Author Topic: Let's compare holiday weather reports!  (Read 399 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Let's compare holiday weather reports!
« on: November 21, 2016, 06:43:54 PM »
It is always interesting to see what the weather is doing elsewhere. I just read on my phone weather today that out East there was 18 inches of snow. I was so surprised.

In MN we had a foot of snow or so up in Duluth but in the southern part of the state where I am we had no snow. I am up north and west of the Twin Cities for the week and there is still some snow on the ground. They did not get much but this morning when I went for my IVIG at 7 AM it was 23 degrees and east by the Mississippi it was 8 degrees.

It was chilly but sunny today without much wind so that is a good day in MN. The weather has been so mild and sunny this past 6 weeks or so. Waking up every day to sunny skies with not much wind at time plus stays the same all day and starts in good the next. This is not normal weather for MN but we have all enjoyed it.

The 2 large maple trees in my yard dropped these huge leaves and all over the yard and my grandson raked and I did a little also. The leaves were so large and light that there was no weight on my very small plastic lightweight rake. Didn't rake long but it was fun to get some exercise.

The southern part of MN got those terrible rains about 2 months ago and people are still fixing up their basements. It was terrible as a huge amount of our town had lots of water as did so many others in the area. Some of them are still without water as their wells were so contaminated. Many pictures of flooding in southern mn and up into the cities that were hard to believe. We always think it will never happen to us.

The funny thing about this rain is I didn't hear it. I have lost the hearing in one ear and 1/2 hearing in the other ear and my house is super insulated walls and roof. I tell the kids that if there is bad weather they better call me or check on me cause I could float way in my sleep. So far, so good. I even miss the blizzards in the winter and that makes me sad cause I love the sound of a snow storm.

Hope you all have a good week and blessed Thanksgiving day. Irish

Pete0211

Re: Let's compare holiday weather reports!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:18:56 AM »
I'm in SE PA for the holidays with my family. When the front came in we had minimal snow flurries, but it was cold and very windy Sunday and yesterday, with gusts to about 50mph, and sustained winds in the 20s. Most of the leaves are no the ground, but some trees are still holding out quite admirably, especially after the winds.

Temps have been in the low 30s (low 20s with wind chill) to mid 50s, and expected to stay in the mid 50s / low 40s for the rest of the week, with rain on Thursday.

Weather back home on the NC coast is just a bit warmer, but is supposed to hit the 70s Thursday and Friday  :o

As an aside, I hate winter weather where I need to use my forced air heat / electric heat. My brother's house uses a geothermal system and central humidifier, and the heat never feels artificial or stuffy. I've been sleeping like a baby up here!
Male 48 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Vit. C, Vit. D3

quietdynamics

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:56:53 PM »

DH headed out to Buffalo, NY Tuesday and started seeing snow near Scranton. Seems the area got 20" and up to 30" near Rochester, NY.
Here in Central NJ (along Delaware River) just a lot of wind (howling at night) and temps at night mid 30's.  Tomorrow prediction is some rain with a high of 52 degrees. Traffic guaranteed. And NYC parade on alert..  :-[
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 03:32:26 AM »
It is suppose to be in the 50's today, but we have had very cold temps down in the 20's at night. We are in the area East TN. and have no rain, and all the dry leaves with many fires. We so need some good rain.

Going to my youngest sister and brother in laws house today for dinner. She is excited about it especially this year since our dad passed away August 1st.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, diabetes, asthma, Polycystic ovaries, and Gerd. Meds - Pilocarpine, Synthroid, Effexor, Cpap, aspirin, Prilosec, Neurontin, Xanax, eye Drops, vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Proventil- Retired Teacher/Disabled

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 07:55:06 AM »
I am in Brooklyn Center, a suburb of the Minneapolis. We had about an inch of slush and snow. I helped Jan shovel the driveway and walks. I had to take several breaks. She went on to shovel out two of our neighbors driveways and the plow mound from a third neighbor.

It started to dry off last night. I hear it is still wet further south where we are going for the day. We will be with our daughter in Bloomington for dinner today. Our grandsons will want to go bowling with Jan this evening.

I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving with out too much argument.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Deb 27

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 03:35:12 PM »
I'm a little late on this one but we were in south Florida for Thanksgiving. The weather was perfect, in the 70's-low 80's with little humidity.

