Author Topic: What Makes You Feel Better With Chronic Illness?  (Read 11608 times)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
Re: What Makes You Feel Better With Chronic Illness?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2015, 01:21:20 AM »
Quietdynamics, that is funny. I kept developing a picture in my mind as I read your description of your punk tree.  ;) I use to have a great lightweight weed eater that I could manage, but it finally bit the dust.

I remember when my son was about 10 years old, and decided he wanted to play golf, and we got him a used set of clubs. We always tried to reinforce whatever he wanted to try as long as it was legal, and did not harm anyone. We did not golf so he didn't really have anyone to help him, but he went on to do many different things.

Today he has a good job, a great wife, flies large remote control planes as a hobby and to relax, is now a professional photographer, flies a real plane, he and his wife go 4-wheeling, camping, and have their own chickens for eggs.  ;)

As he grew up, I remember buying him a skate board at a yard sale. He then was out doing all kinds of dangerous tricks with a bigger one. Then bought him a little balloon tire motor bike, and after that he always kept in mind of another bike, but faster etc. He decided one day to take some art lessons, and enjoyed them for fun. He played a trumpet in band, his wife a flute. Since that time, he learned to play a guitar, a banjo, an a violin. His wife plays the organ in church. She loves to cook, and tells him to stay out of her kitchen except when dinner is ready then go to the dining room.  ;D He has a work shop, and so is always doing something.

I say all this to say, not only am I proud of both of them, but (I wish I had just a bit of that energy).

Kudos to your grand daughter. That sounds like a very special day.
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Ashewoman

• I'm in pretty good shape for the shape that I'm in
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 06:49:25 AM »
I recently read an article that talked about rats hitting a button for drugs over and over. Ironically, when they gave them a rat playground they stopped doing that. The result of the test was the idea that "your cage" is what decides how happy or unhappy you are.  That made perfect sense to me because until recently I had very little control over my personal environment, its appearance, and how often I felt like leaving it. Then I got "a cage upgrade" of sorts.

Partly, just having a beautiful setting with nature around definitely helped. Feeling some control over my personal space and making positive choices to alter it the way I wanted also definitely helped. But the biggest change is that the nicer my personal space became the more I felt like going other places so I don't feel like I'm in a "cage" at all anymore.

When I feel low energy (which naturally still happens... just less often) I take it easy and baby myself a little. And when I feel a little better, I take advantage of that without overdoing it. Specifically, gardening, art projects, home projects, yard projects, a little exploratory baking, and so on all entertain me as long as I'm willing to accept that making a pound cake and doing the dishes from the pound cake baking may not happen within the same 24 hour period. LOL And as long as I'm not mentally beating myself up for the dishes sitting in the sink.... I feel much better for having started than if I just say "to heck with it all" and never try to bake at all. The same goes for all of those interests that entertain me.

Just this week I got some guys to fence my yard. I didn't do any of the work but I tell you just bringing out beers and watching people work can tire me out the way actual work used to before SJS. I ended up taking a mini sofa hibernation the day after they finished for half a day. LOL But the thing is knowing my dog has a safe yard and it's secure has made me more interested in going outside than I was. I feel better everytime I do something to improve my surroundings however small it is. :) GG
My personal blessings/curses include: Sjogren's syndrome, arthritis, hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia, diabetes, tbi, ptsd, and an acute personality that sometimes is annoying.

susanep

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »
Ashwoman I agree that our surroundings do make us feel better when they are nice, comfortable, just being what makes us feel good in some way to enjoy. I want the same for my home.

My porch needs painting, but hasn't got done yet. Hopefully it will soon. I want to fix a little area outside my home for relaxing.

I have a pair of wooden dutch shoes my husband bought me at a yard sale that I want to put some house plants in. Little things like that make me happy, and less stressed.

Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Ashewoman

• I'm in pretty good shape for the shape that I'm in
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2015, 07:43:22 AM »
Susanep- I definitely believe in setting myself up to succeed with right sized projects. If I have a big one, I either delegate or I eat that elephant one bite at a time. LOL
GG
My personal blessings/curses include: Sjogren's syndrome, arthritis, hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia, diabetes, tbi, ptsd, and an acute personality that sometimes is annoying.

susanep

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 06:26:15 PM »
Ashewoman I like the one bite at a time. I have to do that too. It does help.

I got a bit of sewing done today in spite of feeling not well, so that is a big success. :)

susanep

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2015, 07:20:11 AM »
Well I found out that I was in good spirits even after being in too much sun, but it was worth it for a special day. I am trying to recover now.  :) :)

susanep

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2015, 02:54:06 AM »
Having a really good laugh over something. It feels so relieving.  :)

susanep

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 03:04:57 AM »
Reading or watching inspirational stories of what others also go through, and how they cope always makes me feel I am blessed.

jpd54

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 10:31:49 AM »
My husband and I got Sirius Radio in our cars.  I love to go for rides and listen to 60's music.  Sometimes I actually (attempt to) sing along.

jpd
SJS, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, GERD, Rosacea, TMJ

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Lisinopril / Hydrochlorothiazide, Linzess, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren

Katybarstool

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »
Hi

I love lots of different types of music and the other evening spent a couple of hours listening to music on my laptop. One of my old time favourites is Elizabethan Serenade by Roger Whittaker. It reminds me of watching The Thornbirds with my grandma in the 60's. I also love Irish music and listened to Foster and Allan singing A Bunch of Thyme. That reminds me of a summer day out with our newly-born second son in 1981. And finally, I watched a YouTube video by an amazing young man called Jacob Blackburn. The song was Make you Feel my love. It sent shivers down my back! He's the son of someone I know and was bullied at school. I wonder how the bullies will feel when he's rich and famous.

kathyx

Deb 27

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 07:21:46 AM »
1. swimming
2. getting a good night's rest
3. spending time with my dogs and hubby
4. having an unclutterred home but that doesn't happen very often. LOL....
5. eating, good, fresh veggies
6. going to the beach (with tons of sunscreen and an umbrella) and just listening to the ocean, watching the birds, taking a swim and smelling the wonderful salt air
7. listening to some music that I like
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.