Author Topic: Ear problems  (Read 2794 times)

lindapeto

• 58 yrs old, RN, having had autoimmune since 1990.
Ear problems
« on: January 04, 2015, 07:11:18 AM »
Does anyone have experience with itching in the ear canal?
I have hearing loss (nerve damage) and wear hearing aids, but the itch is something new, and doesn't sound like much trouble, but it is annoying?
Is it just me?
Sjogren's, Fibro, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, POTS, Hypothyroid, Constipation, Interstitial Lung Disease, Proprioceptive Disorder,Arthritis, Osteopenia.
Plaquenil, Neurontin, Prilosec, DONA Glucosamine Sulfate, Synthroid, Lasix, Vit D, Vit B12, Vit E, Multivits, Calcium, Omega 3.

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
Re: Ear problems
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 07:51:15 AM »
It drives me nuts.  We had a long thread on ears within the last couple of months.  Did you search ear problems?  Lots of discussion there.  But your question was does anyone else....and my hand goes up!!
ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

LadyDi

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 08:10:02 AM »
Yes. I sometimes experience itching in the ear canals. Also, I have had some ringing in the past and most recently my right ear feels as if it is blocked. It is very annoying to say the least.

I think that I will check out the thread on ears and ear problems.

Primary Sjogrens, fibromyalgia,partial thyroidectomy/hypothyroid, asthma, chronic sinusitis/nasal polyps, environmental allergies. Plaquenil, Evoxac,Restasis,Neutrasal, levothyroxine, Zyrtec, Singulair, Proair inhaler, spironolactone

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
Dearest Linda,

Every part of our body is dry...including our ear canals.  I also think the dryness or whatever is why I have Meniere's, and I also have horrific tinnitus.

About three years ago I spent a year wearing the Lyric hearing aid, which fits totally inside the ear canal, next to the ear drum.  You don't change them or take them out.  You wear them 24/7, and the audiologists removes them to replace them if they stop working or the battery runs down (lasts 3 months).

We can you imagine the itching what those things inside?  And you can't DO anything.  I found rubbing the area in front of my ear, massaging it helped.

They were, by the way, the best hearing aid in the world.  No 'tinny sound' no feed back' nothing to lose, or drop, or break, or comb out of your ear or flip out with your sunglasses.

You wore them to bed, in the shower, in the pool.  The sound was totally natural.  But at $4000 a year, they were just too much money for me.

And yes, I have itching in my ear canals.  We have everything.  You cannot name a part of the body that we don't have to 'deal with' some times in progression, sometimes it seems all at once!

Sjogren's:  the gift that keeps on giving.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

kimberly64

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 03:54:52 PM »
Im sorry did I miss something here? Where is a hostile comment? I was gonna add my ears itch because they are dry as well. It comes and goes day to day its worse when its cold.
Kimberly
Sjogrens, Evoxac, Restasis , Omega3

lindapeto

Re: Ear problems/ sorry/brain problems
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 05:17:33 PM »
Sorry, my brain is not working today.
I just read the replies now, and I have no idea what I thought I read earlier.
I feel so stupid.
I actually used to be a normal person, and I feel so dumb.  I agree, these are perfectly wonderful replies, and that is what happens to me.
I cannot even read and understand things anymore.
I usually don't even talk in groups, anymore, because I am afraid of what words will come out of my mouth.
Skin, ear, belly, neuropathy etc etc, and I have no brain anymore too. :'(

PLEASE forgive me.
linda
Sjogren's, Fibro, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, POTS, Hypothyroid, Constipation, Interstitial Lung Disease, Proprioceptive Disorder,Arthritis, Osteopenia.
Plaquenil, Neurontin, Prilosec, DONA Glucosamine Sulfate, Synthroid, Lasix, Vit D, Vit B12, Vit E, Multivits, Calcium, Omega 3.

Jasper

• P SJS; SFN; Sensory Polyneuropathy/Ganglionopathy
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 05:47:08 PM »
Linda ..... we understand and empathize with brains not functioning properly. Some of our brains have problems too.

Have you discussed the cognitive problems with your Neurologist, your Rheumatologist, or a Neuropsych doctor? If not, I wold suggest discussing it with them. Maybe Neuropsychiatric testing would be something that they could do for you and maybe they could help you. Currently there is another thread going on and we are discussing neurocognitive problems on that thread. Just look for it. It is entitled     "memory/brain fog issues??"

I occasionally have ear itching, but mostly I have right foot (the arch) itching that will come on suddenly and is very intense. I do not have a rash or any fungus on it. I think it is neuropathic. I wonder if the ear itching is neuropathic.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 07:49:12 PM »
Many times people have itching in the ear canals that can be from the lack of oil secretion due to Sjogrens. Also, people who wear hearing aids often will get itching in their ear canals due to the friction and rubbing of the hearing aides on the tissue in the ears. You will have to see your doc and get this evaluated.

The ears/hearing aid issue can occasionally be from a fungal infection in the ear canal. When I get the itching I just put a little olive oil on a qtip and apply carefully just inside the ear. The moisture that comes off the qtip is able to warm up from body heat and drip a little more into the canal. This often gives some relief. Do not insert the qtip further into the canal as you can puncture an ear drum if not careful.

Also, can put a little olive oil on a cotton ball and place it in the ear canal. Of it keeps itching probably need for sure to see the doc. Irish

Head2Toe

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
Itching in my ears has driven me CRAZY for many years.  About a year ago I wondered if it may be related to my (mild) seborrheic dermatitis, so while washing my hair with Selsun Blue, I deliberately mushed a handful of lather over my ears (but didn't force it in deep) and let it sit there for several minutes before rinsing and cleaning my ears as usual with a facecloth.  Voila!  I use the Selsun Blue about once a week, and it has almost completely eliminated my ear itching woes.  Not sure if this would work if you don't have SD, but it might be worth a try.
Female-57; Endometriosis (dx-1977); Cervical Osteoarthritis (dx 2014); Laryngeal Reflux (dx 2015); Seronegative & Negative Lip Biopsy

lindapeto

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
Thanks Jasper!
I do have an order for nueropsychiatric testing, at the University of Rochester, where I see my doctors, and am waiting for third party provider approval.  I had never even heard of it before they ordered it; did you have this done yourself?  What did it involve?   Linda

lindapeto

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 01:14:47 PM »
Thanks everybody for the replies on ear itching. 
I'm going to try the olive oil first, because  I have it on hand.
If no help there, I'll move on to Selsun Blue Shampoo.
You guys are the best, and I really appreciate the good will!

Linda

Katybarstool

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »
Hi Linda

You have had some good suggestions here but I thought I would regale you with what I thought was very funny:

Ear itching was driving me mad - and it was before my Sjogren's diagnosis, so I didn't have a clue what it was. On googling my symptoms, the response was 'ear mites - see a vet!

I finally went to see my GP who quickly diagnosed it as eczema. A small amount of steroid ointment cured it. 

Kathyx