Author Topic: Vitamin C good or bad for autoimmune diseases  (Read 1527 times)

GgcJap

Vitamin C good or bad for autoimmune diseases
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:33:13 PM »
Hi all, after trolling the boards for the last month I still haven't been able to narrow down an answer.
Is vitamin c good or bad for autoimmune, and what are your reasons for thinking so.
I've read that an overactive immune system doesn't need any help but at the same time isn't it because our immune systems are not working properly that we have this disease?

I'm really confused and would really like to hear your opinions be it for or against.

Thx GgcJap
38yo Australian M (living in Japan)
Blood work negative, biopsy negative,
Dry eyes, mouth, nose, random muscle pains at random times
Evoxac, Plaquenil

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Vitamin C good or bad for autoimmune diseases
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »
I was told at the pain clinic I went to I should take 500mg of C per day.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

GgcJap

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 06:02:20 PM »
Thx Joe, did they explain to you as to why you should and what the effects would be?

GgcJap
Evoxac, Plaquenil

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 07:56:21 PM »
just immune support. it is to stave off other ailments.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

GgcJap

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 10:22:26 PM »
Thx Joe

Makes sense I guess.
Much appreciated.

GgcJap
Evoxac, Plaquenil

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 10:45:11 PM »
I know that vitamin c is good for us, but I don't take it because I have bad reflux and vitamin c bothers my stomach. Irish

GgcJap

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 10:47:53 PM »
Hi Irish,

Thanks for the advise, I was a little worried it might make things worse but I`ll start taking it at 1000mg dose tonight I think.

I`ll be mindfull of the reflux.

Thx
GgcJap
Evoxac, Plaquenil

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 03:35:22 AM »
We've seen, many times, how differently each Sjogren's person is when it comes to symptoms and reactions to treatments. We've touched on underlying differences in body chemistry, when we talk about people with Sjogren's also having Immune deficiencies.  It almost seems like there are two camps...the Sjogren's with susceptibility to everything, and the Sjogren's who never catch anything!

I'm one of the latter, and can count on one hand the number of colds I've had in the 12 years since my diagnosis, and the number is probably lower in the 30+ years of my life as an adult before diagnosis. Unfortunately, when I do catch something, it's extremely virulent and aggressive, so my "colds" look more like pneumonia with symptoms of total body failure, and one required hospitalization and O2 therapy.

What this means for me, personally, is that I'm highly susceptible to the immune strengthening properties of Vitamin C (and any other immune booster, like echinacea), and as a result, if I overindulge (and I love citrus and kiwis, so I do occasionally) I get an increase in fatigue and urticaria (my body's first indications of flare).

I conducted a little experiment, some time ago, when I was having routing blood work 4 times a year (down to twice now) wherein I documented CRP and sed rate from one blood draw, then when I was within 2 weeks of the next one, I ate one orange daily; that was the only change I made. I had the expected fatigue and itchiness, but I was actually looking for some form of documentation, which I got!  My sed rate increased by 50%, and the CRP by 25%. I had had changes before, some up, some down, but the only time there was a significant change like that previously was when I started on 80 mg of Prednisone, and the drops were 30% and 15% respectively. There were no changes in IvE, so I know there was no allergic reaction involved.

I repeated the experiment a year later with very similar, if not quite as dramatic , results, but after that my blood testing was decreased and I didn't see that twice a year draws would give me the same kind of control over data, so I haven't done it since

All that to say....it's trial and error for most of us, and highly individualized.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

GgcJap

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 08:13:09 AM »
Hi Linda,
Thx for the information I'm beginning to understand that it's a very individual thing.
     Harder to understand the grey than it is the black and white and the thing is this disease seems to be all grey. :) I guess I'll work it out as I go but it's the fear that gets me. What if I make the wrong choice and things get worse. Then again what if I make the right choice and things get better. I'm not much of a gambler but it seems that's what this disease has led me to do with my health.
 I'm still not sure what camp in :)
You sound like you got a pretty good hold of it though and I really appreciate your advise/help.

I did take the vitamin c tonight and I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Although I also start prednisone 10mg tomorrow and will be hard to tell what side effects are from what I'm guessing. Roll the dice.

Thx again
GgcJap
Evoxac, Plaquenil

SunshineDaydream

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
I take 500 mg of vitamin c per day, and no more than that (e.g., no mega doses to prevent or treat a cold).

If regular vitamin c bothers your stomach or irritates your bladder, buffered vitamin c may work better for you as it is less acidic.

When trying something new, it's best to do one thing at a time so you can tell if the new thing makes a difference. Starting multiple things at the same time can lead to confusion as to which thing is causing something (either positive or negative) to happen. That being said, barring some extreme allergic reaction to vitamin c, in this case, the prednisone will have a more noticeable effect on you than vitamin c.

Also, remember to check for contraindications when starting something new.
Sjogren's, lupus and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Restasis 
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

GgcJap

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 05:37:30 PM »
Thanks SunshineDaydream,

I didnt seem to have a problem with the Vitamin C and I just took my first dose of Prednisolone and am waiting for the side effects. Hopefully there are none.

I understand what you mean by starting different things at the same time. Im taking a lot of different vitamins and im not sure what effect if any they're having. Im thinking of stopping them all and starting them again one by one. Or stopping them one by one and seeing what happens. Any suggestions?

That being said, barring some extreme allergic reaction to vitamin c, in this case, the prednisone will have a more noticeable effect on you than vitamin c.

Im not too sure what you mean by this, please forgive me for being negative but im still a little scared with all of this. Should I be expecting bad things to happen on the prednisone?

GgcJap

Evoxac, Plaquenil

SunshineDaydream

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 08:03:31 PM »
Didn't mean to alarm you, Ggc. To clarify, the effects of 1000 mg of vitamin c generally would likely be negligible, if even noticeable at all. Conversely, 10 mg of steroids will hopefully quickly have a strong positive effect and not much negative if use is short term. You didn't say how long you expect to be on steroids. Long-term use can lead to more severe negative effects.
Sjogren's, lupus and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Restasis 
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

GgcJap

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 08:25:36 PM »
Thx SunshineDaydream,

I'm on 10mg a day for 3 weeks just to see if it has any effect, if it does then maybe longer. They don't use plaquenil for ss in Japan but I'm thinking about buying  it off the net as it sounds much safer than long term steroid use. I have to find a dr that will help me with monitoring it though.

Nothing's ever as easy as we'd like it to be hey!
On the upside I haven't yet had any adverse reactions to the steroids. :)

GgcJap
Evoxac, Plaquenil

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 08:31:37 PM »
GgCJap, I just wanted to tell you that one should not take the Vit C with the Prednisone. In fact they should be taken at least 4-5 hours apart I would think. Also, you might want to take the Vit C late afternoon with food or at least with evening meal. Vit C can eat away at the lining of our stomach. People on iron are to take Vit C because it helps to increase the effectiveness of the iron. I always had such a stomach ache if I didn't take it with food. As a nurse we are taught to sort of make sure that certain pills aren't taken at the same time because of the increase of stomach irritation, nausea or other issues.

Hope you have good luck. Irish

GgcJap

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 08:58:47 PM »
Wow thanks Irish!

Of course my doctor mentioned nothing of this. I did take them together yesterday and the day before and funnily enough my stomach wasn't the best yesterday and my saliva output has also declined in the last couple of days. Not too sure if it's related but still very good food for thought.
     I'll start to take it iwith my evening meal.
If I could pick your brain a little more Irish (all my medications are in my signature now)
Is there any others you can see that should not be taken together or at a certain time?

As always much appreciated
GgcJap
Evoxac, Plaquenil