Author Topic: Depression is a SYMPTOM, not a moral issue  (Read 2464 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Depression is a SYMPTOM, not a moral issue
« on: December 13, 2015, 09:32:53 AM »
Dearest Sjogren's Angels,

I feel compelled to say this again and again:  Depression is a SYMPTOM of our Immune Disorder.  It is NOT OUR FAULT and it is not a moral issue, not a cause for shame.

AND YET, depression makes me ashamed, guilty, sad.  It isn't like fatigue, it isn't like pain, it isn't like dryness, or nerve damage, or bladder dysfunction.  It isn't like severe Coronary Artery Disease, or anemia.  It isn't like anything else caused by our disease.

It is the only  symptom that becomes part of my thinking, of my feeling, and closes down my ability to feel joy and hope.

I am focussing on this once again, because a few hours with a very bright light STOPS my depression in its tracks.

YES, depression just goes away.

And when I had two months of depression appearing like clockwork with a flare every week, and then lifting with the flare every week, 9 weeks in a ROW, I saw depression for what it is, a SYMPTOM, separate from my core being, separate from ME, something inflicted on my by inflammation, swelling my brain and make me depressed. ME, whose very being is hopeful and happy!

Constant short term flares, appearing 48 hours after my IgG treatment, and lifting fairly quickly, only to return with the next weekly Subcutaneous IgG treatment, that showed me that depression is just part of the flare.

PLEASE, if your doctor or family tells you the you are depressed, don't deny it, just say, "OF COURSE, it's part of my Autoimmune condition.  CAUSED by the AI condition.  I'm doing everything I can to treat the depression, just as I treat the AI condition's many other terrible damages to my body and mind".   

Have courage, angels.   We are doing the best we can....we deserve love and acceptance for that brave effort!

Hugs,  Elaine

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:01:19 PM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

LovelyDay

Re: Depression is a SYMPTOM, not a moral issue
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:14:05 PM »
Thank you so much for the beautiful uplifting message, Elaine.

What kind of bright light did you buy? I can't tolerate SSRI it makes everything dry out.
anti-SSA, anti-SSB, Primary Sjogren's Syndrome, Interstitial Cystitis

Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain. ~~Joseph Campbell

Sharon

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 12:25:41 PM »
Hi Eilaine, thanks for this. Just wondering how AI can cause brain inflammation and how brain inflammation
can cause depression?
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 01:10:27 PM »
Well Sharon, it isn't exactly brain inflammation probably, just general inflammation putting pressure on everything, including our brains.

Inflammation is the culprit, causing pain, fatigue and depression.  The pressure on all the nerves is probably the cause of the depression as well as the pain.

http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/home/article/depression-and-inflammation-examining-the-link/b436332438ceca4baabe8be08701d6dc.html

http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/link-between-inflammation-pain-and-depression

This is  my desk light and Amazon smile.

smile.amazon.com/Travelite-Bright-Light-Therapy-Portable/dp/B002YSMEBY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450040825&sr=8-2&keywords=TRAVELITE+DESK+LAMP

I hope this helps.

Hugs,  Elaine

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:09:48 AM by Linda196 »
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Sharon

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 01:22:53 PM »
Thanks Elaine, just feeling crappy from SJS is reason enough for me to feel depressed.... :(
How long do you need to use the lamp for before feeling better?
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 01:57:35 PM »
Depression is a symptom of all diseases that leave you with constant or recurring pain. I read a number of white papers on it in 1984 -1986.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

jazzlover

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 02:27:52 PM »
Salicylates cause me to become depressed. I have to avoid them very carefully. Otherwise, I am fine.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 08:01:10 PM »
Elaine,

Thanks again for your excellent thoughts and advice.  I have been on Lexipro  for well over a year and I feel much better, but I told my Dr. That I started Lexipro, Plaquinil, and Pilocarpine all at the same time.  A heck of an adjustment.  Eventually I switched to Evoxac with much better results.

I was wondering if I should stop my anti depressive med because I feel better. And a part of me wants to say that what made me depressed were my untreated symptoms, and all I really needed was Plaquinil and Evoxac.  Another more conservative part of me says no and not to "mess with success".

I talked to my doctor about it and she and I came to the agreement that I should not stop taking it because I am "at a better place now", and maybe I should stay here a little while longer before trying to make any changes.

She also said that staying on the Medication long term was perfectly fine and would not hurt me.

So................................... I'll just keep on for awhile.  Depression and anxiety suck!!

Thanks again for all your valuable insight.  We all should be gentle and forgiving of ourselves.

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Nomad

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »
I think depression is often a symptom of disease.
I have low platelets and many doctors say it can cause depression and there is a medical reason for this.
And depression is basically a disease all by itself.
I loved your other thread about the light and how it helps you.
I, for years called myself a responsible "depressive."
Not sure what to make of that....but I can say that on the positive side, that taking action is key to bring about change.
So, I did everything possible to end my depression including: light exercise, therapy, certain vitamins, eating better and so forth.
Well, eventually, I succeeded! Darn, I was almost shocked.
In my humble opinion, what has helped me the most might be my vitamins!
D3, B complex, Fish Oil and a really good quality multi.
It's noticeable.  The difference is noticeable!
All the other things do help and no doubt I would have tried the light too.
Another very important thing for me, was having more control of my illnesses and also, more pain control.   I found a doctor who gives me a small amount of pain med for emergencies and this brings me a certain amount of calm, peace, dignity and self esteem.
I have had on and off issues with my health problems and related to that, not working...just pounding away at my self esteem. It's taken a lot of good old fashioned positive self talk to get me to a much better place (and some wonderful encouragement from this group was very helpful too!)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:11:22 PM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Judie P

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 12:02:16 PM »
I don't think they really know what causes depression, anxiety and hypochondriac symptoms in primary SJS, but they think it has something to do with ACTH and especially neuropeptides, and adrenal glands.  So.... neuropeptides can affect the neurotransmitters which are seritonin, dopamine, etc.  I am going to go towards the light!!!!
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

eija

• Serious case of hum-disease!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 05:14:24 PM »
I am going to go towards the light!!!!

Let's hope it's not the train...  ::) (sorry, bad humor)

Well, symptom or what ever, depression is not fun. I have what they call chronic moderate depression and it seems rather unresponsive to any treatment and it has made me unable to work - or even function. For the last couple of months I've been steadily going downhills again and at the moment I'm battling with myself wether to check in to hospital or not.

60 mg Cymbalta doesn't "heal" me. Maybe it takes away the pain, I don't know. I couldn't tolerate the bigger dose. There's some other medicine that could be tried, but for that I should first wean off of Cymbalta and probably would need to do that in a hospital. Then start the new med, wait for it to start helping - maybe just to realise that either it doesn't work at all or that I can't tolerate it at all. So is it worth the effort?

For so long I kept asking the docs if this depression was autoimmune but all they said was "it doesn't matter, it's treated the same anyway". Now I'm just too tired to care. I don't have much pain at all on most days and even though my eyes are dry I can deal with that. My problem is the fatigue, initiative-less-ness and just plain feeling like worse than crap all the time. Not being able to go to bed in a decent order and without a heavy dose of benzodiazepines. At this point it really doesn't matter if it's autoimmune or not. But yes, it's not a moral issue. That would be an easy one.

Ok, I think I'm wasted enough from the sedative to go to bed. Here's to hoping I can actually sleep!

Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops