Author Topic: Why do we get so many UTI?  (Read 3880 times)

Deb 27

Why do we get so many UTI?
« on: May 04, 2015, 08:08:07 AM »
So, I've been getting a lot of UTI's. At first I thought it was lack of estrogen, so I went back on estrogen and use the patch. Well, I am getting them a lot again. I bought some d mannose and haven't taken it yet, came on vacation and got a UTI. Ugh! I sure wish I had started taking it.  The day before the UTI started, I didn't get my usual 8 glasses of water. I suspect that was it.

So, it seems like we get a lot of UTI's, is it part of the sjogresn dryness? Does Evoxac help? I've been on plaquenil for 6 weeks and it's only helping the dryness a little bit. Also, do we dehydrate faster than other people b/c of the SJS? I seems that way to me.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:07:54 PM by Deb 27 »
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

cari

Re: Why do we get some many UTI?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:22:44 AM »
We get a lot of UTIs because of dryness in the genitals.  I use coconut oil which is a natural antibacterial, I don't have baths and use only unperfumed natural soap. (I use savon de marseille and have done for years).  Cranberry juice unsweetened might be helpful or supplements if you are worried about teeth.  Try to keep away from antibiotics but if you have to use them, try and rebuild the gut enzymes.  I've been having UTIs and cystisis for years and this is how I keep them at bay.

Deb 27

Re: Why do we get so many UTI?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »
so cari do you  eat the coconut oil or use it down there?? Sorry to ask such a personal question....

I looked that up and yes, coconut oil even has medical peer reviewed literature about the antibacterial effects. I'll definitely give that a try. I really hate these darn things.
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

cari

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »
I use it 'down there' after a shower as we can get dry in that region and this dryness allows a build up of unhealthy bacteria.  The coconut oil should help keep that at bay and alleviate the dryness (can get itchy).  Cranberries have been used for years to maintain a clean bladder and they stop bacteria build up in the urinary tract.  We have to be careful with our teeth so take it in tablet form.  I don't really use it.  I just don't have baths (this really helps), drink lots of water and use savon de marseille and only get cystitis occasionally now.  I used to get cystitis once or twice a month.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:11:49 PM »
Deb, besides all the autoimmune stuff I see that you have type 2 diabetes. This puts you at higher risk for urinary tract infections. I would also make sure that your A1C is in a place where it should be. Might be that your body is also telling you that you need to keep the A1C a little lower.

Keep drinking the fluids and also make sure that you are not having vaginal infections. The vaginal infections are also more common with diabetes and this can also lead to more urinary tract infections. Good luck. Irish

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 11:51:40 PM »
I have had kidney infections since I was 16. I am almost 62 now. My youngest sister is in her late 40's and barely drinks water, and has even went to the hospital for dehydration, but never has a kidney infection.

I do believe it is our autoimmune that is doing it.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

LovelyDay

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »
If you have had chronic UTIs for years, I think it's fair to speak to a urologist about interstitial cystitis. Some people with SS develop IC.

It is most likely a recurrent UTI but I thought I had a recurrent UTI since I was a little girl. When I heard about IC and talked to a urologist who believes I have it, I stopped constantly taking antibiotics and addressed my UTIs, instead, as inflammation. Treating it this way has been really beneficial to me.

anti-SSA, anti-SSB, Primary Sjogren's Syndrome, Interstitial Cystitis

Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain. ~~Joseph Campbell

finallyadx

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 02:15:19 PM »
Lovelyday - what do you take for the inflammation?  I started dmannose awhile ago when I saw on this website that folks took it and stopped getting UTI's...but the thought of inflammation and treating that is interesting...
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc

LovelyDay

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 03:29:26 PM »
Short reply to finallyadx - I stop inflammation several ways.
"Flare-up" below is an episode of extreme urinary tract related pain. Mine feels like my lady parts are on fire.

Anti-inflammation diet <--- this changed a lot for me. There are several theories out there but I would try one by an M.D.
Steroid pack just for the serious flare-ups in inconvenient locations (the oh no I am trapped in this strange bathroom and I can't leave ones).
Benedryl for serious flare-ups that happen in my home.
Allegra for mild flare-ups.

anti-SSA, anti-SSB, Primary Sjogren's Syndrome, Interstitial Cystitis

Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain. ~~Joseph Campbell

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 04:35:41 AM »
Dear Deb,

For me the UTI's were related to the development of Interstitial Cystitis, an inflammation of the lining of the bladder.

Interstitial  Cystitis (IC) afflicts up to 50% of those with Sjogren's Syndrome.

About 3 years I learned about D-Mannose.  The National Institute of Health and other research agencies have determined that D-annose is extremely effective in preventing UTI's.

I have taken D-Mannose daily for 3 years an haven't had another UTI.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

Deb 27

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 07:42:24 AM »
Thank you for your responses. It certainly seems like we all have this in common. Gonna try the d mannose and coconut oil and hope for the best.
My A1c is pretty good at 6.2 and I did grow out bacteria each time I had a UTI.
So much to think about and do to take care of ourselves and I am still working. It's not very easy at all.

jazzlover

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »
I will not do without my D-Mannose. No infections since starting on it 7 yrs ago... I used to get them every few months.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease