Author Topic: New prescription eye drop Xiidra  (Read 10229 times)

gurs

New prescription eye drop Xiidra
« on: October 28, 2016, 10:37:26 AM »
I just saw some ads for this new dry eye drop...wondering if anyone tried it yet, and/or how it may differ from restatis?
Guess its called Xiidra (lifitegrast opthamalic solution 5%)

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
Re: New prescription eye drop Xiidra
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 03:44:13 PM »
I was given Xiidra by my opthalmologist at the beginning of the month and some antibiotic eyedrops for the mgd. I must confess I have not used the xiidra religeously so I can't give you a thumbs up or down.
Xiidra was approved by the FDA in September. My doctor had just come back from a sjogren's conference, he heads the sjogren's clinic at Baylor here in Houston, and has heard many positive things from patients who were already on it. It's the only kind currently on the market. This is from the leaflet.
Mechanism of Action: Liftergast binds to the integrin lymphocyte funtion associated antigen-1, a cell surface protein found on leukolytes and blocks the interaction of LFA-1 with it's cognate ligand intercellular adhesion molecule-1 or ICAM-1. iCAM-1 may be overexpressed in corneal and conjunctival tissue in dry eyes. LFA-1/ICAM-1 interaction can contribute to the formation of an immunological synapse resulting in T-cell activation and migration to target tissues.

So in other words Xiidra is a T-Cell inhibitor.
Hope this helps?
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 08:55:22 PM »
My eye doctor daughter in law offered this drug in place of Restasis and I refused it. She doesn't know how people are going to respond to it over the long haul. She did say that it is cheaper than Restasis right now but she feels that after a lot of people have switched to it and they have they customer base up the cost will go p also. She said that what the drug companies do with the eye drops. God Bless the drug companies. Irish

gurs

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 04:34:54 AM »
I went to the manufacturers website, and they offered the first month free so I guess I will try it. I cant find any pricing on the Medicare.Gov website for the prices for next year. Im still not sure what company Im going to choose.

So many dry eye commercials...I guess its a good thing. Would love it if one of them would mention Sjogrens. Ha!

thanks for the info

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.

Sooki

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 08:21:06 AM »
I've been using Xiidra for about 3 weeks now.  I'm still using Restasis too - they do different things.

First of all, Xiidra really stings for the first few days (hang-onto-the-side-of-the-sink kind of sting).  But it's relatively brief.  I was really motivated so kept on.  And it makes vision quite blurry for awhile, although not every time.  And the blurry can happen 5-10 mins later.

It does seem to be helping the moisture in my eyes. So I'm going to keep on with it for now.

It's very expensive - about $400 a month without insurance - it was $140/mo with Medicare part d.  But the dr gave me 3 weeks worth of samples and a coupon for a free month (with insurance) with discounts afterwards ("prices as low as $20 a month" with insurance) - I'll see during my next refill.  I'm not sure how long the discount will be good for, but I'm hoping for a year.  The free month was truly free.

Unlike Restasis, the vials aren't resealable.  There are only 3 drops in each vial and even if you try to save that third drop, it evaporates by the end of the day. (and it degrades in light btw) So a month is really a month.

I started Cliradex wipes at the same time (for Demodex on eyelid margins).  These also sting like crazy (Restasis is now my happy drop!).  So I can't totally ascribe the improvement to Xiidra alone, but the moisture came back after maybe 2 weeks of Xiidra.  If you decide to try it, you should see effects within 2-3 weeks, if it's going to help, based on my experience.

68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

Way2dry

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 08:47:55 AM »
So glad someone started this thread.  My eye Dr. just told me about Xiidra and gave me a coupon for 1 month free if I wanted to try it.  He has just started using it with his dry eye patients and said it was too soon yet for him to tell how well it's working.  He said it takes several weeks for it to work.  He is also keeping his patients on Restasis at the same time.  I think I'll wait a little bit before I try it.  Hope to hear from more here that it works for them.

Primary Sjogren's dx'd 2013 on symptoms. Blood tests neg. Breast cancer 2013. Dry everything. Tinnitus, GERD,Tamoxifen, vit d, Restasis & Evoxac stopped working, COQ10, fish oil

keelton

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
If you continue to take restasis how often do you take each one ?

Sooki

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 01:33:22 PM »
I still take Restasis twice a day and Xiidra twice a day.  But not at the same time.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

Tharrell

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 09:16:29 PM »
I guess I'll be good and just grit my teeth if the stinging only lasts a couple of days. For me Xiidra is cheaper. With BCBS of Texas I paid $50 for restasis and I pay $30 for Xiidra. I'm not using restasis, but I am using antibiotic eye drops for the meiobian gland dysfunction. I already have improvement in tear production thanks to orencia injections.
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,

gurs

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 04:43:24 AM »
The drier the eye, the more burning you will get it seems. I had a hard time with restatis and had to stop. Since this is free for 1st month, will give it a try.

Gursie

Tharrell

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 04:10:13 PM »
My doctor said that's why most patients give up on restasis, the burning, I could never get it to stop despite refrigerating it. He said Xiidra doesn't burn like that. We'll see.

Kadiddle

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »
I just finished my first month of Xiidra and my corneal ulcer and erosions are healed finally! Unfortunately, that was a free first month. My insurance will not cover it and for me is would be almost $700 a month. So...I will have to try Restasis which I tried several years ago. They stung and made my eyes goopy. So...I'll try it again. If no change, then I can petition the insurance company to pay. We'll see what happens. But I was VERY HAPPY with Xiidra.
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

Sooki

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 06:31:48 PM »
Kadiddle - You weren't able to get the discount mentioned on the Xiidra website for months 2-12??  I hope mine comes through next month.  The Walmart pharmacy said it was $400 without insurance and were optimistic about the subsequent discounts - might a different pharmacy be better?  Maybe email the company and see if there's something they can help with - I know they're really promoting it big time this year.

Kadiddle

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 07:56:06 PM »
Sooki, I will check it out again. I am so scatter-brained I missed that part. I'll check out the website and see what I can do. I would LOVE to stay on the Xiidra. It has made a huge difference.

Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

gurs

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 04:01:21 AM »
I called my current script company and they wont cover..said it would be $400.00 for month supply. I also contacted a few others I can choose from for 2017 if i want to change, they wont cover as well? what the heck.

Im going to get my free month supply today. This is crazy..

Gursie