Author Topic: Prednisolone  (Read 8377 times)

cari

Re: Prednisone
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 10:05:11 AM »
Dr. @ Sjogrens Center Rx'd prednisone extended trial.
Instructions in my case were:
Quantity 100 tablets @ 5mg. Take 3 once daily for 14 days then decrease by 2.5 weekly until 5mg daily. Stop.

Hope you get clarification from Rhuem on how to take med.

However, in your post "Dr. prescribed for flare during trip (away from home)" so not sure Dr. will be inclined to refill.  I believe they are cautious with Rx at this dose and it is meant to interrupt a flare.. similar to a pulse.

Side effects are usually for those patients who may have a medical condition requiring med long term. As with most medications "benefit vs.risk" in overall disease management/progression.
Even the long term use of OTC aspirin can have risks.. but, some people need the benefit.

As you likely are aware the efficacy of plaquinel is at the 4-6 month mark.

It's actually Prednisolone that I was prescribed and the dose is different. I'm waiting to hear from my prescribing rheumatologist on how to take it.  It may not even need a taper for a month, I don't know.  I understand that all drugs and supplements have risks, however some have more serious risks than others.  Yes I'm aware that hydroxychloroquine takes a while to kick in.  I was considering taking my prescription for prednisolone in order to feel better quicker than the hydroxy. allows. Thanks again :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:06:44 AM by cari »

cari

Re: Prednisolone
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 08:45:23 AM »
Saw a member of the Sjogrens team today.  She instructed me on how to take the prednisolone.  How to taper it, side effects etc

Thanks all :)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »
Are you able to share the info you got with us. I am wondering if it is different from the prednisone. Thanks Irish

cari

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 05:57:16 AM »
Are you able to share the info you got with us. I am wondering if it is different from the prednisone. Thanks Irish

Sure, I wrote it down:

1) Take the medication first thing in the morning as early as possible in order to keep in sync with Circadian rhythms.  It will help the medication stop affecting sleep.
2) Take on an empty stomach with water.
3) Only take if you have a flare, no other reason.
4) As soon as the flare subsides, start to taper.
5)  If the dose is 25mg, go to 15mg for 7 days.  Then 7.5 for 7 days.  Then 5mg for 7 days.
6) If when you cut to 15mg the flare comes back, then stay on 15mg. You can't move back up in medication once you start to taper.
7) If you start to experience side effects for example, psychosis or anxiety don't just stop, start the taper immediately and come off it.

She said that it's a very serious medication as are all steroids and to only take it in an emergency which would be a really bad flare.  She said that it can have serious side effects and to try to avoid taking it if I can. 

anabanana

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »
Also, it may work or it may not work for you-the prednisone.

It did not touch my pain and symptoms.

We are all different. Our disease and chemistry are different.

I was for 1 month on a moderate dose(40 mg), and then tapered for the next 3 months, because it did nothing for me, except weight loss and fat face :/

Don't be afraid. Just try it. Then you'll know. Good luck!

Focal lymphocytic sialadenitis less than 1 focus, Dry everything, Neuro symptoms, Muscle weakness, Fasciclations, High inflammatory CRP,Tremor,Balance issues,Dizziness.
Take vit-D3, fish omegas, calcium, magnesium w/B6, B12, Restasis, Systane Drops, Seronegative

MirkeshCat

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 06:00:01 AM »
Hi there,

I don?t post much but I read here all the time.

I am on 400 mg of Plaquenil (Hydroxy here in Germany) and 5 mg of Pred. The Pred really did make so much difference to me. When flaring I used to have itchy and burning skin that almost drove me mad in the past. With Pred, that is all gone now. I take 5mg permanently, with 10mg for flares. No side effects thus far, except for massive acne which I don?t care for at all.

I hope the Prednisone works for you as well and if so, I am sure it should kick in very soon. Please, let us know how it feels for you.

male, 37, married with children :)
Paramedic
SjS, Graves, PTSD, chronic EBV
Thyroxine, Plaquenil, Betablockers

cari

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 06:28:12 AM »
Thank you both anabanana and MirkeshCat for your responses.  It's very much appreciated as I'm very worried about taking this medication and even though the rheumatologist did a good job of telling me how to take it, her stark warnings weren't reassuring.

anabanana - no OTC pain killers or anti inflammatories thus far have helped with the pain I have experienced.  I had a shot of cortisone in April and though that helped lessen the inflammation of a flare it didn't help with joint pain which was still bad.  So it's the constant pain that is the problem for me and I was hoping the prednisolone would help but it seems not.

I have recently started magnesium malate and fresh turmeric and the pain seems to have lessened so I'm hoping that this is the magical formula or it could by the hydorxy. kicking in.

MirkeshCat - yes with the burning skin which was particularly bad on my thighs and shins.  The bad flare I had in April was so bad that it hurt my fingers to write on my computer and the shot helped stop that.  The burning still happens on my shins and my knee joints have been very painful but it is lessening.