Author Topic: You think you're getting a garlic supplement? Think again!  (Read 3497 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
You think you're getting a garlic supplement? Think again!
« on: February 03, 2015, 05:11:24 AM »
Dear Sjogren's Angels,

How bizarre that there isn't garlic in the garlic supplement?  And who knows what is in some of these supplements.  This is very bizarre.

Clearly, more testing and monitoring needs to go on.

These companies aren't just deceptive (lying) they obviously don't even CARE what goes into the capsule and bottle,  Just sweep the floor and put it in the bottle!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/sidebar-whats-in-those-supplements/?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

No wonder we have trouble swallowing some pills!  (bad joke, sorry).

Hugs, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: You think you're getting a garlic supplement? Think again!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:16:23 AM »
You could always just chew down a garlic toe or two. :) I used to eat mine with ginger root. They had the best flavor fresh and raw.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

lori

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:11:06 PM »
Joe, I like fresh garlic too but it kills my acid reflux..... :'(

Dry-Di

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »
Cat Cora garlic stuffed olives are a great thing to try too. The good part of the garlic isn't destroyed and the olive cover makes it juicier for dry mouths.

Di

Gingersnap

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 06:42:51 PM »
I read that article this morning...it's VERY alarming that its legal to sell supplements like that. I've had some supplements not seem to do a thing for me and I wonder now if they even contained anything useful. It should be required by law for anything you ingest to have the ingredients listed and for supplements the exact srregnth should have to be listed. The other day my Rheumy was telling me that most fish oil supplements don't cobtain the amount of omega 3's listed on the label because they aren't legally required to...but I never imagined that they might not be containing the beneficial ingredients at all!
37/F Dx sjs with lupus overlap, raynauds
Plaquenil,prednisone, gabapentin, cymbalta, zanaflex, evoxac, lidoderm patch, restasis

Head2Toe

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 06:59:35 PM »
We should NEVER forget that the natural health industry IS a profit driven industry - and it's unregulated.  My trust of all products promoted under the umbrella of 'health supplements' is limited.
Female-57; Endometriosis (dx-1977); Cervical Osteoarthritis (dx 2014); Laryngeal Reflux (dx 2015); Seronegative & Negative Lip Biopsy

anita

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 07:00:42 PM »
This is the problem with supplements....they are not regulated, so anything goes as for as they are concerned.  You have to do tons of research before you take ANY supplement.  Get the list of ingredients including amounts of nutrients.  Some of these combo supplements have so little of actual nutrients...you might not be getting what you think you are.  As you can see now.  It's sad.

52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

gurs

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 04:26:30 AM »
Ive only used supplements that are from health food store and I usually check everyone of them out first.
I know which brands seem to be the best as well. You may pay more, but its worth it. I order most on-line
with Iherb.

I would never buy one from a local retail store ever...

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Gingersnap

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »
I am going to be much more careful about supplements from now on, that's for sure. As a person with food allergies I think this is so negligent.

Not long ago I had an allergic reaction to an allergen that was hidden under the label of "natural flavors" in a food product so this type of loophole does happen with things that are regulated too. I'm just surprised more people haven't been hurt by these unregulated supplements!
37/F Dx sjs with lupus overlap, raynauds
Plaquenil,prednisone, gabapentin, cymbalta, zanaflex, evoxac, lidoderm patch, restasis

SjoGirl

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:58:51 PM »
My hematologist cautioned me about supplements for this reason. I do take CVS brand vitamin D and Feosol Iron with CVS vitamin C.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

litliwlowa

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 04:15:07 AM »
Elaine

The article is timely... a few months back I stopped buying my supplements from one of the retailers mentioned in the article. I find better quality online and in the end spend less.
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc