Author Topic: Yellow is creeping up my front teeth - eeeek  (Read 4056 times)

P.Trish

Yellow is creeping up my front teeth - eeeek
« on: August 31, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »
O.K. This is a vent. Although I feel icky (like the flu) in general, the most Depressing thing is that the tips of my front teeth are turning yellow. I am a brushing, flossing, getting cleanings every 4 months maniac.  I do not drink coffee or tea or smoke. I Do use the fluoride tray every other night for 5 minutes & I know too much fluoride can cause staining, but I have been meticulously careful.
It is very difficult to go from nice,white teeth to this. Whine, whine,whine.
My next cleaning is in 2 wks and I am hoping it helps - don't know if note whitening gel is a good idea.

Organ involvement, pain and many other scary possibilities are always lurking, but this just seems to be the last straw. Thanks for listening.
female dx'd Jan 2012, English/Drama Teacher: retired, plaquenil 400mg, aspirin 80 mg, Lisinipril 20mg,  fish oil, multi vitamins, methyl pred  pack (every 2 months) evoxac, d-mannose, biotin, gluten free
. Stroke survivor  'Have a heart that never hardens and a touch that never hurts" (Dickens)

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
Re: Yellow is creeping up my front teeth - eeeek
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »
one day my teeth were off white...never sparkly white
then..they were yellowish
THEN they were streaked brown. 

AFTER sJs dx, dentist told me that was the bacteria which takes over a dry mouth.  Good news..I think I had sJs for nearly 30 years before dx.  They turned darker after I was 65.  I thought they were just old teeth.  so...they were "yellowish" for about 15 to 20 years.  They stopped darkening when dxed and started medication. 

Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

LucyD

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:22:30 PM »
P. Trish, my teeth stain brownish now more quickly. It is disheartening. They have always been a little yellowish-gray. Never nice and bright white. I know - one more thing. Hope you can find out why and slow it down.
lucyd
Dxs: Sjogren's - seronegative, UCTD, soft tissue joint pain, Hypothyroidism
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)

LadyDi

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:21:42 AM »
Yes, an unfortunate battle scar of Sjogren's is damaged teeth. Mine used to be bright white, but for the past ten years began turning yellow, developed tiny chips in the bottom of the two fronts and started deteriorating. My dentist thought that I wasn't brushing and flossing properly. It wasn't figured out until I was diagnosed with Sjogrens.

Another poster mentioned the bacterial buildup that occurs due to dry mouth. This plaque is what wears off the enamel on our teeth. The purpose of enamel is to keep our teeth protected and sparkling white. I was told that the "yellow tinge" which is called dentin lies just under the enamel and that once this is exposed there is no going back. In other words, we can't grow back our enamel which has been worn off.

The good news is that I don't think that they have gotten any worse since being diagnosed and placed on medication. Hang in there, you are definitely not alone!
Primary Sjogrens, fibromyalgia,partial thyroidectomy/hypothyroid, asthma, chronic sinusitis/nasal polyps, environmental allergies. Plaquenil, Evoxac,Restasis,Neutrasal, levothyroxine, Zyrtec, Singulair, Proair inhaler, spironolactone

Sooki

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:32:43 AM »
I was thinking the same thing just this morning.  I have the whitening trays from the dentist which I use for fluoride treatments.  So I could just get the super whitening paste from him and try it.  But what does that do to the surface?

I had a gum graft two months ago.  During the healing I used an antibiotic rinse twice a day.  During that time, my teeth were shiny and didn't get that grungy feel during the day or night.  Slippery and whiter.  So I now understand the whole bacterial role.  I don't have those saliva enzymes that keep the bacteria at bay.  And in the dryness, especially on the buccal, cheek side, the bacteria have free rein.

Since I stopped the rinse, my teeth have gotten worse more quickly and also started browning noticeably.  Yuck.  Just what I need to go with my yellow/pink eyes. 

Anyone have experience with the dentist tooth whitening pastes?
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

LadyDi

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 10:01:28 AM »
Sooki, I asked my dentist about teeth whitening, both professional with the trays and also with the various kits that they sell in drugstores.

He told me (at least for myself) that because I had so much enamel eroded away and too much dentin exposed that it wouldn't do me any good. Dentin (which causes the yellow tinge)  lies under the enamel and cannot be whitened.

At least I tried! Good luck with yours.

Primary Sjogrens, fibromyalgia,partial thyroidectomy/hypothyroid, asthma, chronic sinusitis/nasal polyps, environmental allergies. Plaquenil, Evoxac,Restasis,Neutrasal, levothyroxine, Zyrtec, Singulair, Proair inhaler, spironolactone

Bluebird

• Thank you for your help!
    • Bluebirdreviews
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 10:03:22 AM »
My teeth are yellowing too  :(  . I asked my dentist and he said I am not a good candidate for whitening because the formulas are so irritating to the mouth. I get almost instant canker sores even using whitening toothpaste. I haven't lost teeth, though and don't have cavities, so I guess that is good at least. Wish I had more answers for you  :-[
Dx: Primary Sjogrens, Osteoarthritis, Seafood and Environmental Allergies.
Meds: Restasis, Flax Seed Oil, Vitamin E, Probiotics, Xifaxan (prn), Meloxicam, Albuterol.
Life: Working (part-time), Music Reviewer, Bird Watching, Writing and Reading How-To Books. Proud mother of a 12 yo Science girl!

Sooki

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 11:40:24 AM »
Sigh.  I can't tolerate whitening toothpastes either - way way too drying.  Never put the two together.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

P.Trish

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »
Thank ya'll for commiserating with me. It'll take a loooooog time for me to accept the changing of the teeth - still going to search for answers, just like we all do. If I learn anything helpful, I will share ASAP.
Love this group.
female dx'd Jan 2012, English/Drama Teacher: retired, plaquenil 400mg, aspirin 80 mg, Lisinipril 20mg,  fish oil, multi vitamins, methyl pred  pack (every 2 months) evoxac, d-mannose, biotin, gluten free
. Stroke survivor  'Have a heart that never hardens and a touch that never hurts" (Dickens)

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
Hi P. Trish,

I have the same, but found out that eating certain citrus fruits improves matters.
For example, when I was on the grapefruit diet, I suddenly found my teeth were much whiter!
Same goes for lemon juice, but I get canker sores from this, so it's a no go.

Good luck!
52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 1% testosterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

P.Trish

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 12:48:20 PM »
Thanks Maria - grape fruit is now on my list.  My cleaning apt is in 5 days; I stress before each one, dreading bad news about my teeth.

Time to breathe... it is most important that I still have my teeth, even if they are yellow (sigh.) "Woman, vanity is thy name" (Shakespeare) -

It's true about the vanity.