Author Topic: Roof of mouth peeling  (Read 24334 times)

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
Roof of mouth peeling
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »
This seems really minor in comparison, but woke up this morning and the skin was peeling off the roof of my mouth.  No pain involved and not ulcers or sores that I can notice.  I wonder if I accidentally burned the top of my mouth?

It just looks like white skin and I've just never had this happen before.  Anyone else have this happen?  It was just really wierd and I am concerned about anything that happens to my mouth because of the Sjogrens.  My mouth has felt much worse
than this in the past.  I'm not too worried about it.  Anyone else have this happen?

I have just started taking vitamin E supplements with L Lysine.
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

sarahjane

Re: Roof of mouth peeling
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:12:56 AM »
I had it happen once to the inside of my cheek. I just assumed it was one of the weird things that sometimes happen with Sjogren's  :o
sjogren's syndrome, psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia, hashimoto's, erythema nodosum, saphenous nerve neuropathy, myositis, cervical spondylosis ,TMJ, Loinpain Haematuria Syndrome, hepatic cysts
Hydroxychloroquine, MTX, folic acid, Pregabalin,Amitriptyline, Vit. D, co-dydromol,levothyroxine

litliwlowa

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 03:58:41 PM »
The only time I've experienced the roof of my mouth peeling I can directly correlate to eating hot food the night before that I was too impatient to allow to cool down (such as reheating in the microwave). Took me a while to notice the pattern, but after about the third time at first felt like a blister then it peeled (and oddly didn't hurt) - I had the AHA moment and haven't had a recurrence since.
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »
Is your tongue burning too?
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

sassygal

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
I get this from time to time and in fact it started up just yesterday for me. It starts out feeling a little sore and then progresses to very sore (feels like it has been burned) and usually the 3rd day the surface splits and a thin layer peels off and I'm good to go until the next time.

I don't get it from burns from temperature hot food, but I am beginning to notice that I've usually eaten something acidic like tomato sauce, citrus or even a glass of wine or something with spices that are strong. Sometimes however, I can't correlate to anything.

I had gum grafting done years ago and they took tissue from the roof of my mouth to graft to the gum. I just assumed it left me "fragile" in that area with a thin tissue covering, but now I am wondering if it is just a result of Sjogrens after all!

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 06:57:50 PM »
I have this all the time.

It happens if I eat salty things, it happens if I eat hot things, it happens and I don't know why.

I just checked as I read this post and there's a spot that's peeling. 

If I put a cloth in and rub, lots of white skin will come off.

I've just always accepted it at some point.

It doesn't hurt and it always heals up.

IN fact it doesn't even seem to be a true 'wound'.

I don't know, but I have it right now.  the soup at dinner was hot, that was probably it.

But I don't know.

Hugs,  Elaine

Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 09:36:48 AM »
Thanks to all the responses!  @ least I know that I am not alone.  I have been eating alot of mandarin oranges (canned) with cottage cheese.  Goes down well and easy to chew.  Maybe the acid?  Anyway, it doesn't really hurt so I guess I'm not too worried about it.

I guess my mouth just feels super sensitive since I was diagnosed.  I've been chewing sugarless gum alot and using salese lozenges and Xylemelts @ night.  My tongue does not hurt like it used to thanks to all of the good advice I received here.  I actually see light @ the end of the tunnel now and think I just might make it after all!  lol 

The advice to switch to Evoxac was really good for me.  I would have never known to ask without reading the advice here.  The Plaquenil is starting to kick in and I don't feel nearly as exhausted as I used to.  (Hope I can get it refilled without a problem.)  My pharmacy told me they only had 47 tablets left and could not hold them for me.  I can't get mine refilled until 9/21.   

I'm up to 113 lbs and that is good!  I've been working @ this.  Losing weight is okay, but NOT the way I was doing it.  Didn't look good.

Still not back to myself, but I think this just may be my "new normal" and I should be happy to have that.  Much better than the alternative. 

This is the first time in my adult life that I have not been working.  I did quit my job because I was so sick and didn't know what was wrong with me.  I actually thought I had cancer!  Don't feel quite good enough to start looking for another one right now.  My husband wants me to "take a year off."  Don't know if I'll take that much time off, but I just hope that I will feel
up to working again.  Maybe just part-time somewhere? 

I feel blessed to have such an understanding husband and he is @ the top of his career right now.  I've always brought home
a paycheck and I feel bad that it is not happening now.  My career was such a big part of my self identity, but I was so sick that I just couldn't do it anymore. 

I don't think I am sick enough to apply for disability, however, when I first quit I definitely think I could have!  That was before I was diagnosed and treated.  The trouble is I don't know how I will feel in a few months.  I don't think anyone does and no-one can predict the future.

Trying to adjust to my new normal and trying to stop feeling quilty because I am not working.  My husband told me that "I have worked enough and to try and enjoy this time."  So I am trying.  I have two new grandbabies on the way and my son is getting married in May.  I think I'll start looking for a new position after that. 

Thank you for letting me share my personal thoughts and fears.  You people understand better than my doctor's and even some of my friends.  They just don't get it, but they try. 
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
Hi Kathy,

This happens quite frequently to me. As far as I can gather it's either due to eating wheat, sugar or salty things. And also happens right before my period. First the roof of my mouth swells, accompanied by a slight pain, then a day or 2 later the peeling begins.

It becomes much worse if I don't intervene. Usually the best remedy is a mouth rinse with Cordosyl, 2x a day until the pain dissapears...

BTW, I know exactly about friends, family & coworkers not understanding... So I don't bother them with my weird symptoms anymore....

52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 5% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex