Author Topic: Your dose of plaquenil?  (Read 1788 times)

Deb 27

Your dose of plaquenil?
« on: September 11, 2015, 07:42:23 PM »
How much plaquenil do you take per day?? They have me on 400. I was curious b/c I thought I had read that when it gets in your system good, many docs take you down to 200. I was on 200 for a few months and felt nothing but they boosted it up to 400 and it made a difference in 4 months. My latest rheumy thinks I have a lot of fibromyalgia along with the sjogrens.  So, I dunno............... I have to go back to him in a few months. He's the only Dr. who doesn't think I also have RA. Two other rheumies and the radiologist who read my x rays thought I had an early stage of RA.........
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Princess Tusi

• everything is awesome-lego movie
Re: Your dose of plaquenil?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 01:21:26 AM »
Hi Deb,

I'm on 400, have been for the last 7mos and haven't noticed any improvement. :( My CRP continues to hover in the early teens, sicca sx worsening, arthritis flaring, fatigue....all despite 10mg prednisone daily as well ....
Ah well..

Caroline
PCOS '97, psoriasis, abdominal angina, connective tissue disorder with Sjogren's like symptoms '15. Cetirizine, Plaquenil, Prednisone,Gabapentin, Mycophenolate. AIP since 09/2015

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 05:50:27 AM »
None. It made me go blind for 6 hours on my first attempt.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Jasper

• P SJS; SFN; Sensory Polyneuropathy/Ganglionopathy
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »
My Rheumatologist started me out on 400 mg of Plaquenil per day (200 mg in the morning and 200 mg at dinner time).

I have been on it for 2 years. She is not planning to reduce it.

It took a few months before I felt full effect.  I do feel it helps the muscle and joint and tendon aches and pains as well as the dryness.

ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 10:52:11 AM »
I'm on 400 mg as well and take it as a single dose. I think it works more in the back ground and usually add on meds are needed. My former rheumy treated me for ra as well and my current one doesn't think I have it either because of negative bloodwork despite seronegative ra diagnosis by former rheumy at same clinic. Sigh
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

SjoGirl

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
Zero. Like Joe I suffered significant side effects on both attempts with Plaquenil, though not blindness.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

deniselb

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
I came down gradually from the 400 that I was on for the first two years. I take ten pills a week - 400 mg. three days a week and 200 mg. the other days. It works out to 286/day.

My doctor said I could try dropping it again to find the lowest dose was that would control my symptoms, but I don't think I will. I'm already well below what is believed to be the safe dose threshold of 6.5 mg/kg of lean body weight, and since the drug may be protective I would rather make sure I'm taking enough of it.

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 03:35:08 PM »

I have taken Plaquenil 200mg twice a day for 5years.

I noticed a difference in fatigue and joint pain after 4 months on it.

However,  after a year methotrexate was added d/t hand, wrist and foot pain

b/c I also have RA with sjogrens.

I take 8 tabs of methotrexate all at once on Wednesday night.

shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Deb 27

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 04:57:56 PM »
Tharrell, I've had the same thing with the on and off RA diagnosis.

They keep changing the supplier for my plaquenil and I think I go through an adjustment period every time.

I really think the plaquenil has some psychological effects on me too and I've heard that it can. I stress out very easily anymore.

But, it seems to work on my issues, so I guess I'll be on it for the duration. I have heard some get dropped down to 200 mg. We'll see what my rheumy says next time.

How awful that you had blindness in 5 hours Joe... That had to be terrifying.

Thanks for the replies.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.