Author Topic: What Makes You Feel Better With Chronic Illness?  (Read 11609 times)

Sleepy In Seattle

Re: What Makes You Feel Better With Chronic Illness?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 08:25:40 AM »
Horses, dogs, sushi, coffee, books, movies, sunshine, cool nights, a warm comforter, hot showers, the smell of rosemary and lemon, cooking a good meal, music, my pickup truck, a funny text from a friend, and most of all my family.

And all of you guys, as well!  ;D

Sjogren's sucks, but so much of life is GOOD. Even when I can't enjoy it, it makes me feel better to think about all the people and animals on the planet who are having a GOOD day.
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

Katybarstool

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
I'm having my little grandchildren for a sleepover tonight. They always make my day special.

Booking excursions for our Hawaii cruise at Christmas to celebrate our 40 wedding anniversay. Extra special because it is a once in a lifetime trip from our home in the UK.

Kathyx

4Kids

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 12:38:53 PM »
I recently had four Nigerian dwarf goats give birth.  Nine frolicking kids, six doelings and 3 bucklings.  They are so much fun!  Even if all I can do is sit with them, they end up on my lap and nibbling my clothes.

I love goats! I couldn't keep ours out of my garden. I keep wanting more.

And I love my chickens. I only have 14 right now, down from a lot -- fox came in last summer. Really it is enough to keep us in eggs. They are hardly any work, and so much fun. We are getting 25 meat birds this summer--hopefully I will get 20 or so into the freezer. Cheapest and tastiest meat you can raise so quickly!
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 06:56:56 PM »
Spending fun time with family is so nice.
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

quietdynamics

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 08:59:55 AM »

I have my "Garden of Delights".. Love seeing my little babies, ( like 4kids) leaves peep up in the spring. I call them and blooms " Little blessings"
Oh what a nasty winter.
During season I pick-up sale perennials/plants.. my 'little orphans', that I nurse back to health. And have some I over-winter indoors. Now am into propagating more and teaching 7 yr. old granddaughter (including science terms)
And put together an alcove ..."centering area" where I sit and well "get Centered", more birds and butterflies now.  Garden friend, neighbor is in Europe.. and I miss her. But, it pushed me talk to others. So a wider net. A good thing.

I will stop the car for goats.. love Nubians.
Sometimes I will drive into nice developments and take pics of landscaping for ideas..lol

For a bit of a perk-up sometimes I will give a light spritz of my favorite scent before bed.. INIS "The Energy of the Sea" made in Ireland.

? If I feel chronically Ill say 40% of the time: then I feel chronically OK 60% of the time.
So I focus as much as possible on the chronically well.. so that 'this' remains a facet of who I am and not the sum total.  Just put a note in diary and move on until I see Dr.

We just adopted a 7yr old cat, Audrey,, darkest chocolate fur with heterochromia cat eyes, one brown, one gold. Sleeps on her back and looks like an otter. LOL.

Winters here in the North are more difficult. I don't watch TV and not a shopper.
So will need to work on that. ( Have a quilt in mind to make out of cashmere sweaters..lol)

Love reading the pick-up tips here.

Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

susanep

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 03:04:50 PM »
Quietdynamics I enjoyed reading yours. I felt more peaceful just reading it.  :)

I can hear the rain at this moment hitting down hard on the tin roof we had put over our front porch for that very reason. It sounds so calming, and reminds me when I was a little girl, and we lived in this old house with an old tin roof. I would take a big old comfy warm quilt out with me, and bundle up while listening to the rain, and  almost fall asleep.

It feels good to me watching my fur babies eat and after potty time, then later in evening when they fall asleep, and make those sounds and little jerks of their feet as if they are running chasing after something.

I always feel good if I get something new planted or a new pot of flowers set out. I enjoy when I feel well enough to cut back any  unhealthy twigs on my butter fly bush or my spirea bush.

