Author Topic: Ubiquinol increases saliva  (Read 32826 times)

Sharon

Ubiquinol increases saliva
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »
Has anybody tried CoQ10 for dry mouth?
I came across studies that show it improves saliva secretion, specifically as Ubiquinol:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21406193

http://doctormurray.com/ubiquinone-and-ubiquinol-equally-effective-in-patients-with-dry-mouth-2/

Thing is, I'm taking so many supplements already as it is and they don't seem to help
so I'm wary about adding yet another.
Though if it actually works it would be worth it.
Suffering sooo much with dry mouth!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:04:33 PM by Sharon »
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

Nomad

Re: CoQ10 increases saliva?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »
I think it might, because when I take my supplements regularly, which includes co q 10, my saliva is better. Maybe, you just helped me figure out why.

I have heard it helps prevent migraines.  And helps with heart issues of all kinds. And helps a little with energy.  I have heard it is particularly helpful for those over 40 because our body makes less and less of this with age.

And, of course, I've heard if a person is on a Statin drugs, they definitely should take this.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:43:45 PM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Sooki

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:49:28 PM »
Ditto what Nomad said.  I have more saliva these days.  I started taking CoQ10 about a year ago along with other supplements.  It could be part of the reason.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

jazzlover

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 06:38:08 PM »
Wow .. maybe that's why I don't have dry mouth like most of you here. I've taken CoQ10 for the past 15 yrs.

SJS diagnosis about 10 yrs ago... but it's mostly my eyes.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

katie1111

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 03:35:33 AM »
I have taken CoQ10 for many years and still have a dry mouth.  For me it helps with the fatigue.

Katie 1111

Sharon

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 09:15:29 AM »
It mentions specifically Ubiquinol to assist with dry mouth.
In the trials it increased saliva production over 80% after a month.
However, if you have no saliva to begin with you won't have loads even with an 100% increase,
but it's better than no increase at all.
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 

jazzlover

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »
PS .. if you have heart problems or you take statins .. be SURE to add CoQ10.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Sharon

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 10:12:33 AM »
I have ordered Ubiqinol and will give it a serious try.
Something needs to work for me already!
I'll keep you all posted if it actually helps!

MetalFae

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 12:45:11 PM »
Wow.  :o  Lots of positive things about CoQ10. Maybe I should look into this... Looking through Medscape and it's recommended for a lot of things. Periodontal disease is a suggested use. Huh. Interestiiiiiing!

I don't see anything about it but just to make sure - any increased bleeding or low platelets associated with CoQ10 use?
Plaquenil 400mg, Salagen 7.5 3xday, Vyvanse 60mg, LoLoestrinfe, Premarin, Naproxen, Xopanex prn, probiotic, refresh drops, xylimelts, biotene toothpaste/mouthwash, Replens, B12, Vit D, melatonin, Flonase

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 01:37:19 PM »
I've taken CoQ10 for years and years.

I don't know about the saliva part.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

acer455

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »
 Does it help with the nose? As far as helping with dry nose?

Sharon

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 02:53:54 AM »
Hi Acer, can't find anything about it helping with dry nose, but you may want to check if it mentions it here:
http://www.doctoroz.com/article/ubiquinol-ally-against-aging

The article stresses you must take the form Ubiquinol for the beneficial effects mentioned.

BTW, the only thing that clears up my nose is Clarinase or Sudafed, but it worsens my dry mouth.

Jasper

• P SJS; SFN; Sensory Polyneuropathy/Ganglionopathy
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 08:03:29 AM »
I take CoQ10 and have done so for a little over 2 years. I actually started taking CoQ10 for other reasons. However, I have noticed a big improvement in my saliva production since starting CoQ10. And, yes, it should be the ubiquinol form. I use Life Extensions Super Ubiquinol CoQ10 100 mg with BioPQQ.

I cannot state for sure if the CoQ10 has caused the improvement. I started taking other supplements around the same time that I started the CoQ10 and I have added a few more since then. So I cannot say 100% that it is the CoQ10. However, one or several of them are helping because I take no prescription meds for dry mouth and my mouth is noticeably more moist.

As for dry nose, I use the saline irrigations and I take N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine 600 mg (Life Extensions) which has loosened up my nasal secretions tremendously so that I no longer have plugged sinus cavities. My nose even runs (clear drainage) (which is better than being dry and plugged). My ENT agreed that it was the N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine which was causing the improvement. N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine is actually used in Sjogren's to loosen up the mucous in the lungs. It appears that it also works on the sinus cavities and nose too.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

Deb 27

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 08:42:51 AM »
I've been considering getting some CoQ10 to help with energy and muscle aches. After what I read here, I will definitely get some. I'll let you know if it helps with the dryness. I don't want to take evoxac b//c I have a tendency towards asthma and sensitive stomach. I also take Maxi Tears and I think it helps the dryness a lot.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Sharon

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »
Thanks Jasper, the  N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine sounds great for sinuses and perhaps might help as well with the thick secretions
that may be causing my eyelid and parotid swelling. It's worth a shot. How much do you take daily? Just 1 pill of 600mg?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:46:27 AM by Sharon »