Author Topic: "At least it's not cancer" - A message about empathy  (Read 1892 times)

Head2Toe

"At least it's not cancer" - A message about empathy
« on: November 23, 2014, 02:13:08 PM »
Stumbled across this today - thought members here might appreciate the message (and enjoy a couple of laughs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5YN_pY2UBg&feature=youtu.be

Female-57; Endometriosis (dx-1977); Cervical Osteoarthritis (dx 2014); Laryngeal Reflux (dx 2015); Seronegative & Negative Lip Biopsy

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
Re: "At least it's not cancer" - A message about empathy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »
Several years after I was diagnosed, I had a rheumy, on my first visit to him, say "Be grateful you don't have lupus".  Needless to say, this was also our last visit.

As in, "oh, thank goodness I don't have lupus, I just have a disease that has upended my whole life, stopped me from working, leaves me in chronic pain, leave me unable to do many normal activities."

Unlike some of our friends and family, who don't really know what we're going through, he should have known better.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

mshistory

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
Several years after I was diagnosed, I had a rheumy, on my first visit to him, say "Be grateful you don't have lupus".  Needless to say, this was also our last visit.

As in, "oh, thank goodness I don't have lupus, I just have a disease that has upended my whole life, stopped me from working, leaves me in chronic pain, leave me unable to do many normal activities."

Unlike some of our friends and family, who don't really know what we're going through, he should have known better.

UGH. I have both and honestly, Sjogren's interferes with my life more on a DAY TO DAY basis than lupus does. Lupus goes through periods of remission; the problems with my Sjogren's are ALWAYS there. That rheumatologist needs to be schooled in the miseries that come along with this disease.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

stephL

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:52:58 PM »
Head2Toe, thanks I needed a laugh today. Loved the table flip. ;D

And wow I watched another video - she's a Mum of twin babies who just earned her masters degree! Very inspiring.

"Unlike weakness, fatigue can be alleviated by periods of rest." -Wikipedia: Fatigue (medical)

SjoGirl

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 11:09:34 AM »
 :)
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.