I love realizing I am content with a simple life.

susanep :)

Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

litliwlowa

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 04:51:42 PM »
I think I replied on this thread already, but justin case I didn't:

Music
Chocolate
Writing
visiting with friends (real ones) and family
photography (including "playing with pixels")
learning
and a new fun thing since I recently discovered a huge consignment shop nearby - browsing through it looking for hidden treasures

(one nightstand set contained a unpaid check from 1957 for $75 payable to a generations removed distant cousin - that bank no longer exists which was ironically a predecessor bank to the one I retired from [small world]- a very old still in wrapping Howard Johnson's toothpick, a really funny business card the contents of which I can't type here as it contains a couple of expletives, a gorgeous framed quilt square circa 1988 framed in excellent condition, an old Billy Graham tract circa 1985)

not necessarily in that order, although for now browsing the consignment shop is higher up on the list.

SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

susanep

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 10:10:54 PM »
I enjoy all of the ones  you mentioned Amanda, except my son is the photographer.

Hugs,
susanep

susanep

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »
I like it when I watch an inspirational show on tv, or even online that makes me feel blessed in spite of my own struggles.

meow

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 01:04:05 PM »
Wandering outside early in the summer morning, barefoot and still in pjs, feeling the damp grass below, drinking my coffee, greeting the cats and watering my flowers.

Singing really loud with the radio in the car.

Cooking outside and watching the summer moon come up.

Writing, hoping I can do the story and the characters justice.

Talking and laughing about nothing in particular with my sons. I am 55, my sons are 31 and 24. My husband refers to us as "you teenagers".

Road trips with my husband across the amazing landscape of the American Southwest. If you aren't amazed by that, there's no help.

Reading. Books and books and books.
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

Carebear

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »
I love to listen to old time radio programs on my smartphone.  Shows like Boston Blackie,  Box 13,  Philip Marlowe, Suspense, Sherlock Holmes and Yours Truly Johnny Dollar.  For a good old western I will catch Gunsmoke or the Tales of the Texas Rangers.

I am not quite old enough to have listened to these programs when they were "new", but enjoy them so much just the same.  I will be outside scratching in the dirt or pulling weeds, and in the winter when I am able to shovel, there I am with ear buds on and listening intently to my "who-done-its" on the phone.  They even help me if I can't sleep.

If you are interested, there are many apps you can download for your smartphone.  Or you can listen to many on the computer as well.  Mystery, drama, comedy, sci-fi...
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

susanep

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 03:59:39 PM »
My faith helps me so much.

I finished a mini quilt (wall hanging) for my latest swap, and it turned out nice. It helps me feel I am doing something.

Talking to a friend or someone closer in my family and laughing about silly things is nice.

Watching animal shows.

Katybarstool

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 01:24:56 PM »
We have been looking after two grandkids today, a 9 year old boy and his 6 year old sister. Together, we took our little Yorkie for a walk in the woods. We saw frog spawn and a frog, as well as bluebells and buttercups. It was only half an hour in the fresh air but it was really nice. I struggled to walk back, but got there eventually. The kids had a whale of a time.

We have them tomorrow morning so are planning a short ride to walk around a lake and feed the ducks. Then we will deposit them with their parents and I will come home to sleep.

Life is good.

Kathyx

susanep

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 11:48:37 PM »
It makes me feel better to be able to do some small thing for my dear husband. Earlier Sunday night after he went to bed ahead of me. I went into our bedroom, and rubbed lotion on his lower legs and feet that are so dry from his diabetes.

It didn't take long, but felt good to do that small thing for him. He enjoyed it too.  :)

I have insomnia so not always in the bed at the same time. Sometimes I go first, and he comes later.

quietdynamics

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 07:09:54 AM »
susanep.. want to come over and give me a massage.

Yesterday I was able to get out and do some "square inch' gardening.. lol.
The weather was so clear and beautiful.
DH and granddaughter .. now 7, went outside to practice golf. He found a left handed golf set, irons and bag for her online.  It was so heart filling watching them. I was the cheerleader. "Great swing, great form, Wow.. Rock on Girl"

Used lightweight hegdtrimmer to cut a forsythia bush. Learned it was so much easier to just whack them resting trimmer at my hip.. battery died and there were a few long branches coming out the middle top center.. Looks like a  punk hair cut.. so took photo of our Punk Bush. Going to leave it that way for a while...lol.
Wonder what neighbors will think..  :D
Sent photo to daughter in Colorado and she loved it..lol.

Hmm .. maybe start a trend if it looks like a water fountain effect?
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"