I hope in north Florida where we live we will have some cool weather for Christmas!!! My one big wish! We are getting cold weather later this week, but then it will warm up. We get these cycles, so it depends on how it will hit for Christmas.
Sjogrens and ?fibromyalgia,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, d-mannose.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 05:00:15 PM »
oodI would not be surprised if you are cool in Florida. I talked to my son as he was on the way to the airport for a 3 day seminar in Georgia. We live in MN and it was below 20 today and to get colder. Son said it was 32 in Georgia today. Talked to my BIL in Mesa This past weekend and he said it was cooling off and quite chilly . The humidity was higher than usual and they aren't used to this.

I am not feeling so hot these days and the idea of having to deal with the cold this year makes me a whimp. Good luck to you. Irish

lorigacc

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 10:29:09 AM »
20's-30's in northeast pa.....love how pretty the snow is, but CANNOT deal with the cold anymore. I am starting to understand why folks move south when they age ;)
Secondary Sjogrens, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Vertebral Compression Fractures, Kyphosis, Hiatal hernia
   Plaquenil, Forteo injections, Restasis, Prinivil, Ecotrin, Calcium, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish Oil

Carebear

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 11:43:39 AM »
Up here in Western Canada it is bitterly cold.  With the wind chill factored in it's been -30 to -35 Celsius for the week.  I expect this for many more weeks, and it is wreaking havoc with my body. 
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Carebear

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 09:53:01 PM »
Update:  Tonight it will drop down to -40 C.  When it "warms" up to -17 C next week for a couple of days it will feel like a heat wave!
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

aussie mum

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 04:21:44 AM »
On the other side of the world (Sydney, Australia) we've already had some pretty hot days this summer, with some cracking thunderstorms at night.
Maximum Temps ranging from 23C to 37C but the humidity is the hardest to deal with. Thank goodness for air conditioning !

Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »
Winter is definitely here. Today it was 4 degrees above zero this morning. About 11AM it started snowing at a nice pace that is just slowly piling up. Supposed to be 6 inches by morning. If this just keeps at it though we will have more. No wind in town but I hade lived in the country for 38 years and my 2 sons are out there getting tractors and blowers ready for blowing and pushing snow.

They said if we get as much snow as we did rain we will be in big trouble. Maybe history is repeating itself. WE moved to the country when the boys were small in 1977 and we had such bad winters in 77-78 and 78-79. And then the bad winters with cold, wind and snow just kept on coming. !983 we had 80n below wind chills and that was terrible.

Hope you are all in safe places out of the weather. Irish

Puzzled

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 11:11:56 PM »
Irish, I'm always amazed at the temps you have.  I can barely stand the cold we get here and would not do well in your weather.  I hope you are alright and there is no repeat of the weather you had when younger. Be safe and warm.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 11:06:40 AM »
Hi  :)

I'm in the UK and so far we are having a mild winter.

Later this week though - I am flying to MO to spend Christmas with my son, his wife and two grandchildren - one of which we haven't met yet.
My son has told me to pack warm clothes as it's expected to be cold.

Any of you know how cold? I know my son's house is usually warmer than our summers!!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 04:30:52 PM »
Scottie, I just pulled up The Weather Channel for the 18 and 19th of Dec in MN and it is to be 5 below zero about that time in MN. That means it should be a little warmer in MO.

I would make sure to bring winter boots, gloves, headscarf, hat, and maybe even some of the face masks because of the very cold air. I always try to wear these at times when windy and really cold. I also use handerchiefs to cover my mouth between car and building often.

Also, dressing in layers works the best. I like the little strappy tops under my blouse or shirt to keep warm. Polyester slacks aren't are warm as blue jeans. I don't wear panty hose either and always wear socks inside my boots. Actually, after one has lived around the cold for awhile your body sort of acclimates to it. We have been warmer in the states than we were all those years ago but I have heard that some of this weather may come back. In the bad cold people don't go out without a darned good reason, work, doctor, get groceries. We also combine trips to save wear and tear on us and on our cars.

I am glad you get to see your son's family again. Seems like that baby was just born. Hope you have a safe trip and a great visit. Hugs, Irish