Author Topic: affording restasis  (Read 2413 times)

katie1111

affording restasis
« on: November 01, 2014, 10:24:53 AM »
I have recently lost my drug coverage insurance.  Does anyone know of a way to buy restasis for less than the $5000/year we have been quoted?

Thank you,

katie

SueAnn

Re: affording restasis
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »
I am sorry to hear that you lost your insurance.  I don't know of a way to buy it cheaper and I could  not find out when it would come out as generic. 

I can tell you that you can make it last a long time, so it might not cost as much as you think.  I can make 1 vial last up to two days as you only need 1 drop in each eye 2x's a day.  You can keep it in the fridge, which feels great when it goes in my eyes.

Sue Ann
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

oliverid5

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 10:54:49 AM »
My ophthalmologist gave me a 30-day sample of Restasis and coupon, but I never even used it because I knew I could not afford it long-term, so there was no use in even starting it (probably because I would be too depressed when it worked well and I could't keep it up).  So, he also said Systane Lubricating eyedrops were the best on the over-the-counter market.  I use Systane and it works really well.  I like that it is a gel and it coats really well.

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 02:21:15 PM »
Katie - If you don't want to go here, that's fine, but is it possible to explore other options for your insurance?  If you want to share whatever has happened, maybe someone can chime in with ideas for getting coverage.

According to some online stats, the average cost for restasis with insurance is about $35 a month. 

I did find this option, which might be relevant depending on the details of your situation.
https://www.rxhope.com/PAP/info/PAPList.aspx?drugid=3991&fieldType=drugid
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Thea

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:27:59 PM »
Whoa--$5,000 a year? I use one vial a day, and it costs me about $120 Canadian a month. That's only 1440 a year--which I think at the current exchange rate is about twenty-five cents US  ;D.

My eye guy said you don't need to use a new vial twice a day--it's okay to use the same vial for both doses. I tried keeping it for the next day, too, but I'm sloppy with it so don't have enough.
Inflammatory osteoarthritis, dx Nov 2013, Secondary SS (sero-neg) dx Feb 2013, Type 2 Diabetes (diet controlled), Post-Viral Syndrome (lungs); Hydroxychloroquine, Restassis, Omega 3 oils, Optive Advanced, Biotene, fluoride gel, MI Paste

ohiolady

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 05:25:08 AM »
It is true, you can use a vial for two days.  My eye doctor says okay and it works well for me.  Also explain your situation and see if eye doctor has samples.  You can definitely cut your cost in half.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62