Author Topic: Swallowing problems - what's that like?  (Read 988 times)

eija

• Serious case of hum-disease!
Swallowing problems - what's that like?
« on: January 08, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »
Okay, I've thought so far that I don't have any (real) problems swallowing, just that I need to take a drink with every bite if it's something dry I'm eating. Up until I was dx'd with Sjs I thought even that was normal - and kept wondering how come my girls can eat an entire sandwich without drinking anything  :o

So, I don't have any problems with choking or stuff coming out of my nose etc. But at times when I'm not even eating anything, I feel like I need to keep swallowing over and over again because I feel it's left "half way" somehow. There's nothing in my throat but it still feels as if there was. Oh my, it's difficult to explain!

Another one is, sometimes when eating, swallowing food causes a horrible spasm-like pain under my sternum. It lasts for a short while and then goes away. Like there was too big a lump of something slowly sliding through my esophagus, stretching it, trying to decide if it's going to get stuck or go all the way down. It really hurts! Is this a swallowing problem?
Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

bluegardenia

Re: Swallowing problems - what's that like?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
there are different opinions i gyess about this. i have exactly the same sensation since one month. i did three fibroscopies in the last 20 days bec this makes me crazy.
nothing was found with fibroscopy that went down till my vocal cords.
i thought that it was mucous and food remains stuck in it.
i tried a med to melt it,it did not work so much.then it went away by itself but i was so scared when few days ago a spasm started in the oesophagus.but this goes away if i keep calm and i eat with somebody becausee im afraid that food will strangle me.nice life,the knot in my throat came back this evening,
i made my second lip biopsy today and on monday ill make a gastroscopy so well see if i really have a spasm or its just nerves
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds