Author Topic: Low positive ANA  (Read 1431 times)

mbr22m

Low positive ANA
« on: October 27, 2016, 01:44:44 PM »
So, I just had my blood work done and now I have a low positive ANA and negative sjogrens antibodies. Several months ago it was negative ANA and positive SSB antibodies. All lupus antibody tests were negative. So confused.. Has anyone had this happen?
Celiac disease, gastritis, sjogren's, IC, fibromyalgia

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Low positive ANA
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 09:28:55 PM »
Our blood work is fickle. It really not much when you get down to it. Blood work can convert from positive to negative or vice versa. I had positive blood work for Sjogrens and then a couple of years later one of the blood work changed to negative. My immunologist says don't pay attention to the blood work. If you have positive and get a diagnosis and it goes negative you are still sick. Some doctors will say that you are in remission but that it not always true. You can have all the symptoms and still have negative blood work. My doc always says that he treats the patient not the blood work.

My doc doesn't do my autoimmune blood work all that often unless there is something that crops up. Probably once a year but not the every 2 month stuff. That can be a waste of time and money. It is hard to keep track of what blood work is done by which doc so that the insurance company isn't paying so much money and we don't get billed. Good luck, Irish

StevenB

• Primary SJS
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 07:40:57 AM »
That happens to me too.  When your positive vs negative numbers are close to the line they can dip up or down that line.

mbr22m

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »
Thanks Irish and Steven. I felt awful the day they did the blood work and thought for sure my numbers would be high. Fickle indeed.. sigh.

JoanElizabeth

• Life with a Flare
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 05:12:06 PM »
Blood work can be weird like that. If you have symptoms that call for stronger meds like DMARDs you may want to have want to have a lip biopsy since it is the gold standard in diagnosing. But if it would not change your treatment I wouldn't do it.
pSS, Autonomic Neuropathy (POTS and Gastroparesis), and Celiac Disease
Imuran, Prednisone, Celebrex, Pindolol, Florinef, Mestinon, Zofran, Amitriptyline, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B Complex, Co-Q10
Feeding Tube and IV Fluid Dependent

mbr22m

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »
Thanks, JoanElizabeth. My doc said to continue my current treatment plan, even though I'm not thrilled about being on DMARDs.  :(