Author Topic: Yeast Infections  (Read 2160 times)

wildforwater

Yeast Infections
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:27:44 AM »
Are these common with Sjogren's.  I've only had a few my entire life and now I've had two in a row...or possibly just one I can't get rid of.  Very unusual for me.

Maria
Sjogren's; Hashimoto's Thyroiditis; Raynaud's Syndrome; GERD; Barrett's Esophagus; Gilbert's Syndrome; Tremors; SFN; Osteoporosis; Osteoarthritis; Lyme 2003 & Lyme/Babesiosis 2010; OB; Plaquenil; Evoxac; Restasis; Prevacid; Synthroid; Prozac;Estrace Cream; Vitamin D.

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
Re: Yeast Infections
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:06:12 AM »
Hello,
     I think yeast infections are related to Sjogens.  I had several of them before I was diagnosed and I actually had to go to the Dr. because over the counter wasn't cutting it.  I've also had problems with repeated thrush.

Remember the dryness can affect everywhere.  My Dr put me on Premarin cream and I haven't had a problem for awhile.  Yeast infections can also be contributed to hormonal changes because of menopause.  Sjogens makes everything much worse. 

Fight the dryness anyway you can.  Topical preparations are safer than systemic hormone therapy.  (Premarin cream instead of pills.)

Wishing you well.

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Xina

• A Sjogren's Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »
Yes. I get them plus I get them in the corners of my mouth. Very painful! I actually get the corners of my mouth more often. I've had it three times since summer began.
www.asjogrensblog.blogspot.com

Primary Sjogrens(dx2013), Ehlers-Danlos type 3 with classic features, fibromyalgia, 20+ severe and life threatening food allergies

Plaquenil, Restasis, vitamin D, mirtazapine, allergy meds, eye drops, Neutrasal

Kathy57

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »
Maria,

One of my doctors ordered Clotrimazole 10mg lozenges to use one daily just to PREVENT thrush because he said my mouth was so dry that I had chronic candida with it also being on the corners of my mouth.

It has been working and Evoxac and  Pilocarpine help quite a bit, also.

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

wildforwater

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:07:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  Very helpful.  I was getting them in the corners of my mouth, but since starting Evoxac, thankfully haven't had any since.  I am prescribed Estrace cream but haven't been diligent about using is.  I will now and hopefully it will help.

Thanks again!

Maria
Sjogren's; Hashimoto's Thyroiditis; Raynaud's Syndrome; GERD; Barrett's Esophagus; Gilbert's Syndrome; Tremors; SFN; Osteoporosis; Osteoarthritis; Lyme 2003 & Lyme/Babesiosis 2010; OB; Plaquenil; Evoxac; Restasis; Prevacid; Synthroid; Prozac;Estrace Cream; Vitamin D.

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 11:13:21 AM »
This is an interesting topic. Is there any over-the-counter method to prevent getting too much yeast in your body? Will taking probiotics and eating yogurt do it?
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 52
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »
Deeindiana that is a good question. I do know that the last time I seen my pulmonologist and he said I had an inflamed throat so he gave me an antibiotic, and said to get a vaginal cream to use for when a yeast infection showed up after taking it, and to take a probiotic.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Kathy57

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
I think it is good to eat yogurt with active cultures and take probiotics.  Also I have been told that organic (unpastorized) apple cider viniger is good at fighting candida as well.  I have tried it.  I think you can take a tablespoon per day or put it in tea.  Doesn't taste too good but it is supposed to have great health benefits. 

Kathy

gurs

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 04:25:44 AM »
Ive been fighting a life long battle with systemic yeast. It has been a nightmare for me. Ive studied so much about it, but because of my impaired immune deficiency, makes it almost impossible. Ive been on daily diflucan 100mg for years ever since it got into
my esophagus and had to be hospitalized. I also take daily nystatin powder in my mouth, and also nystatin suspension (has sugar in it).
Try to avoid sugars..also, hormones play a huge role in yeast. If yours are not balanced, you will most likely have more problems.
I take a lot of natural anti-fungal supplements too..you can find in your health food store. I take one by NOW called
Candida clear.

Im guessing because our mucous membranes are dried out so much, that makes us more susceptible to get them.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

bjnc

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 03:50:00 AM »
I have fought very frequent yeast infections for several years, probably due to dryness and being on two meds that suppress my immune system (for psoriatic arthritis).  The gynecologist did not do much that really helped.

But my primary care dr put me on boric acid capsules used as a vaginal suppository twice a week, then Premarin vaginal cream the other 5 days a week. Those two things, along with probiotics every day, have really helped. You can get the boric acid capsules through a compounding pharmacy or make them yourself, which is much cheaper. Look on you tube for videos on how to make them.  Also, I only can wear pants that are rather loose in that area or I still get a yeast infection.

Hope this helps. These things have really helped me, and I'm so thankful that they have.
Becky
Female 56, diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis 1986; also have Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease (in my case, a combination of Lupus and Sjogren's), Grave's Disease. Remicade, (a biologic for Ps. Arthritis), Arava, Cymbalta, Evoxac, Trazodone, Synthroid; Miralax

4Kids

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »
One of the properties of the (I think) submandibular gland for saliva production is anti fungal. So if that gland doesnt produce you might be more prone to it as well.  That is what happens to me.

I use Tea Tree Oil toothpaste -- I like one by Natures Essence with peppermint and neem. Also a really good probiotic can help. Otherwise, diflucan and clotrimazole.  Oh yes and they normally make me a nystatin troche with no sugar but I am having a problem getting it since it has to come from a compound pharmacy and I live 3 hours from one now.  But if they can make you one, they make the nystatin into a jelly so it dissolves slowly.  When I first had my bad flare, I used liquid diflucan because you need saliva in order for the pill diflucan to work on your thrush.

If the yeast is in your gut and coming down then it is a different story for curing it and preventing it.

I also got a cream from my doctor which has nystatin in it, along with a steroid and clotrimazole for the lady parts as I have auto immune rash issues down there, that is so awesome, and it helps with that.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »
An old fashioned way to eat vinegar is to mash up a hard boiled egg and put the vinegar on the egg along with some salt and pepper. It is yummy. Also good with spinach, bacon and hard boiled egg salad. Irish