc. Finally saw a dermatopathologist who did cultures and biopsies and diagnosed it as Bullous Pemphoid  autoimmune disease with a bacterial and fungal infection. You may be having more than one issue going on. I know the burning is miserable. My doc used antibiotics, antifungal cream and predisone burst and taper. I also had a bullae, which is basically a big blister, about 13 cm big on the back of my arm. I did not know it was there.

Now I use Momentasone cream for my arm lesions (which come seldom and not very large) plus the IVIG that I get for my Myasthenia gravis targets the pemphigoid also. Good luck. Irish

bartolo

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 03:26:00 AM »
A dermatologist can tell.

Hives (urticaria) appears as a bumpy or patchy pinkish rash that can persist for several hours, not sure if days. In this case, antihistamines would help.

I was initially thinking, it could be shingles, but this usually appears only on one side at a time and persists for several weeks.

Can you describe the rash a bit more (how big is it, color, is it smooth or scally or crusty, does it look ike filled with fluid, is it on the inner or outer sides of the arms...).

Atlasdermatologico.com.br
and
DermnetNZ.org

have a lot of photos, but you would need to know what to search for. In DermnetNZ.org you can start to search like "red rash" to get a list of possible conditions.

jl54

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 08:44:26 AM »
Hello

Thank you both so much for your replies.

Bartolo - the rash is raised and can start on the top of my arms and spread to the inner and outers sides, almost covering half of the arm.  It is extremely hot to touch and can appear on my legs, feet and stomach, the irritation is bad.  Having looked at some of the images on the internet, it looks similar to the hives rash. Antihistamine does give a little relief temporarily but unfortunately the night times are the worst as I cannot have anything covering the rash because of the heat.  Some nights I have to sleep with my feet uncovered to keep them cool.

Thanks for the websites will take a look.

I am due to see the doctor this week so will suggest a referral to a dermatologist. 

Thanks Irish for your help and suggestions, I will report back once I have a firm diagnosis.

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »
Hey there! Sorry you're itching! I actually broke out in the same rash from the neck down, both arms, torso and both legs sparing only the hands and face. The itch was unimaginable! After three days of suffering I saw a GP and he put me on a medrol dose pack and atarax for the itch. Cleared it right up again. He did say if it comes back he wants to order a skin biopsy. Thankfully I have not broken out like that again, but I do go through the occasional itching bouts that drive me wonkers. I think it helps that I am on longterm 10 mg prednisone. I mentioned it to my immunologist/allergist and he diagnosed me with autoimmune uticaria which can be common with other autoimmune diseases. Told me to take 3-4 benadryl a day or another anti histamine and tell him which dose worked. Actually I haven't been back since. That amount of benadryl just knocks me out for the day and is just not do-able. He wouldn't even refill the atarax. Thankfully I still have some left eventhough it barely works. I'm currently looking for another doctor.
plaquenil, requip, symbecort, protonix zantac,daily 10mg prednisone,B2, B6, D3, spiriva,symbacort, albuterol and 7% saline nebulizer, topiramate, nifedipine,synthroid,dilantin, orencia, rifampin, ethambutol, levaquin, cevimeline, xiidra eyedrops

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 06:18:36 PM »
I get rashes occasionally and have had bad allergic reaction to one of my IVIG products some years ago. Soo, when I start to itch, usually on my upper back of neck, I wait about 5 minutes and if this itch is just picking away I take my antihistamine and that usually stops it in its track.

I don't take benedryl as I take long naps with that. My doc ordered Xyzal for me years ago. It is a second cousin to benedryl and Zyrtec only it doesn't make you sleepy. It needs a prescription and is spendy but I don't use that much of it so I buy it. Seems like when I get an itchy day I will have several of them in the next 2 weeks. Sort of goes in spurts. Irish

bartolo

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 03:39:08 AM »
Hello

Bartolo - the rash is raised and can start on the top of my arms and spread to the inner and outers sides, almost covering half of the arm.  It is extremely hot to touch and can appear on my legs, feet and stomach, the irritation is bad.  Having looked at some of the images on the internet, it looks similar to the hives rash. Antihistamine does give a little relief temporarily but unfortunately the night times are the worst as I cannot have anything covering the rash because of the heat.  Some nights I have to sleep with my feet uncovered to keep them cool.

I am due to see the doctor this week so will suggest a referral to a dermatologist. 

It also sounds as hives (urticaria) to me. As mentioned, it can be autoimmune, but also as an allergic reaction to food, clothes, detergents or cremes. It is an allergologist who can make a diagnosis.

A rash from an infection would probably not appear and disappear so quickly.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
If unable to have a rash on your body when you see the doctor be sure to take pictures of it daily as it comes on and leaves. This will maybe help him in his diagnosis. Make sure to get a far away view and a close up view to see if there are vesicles, etc in the rash. Irish