Author Topic: Zylitol For Dry Mouth  (Read 1294 times)

Judie P

Zylitol For Dry Mouth
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:31:07 PM »
I have heard some of you discussing how Zylitol causes problems, so therefore you cannot take it.  At a Sjogren's Support Group yesterday, it was mentioned that some Zylitol is made from Birch Bark.  Birch Bark is used to make rubber.  Therefore, if you are allergic to latex, you cannot take that type of Zylitol.

Two products were handed out for free:  Basic Bites and ZyliMelts.  ZyliMelts had only five ingredients, one of them being Magnesium stearate.  The Basic Bites has too many ingredients for me, but it includes chocolate taste so....

Just passing the info along.
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

quietdynamics

Re: Zylitol For Dry Mouth
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:20:19 PM »

Rubber is made from rubber tree latex.. mostly plantations in southeast Asia.

"What are the two types of rubber?
The two types of rubber in common use today are natural and synthetic. Natural rubber comes from the rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis). When a tree matures at the age of six or seven years, the latex is collected from a diagonal incision in the tree trunk. The tapping process does not affect the health of the tree and the tree wound later heals itself. Synthetic rubber is made by man from petrochemical feedstocks. Crude oil is the principal raw material."

"Xylitol is naturally found in low concentrations in the fibers of many fruits and vegetables, and can be extracted from various berries, oats, and mushrooms, as well as fibrous material such as corn husks, sugar cane bagasse, and birch."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

The added benefit for those with Sjogrens and those with Dry Mouth ( most likely have an acidic pH. Also, mouth breathers, those who depend on others for their care, or those with acid reflux will likely have an altered pH as well. ) is the oral/dental benefits of Xylitol.
Here is an article directed to Dentists re: Xylitol.
http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2014/12/the-benefits-of-xylitol-for-your-dental-patients-are-numerous.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521385

Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Judie P

Re: Zylitol For Dry Mouth
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:32:19 PM »
Hi, QuietDynamics.  I have no idea where this  lady got her information.  My husband was with me and he heard it, too.  My husband and I could find nothing on the internet about it, either.  But... my husband has been having a hard time using zylitol products and he is highly allergic to birch trees, much more than latex.  Perhaps there is a link there.
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops