Author Topic: Body ache at night  (Read 950 times)

Bigleyj

Body ache at night
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:43:12 AM »
Hi everyone,
Does anyone else get body ache at night?  Seems like as soon as i go to bed everyrhing starts aching, legs worst. I have to wriggle about and toss and turn to cope with it but it's so hard to get to sleep.
Taking over the counter pain medication isn't helping.  Any suggestions?
I do ach all the time but during the day I seem to cope better and painkillers make it ok.
Cheers, Jo 😀
Female, 44 Yrs, Victoria, Australia. 
Diagnosed SJS Nov 2014, diagnosed skin-only Lupus Dec 2014, overactive thyroid medicated since 2011.
 plaquenil, carbimazole, escitalopram (esipram), second generation oral saliwell stent, vitamin D.
Came off low dose Valium mid-2015 😀

Gorn

• Also known as Kevin
Re: Body ache at night
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 03:43:40 PM »
Yup,

Definitely the aches.  In my case, however, I seem to notice more when I wake up in the morning, as a sign I am going to have a "bad" day.  (I have had to seriously redefine what makes a good day.)

It reminds me of when I have had a really bad case of the flu.  Everything just aches, a 'deep in the bones' kind of ache.  Maybe tylenol helps?
I tend not to try to go to work when I am feeling like this.  I think it is a kind of flare up, and I treat it like I'm having a couple of sick days. 

No suggestions about night time.  I sincerely hope you find something that helps. 

With love and positive vibes ...

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 03:49:40 AM »
This is a well known phenomenon in pain management, pain is worse at night for many people, and there are several very good reasons for that.

There are fewer distractions, lying in our bed, in a darkened room, we have little to focus on but our body, and if it's hurting, it's going to let us know!

Settling in, stretching and trying to find a comfortable position, our muscles are letting go of tension, and during the day, that tension has probably been constant, so the muscle fibers are experiencing changes in perception and probably hurting because of it.

Structural changes in our bodies. You breathe oxygen, and breathe out carbon dioxide. That’s common knowledge. But most people don’t know that your blood vessels expand when your body has a higher carbon dioxide concentration. Part of the circadian rhythm (your cycle of waking in the day, and sleeping at night) includes breathing more slowly in the evenings, when you are relaxing. That results in higher carbon dioxide levels in your bloodstream, which will dilate your blood vessels, and cause your nerves to become more sensitive.

Circadian rhythm also effects hormone levels, like cortisol and gonadotropin, and drops in these levels can unmask pain that has been there all along, and we become aware of it.

I used to find (when I could get in and out of a bathtub) that a relaxing bath before bed helped with the second issue, because the total relaxation and resulting stretch happened before I actually got to bed, and sometimes once in bed, if something ached a bit, I could tense that muscle group briefly, and then relax, and the ache would lessen.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 09:05:52 PM »
My answer to pain and many of the issues we deal with the the almighty rice pack or bag. One can buy them in the store or make them with an old sock and some rice. Actually, sometimes 2 socks is better as it makes for a stronger bag that also has a little bit of insulating quality. The tube socks work well.

Heat the rice bag in the microwave to a fairly low temp. Be aware that rice gets very hot. I heat mine to 1 minute and 10 seconds and that is enough. I have put this around my neck, back of my neck, upper back, lower back, wrapped it around my hands under a blanket, on my legs, feet, you name it----oh, but the craziest place is across the face and nose when I have nose pain. Where the nose pain comes from I don't know but possibly it the the cartiledge in my nose that connects the nose to the face. Another weird place I will get pain.

Also, for those of you with perineal pain which is related to many issues including neuropathy in the peudental nerve, one can sit on the rice bag. The heat just soothes the whole body and sometimes Tylenol at the same time will really take the edge off and help relax enough to sleep or at least lay and watch TV until you fall asleep from boredom. Good luck Irish

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
I take LDN (low dose naltrexone), which one takes in the evening. I take it about an hour before I am going to bed, and it has the effect of making me a bit sleepy.  Overall, it reduces my muscle pain throughout the day.  Before it, I compared my muscle pain to being like I'd been moving boxes all day.  But of course, I hadn't.

LDN definitely needs a doctor to assist in dosage etc.

My rheumy also suggested magnesium before bed.  I haven't seen much of a difference, but perhaps for others?

Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Bigleyj

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 01:08:07 PM »
Thanks everyone,

I tried the tense the muscles and then relax and that did seem to help.

I have just had the in-laws stay with us for 5 days so once I recover from this I'll try some other things.

Cheers
Jo
Female, 44 Yrs, Victoria, Australia. 
Diagnosed SJS Nov 2014, diagnosed skin-only Lupus Dec 2014, overactive thyroid medicated since 2011.
 plaquenil, carbimazole, escitalopram (esipram), second generation oral saliwell stent, vitamin D.
Came off low dose Valium mid-2015 😀