Author Topic: Ativan vs. xanax  (Read 1947 times)

Liz D.

Ativan vs. xanax
« on: June 25, 2015, 10:07:11 AM »
I've been on Xanax for 20 years and am currently taking it to help me sleep. I have terrible insomnia. Doctor said since I'm not using Xanax for anxiety and just sleep, I should be switched to Ativan. So she sent in a new Rx for Ativan.

In your experiences, does Ativan cause more drowsiness? (hopefully!)

Liz D.
56 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

kimberly64

Re: Ativan vs. xanax
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »
Xanax is stronger I prefer Ativan and doesn't increase dryness like Xanax.
Kimberly
Sjogrens, Evoxac, Restasis , Omega3

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »
These drugs are both benzodiazopenes which means they are very similar. The Ativan has a shorter half life which means that you may not have as much morning grogginess. With that being said there is always the possibility that you could react differently to it. We are all different and you won't know til you try.

I am wondering if you doctor ever considered placing you on an antidepressant. This meds are used often for sleep as so many times the inability to sleep can be caused by depression. Depression can be so subtle and insomnia can result from decrease of brain chemicals that cause depression. This is something to discuss with your doctor. Make sure to take antidepressants that are not high in norepinephrine which can cause a person to be more wound up at times. It is important to find out what chemicals are in antidepressants in order to regulate symptoms that our body has. All antidepressants contain different chemical combinations and work in different ways.

The thought just occurred to me that the possibility of insomnia being caused by the Xanax is always a possibility. As I stated meds affect people differently. Ativan could have the same effect as the Xanax. Good luck. Irish

Liz D.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »
Thanks for replies.

Irish, I've been on antidepressants for 14 years now. Same one the whole time, Prozac. Sometimes I wonder if I just got a new kind, I'd feel better. We'll see.

I do agree with you that it is possible the Xanax could be one of the things causing my insomnia. I have cut way back on it and last night, I actually slept better.

I'll see how the Ativan works when it comes. Now that I have just gone through menopause and am feeling a bit better, maybe I won't even need that. Here's hoping!

Liz D.
56 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 03:49:28 PM »
Hi Liz,

If you need something for sleep, why not try low dose Seroquel?
For years I've taken 50 mg, it's very tolerable for Sjogren's patients. As it doesn't have much - or none at all anticholinergic effect - this was specially choosen for me. Officially Seroquel was intended as an atypical anti-psychotic, but for a while now it's also prescribed for insomina (& is great against depression too!).

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. And yes, children can be a blessing, but sometimes also a burdening pain in the you know what... lol  ;) :o
52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 1% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex