Author Topic: "Music is the universal language of mankind"  (Read 3278 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
"Music is the universal language of mankind"
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:05:54 AM »
"Music is the universal language of mankind".   Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Music - the sound that gets our toes tapping, head bobbing, and hips and feet moving.

Mankind through the ages has always had some sort of music - whether with drums, flutes, orchestras, vocals or a combination of all of these.

Have you ever watched a baby or young child "get down" when they hear music?  Music makes them happy and helps to relax them.

Music is capable of a number of heath benefits including lowering stress levels and anxiety, raising states of consciousness, changing moods, decreases pain, developing the brain, may aid memory, helps us to exercise, benefits premature babies, improves sleep quality, soothes and relaxes patients both before and after surgery, and is useful in meditation - all ways that have a ton of health benefits.

Regardless of your taste in music, it's clear that music benefits our health.

Being a baby boomer, I like the "oldie" music from the 60's, 70's, & 80's.  I have this collection of "Golden Age of Country" that has all the oldie, but goodies in country music.  I have LP albums (yes, they DO still exist, and I have a record player to even play them!) of the Monkees, the Beatles, Peter Paul and Mary, John Denver, The Commodores, Captain and Tennille, The Statler Brothers and many, many more.

Growing up, my sister and I would grab a hairbrush as a microphone and crank the music up and sing along.  It was fun.

We all have different kinds of music we like - what is some of the music that makes you happy, that changes your mood, that relaxes you?

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: "Music is the universal language of mankind"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 05:43:22 PM »
African harmonies. Acapella singing and drum beats.
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

onebratt08

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 03:40:43 PM »
My go to when I was upset has always been David Bowie (RIP).  :'(

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
Just curious - do any of our members play a musical instrument? 
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Sarah

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 02:39:43 PM »
Know how to play, or play on a regular basis?

In the past I have played the recorder, piano, trombone & euphonium but playing music has never provided me the emotional release that it provides some people and I currently don't play any of them.  I am however quite proud of my musical theory and background, how many people have seen let alone played music in Tenor clef.
Sarah

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 03:19:06 PM »
Sarah -

"Know how to play, or play on a regular basis?" - Either or . . just curious how many know how to play, or play an instrument. 

I would like to try and learn something, but I'm not sure what.  I don't know how to read music, so it would have to be easy!   ;)

Bucky

Sarah

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 12:02:01 AM »
Hi Bucky,
I forgot that I do currently play the dabuka (Middle Eastern Drum) with a group of women socially.  That doesn't require reading music and is fun.
Sarah

Deb 27

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 02:02:52 PM »
Yes, everyone understands music, laughter, a smile and tears, even our pets! I had a dog that LOVED Kenny G. It was real obvious when we turned that on, she would start nodding. She also liked piano music. One day I  had a piano concert on the TV, she came in, got on the couch and when it was over, she jumped down and went into the other room. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. I think she liked the music.

I've been wanting to "cut the cable" in the house and my husband just doesn't know what he'd do without cable tv. I suggested we listen to more music in the evenings............ Imagine that!!!

Thanks for this topic Bucky, it brings home a good point.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

BurntToast

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 12:07:08 PM »
I play piano at home and have recently joined a recorder group.  I'm playing descant at the moment but have just bought a treble recorder and when I can master it reliably without tending to go back to descant fingering, I shall play that in the group.  I love music and played violin at school but not much since.  Also have a flute and my daughter's clarinet in the cupboard.  I am going to learn ukelele next term in a group too.  I love it.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 01:52:43 AM »
BurntToast - I'd love to know how the ukulele goes for you - I've always thought it would be fun to try that - but, I don't know how to read music and don't know how difficult it would be to play without knowing how to read music.

Bucky

dlowenbehold

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 04:16:14 PM »
Bucky, I have everyone one of the albums you named except that country collection. Sounds good though. My 11 year old is extremely gifted with music and plays piano and drums. He loves 50's and 70's music, but not 60's or 80's which is funny to me. He is currently obsessed with watching Chicago, Live at Tanglewood on YouTube and trying to pick out pieces of the keyboard parts by ear. One of my greatest blessings in life has been to enjoy this musical kid I have. I used to play myself, but have gotten away from it since feeling so rotten. I hope my new meds will help.
Female - age 50 - Sjogren's, Graves disease/hypothyroid, Celiac disease, sensorineural hearing loss, sleep apnea, currently testing for narcolepsy. Just started Plaquenil - woohoo!

Interests: playing piano, dabble with bass, supporting my musical family, feel good movies

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 03:47:57 AM »
I remember a day my (then) young teenage son arrived home, probably 1988 or so, with fantastic news! He'd just heard an amazing new band and they were going to totally take over and I had to get him their tapes!

They were Dire Straits, and I'd been a fan of them together and Mark Knopfler in particular, since about the time he was born LOL. Still had to get him his own tapes though, sharing with Mom just wasn't cool.

It's so nice to be able to share musical appreciation through the generations.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 04:22:55 AM »
Bucky I am with you. I remember all of those, and I love Peter, Paul, and Mary. I got to go to a Johnny Rivers concert many years ago now, and to one by the guy that sings "I'm Proud to Be An American."

Than I will just come across a song here and there someone sings that I find beautiful.

Years ago I learned to play the piano, but forgot most of it now. I have a guitar wanting to learn to play, but haven't touched it in awhile.

My husband before me was a professional trombone player.  My son played trumpet, banjo, and the violin, but he hasn't in awhile either. My daughter in law plays the organ, and use to play a flute.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi