Author Topic: plantar warts and bone spurs added to my problems..  (Read 3014 times)

quilt4fun

• "When life hands you scraps, make a quilt."
plantar warts and bone spurs added to my problems..
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »
             I haven't been on lately, but now i can gripe again----
    A visit to my foot doctor concerning a plantar wart that has returned and a sore on the ball of my foot, ended up with X-rays of both feet.  And the results are 6 bone spurs!  On both heels, both balls of  my feet and the outside of both little toes :-X  The one on the left ball has cut through the tissue and caused some bleeding.  That's the real sore one.
   So, he made casts of my feet and now will have orthotics .
   Oh, yes, he also lasered off the almost dime sized wart on my little toe---ouch!!!!!!
  At my next visit on Thursday, I need to ask out pain management  of the spur on my left ball.    Some of my research has shown Nsaids to relieve pain (taking enough pain meds as it is) and surgery (which I would not want!)  :-X :-X
  OK,  that's my gripe for the day.     
  Any one else dealing with these things?  Let me know how you are doing.
Jan
Age 64. PSS, Gerd, Kidney stones,  dry eyes, dry skin, borderline high cholesterol, osteoporosis. lung scar tissue,  Taking:  Plaquenil, Meloxicam, protonix, potassium citrate, fortical ,calcium+D,  Lovaza , genteel jel and theratears liquid  gel,    medrol and lacriserts

Head2Toe

Re: plantar warts and bone spurs added to my problems..
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:39:23 PM »
Helpful tip for getting rid of plantar warts:  Cover with a fabric band aid.  (I've known people who use pieces of duct tape instead - and this works too!)  Keep the wart covered over for one full week.  If the band aid loosens - don't take it off - put another one over it - and keep doing that.  Do not allow any air to get to that wart.  Leave the band aid on for 7 full days, then take it off.  This is hard on surrounding skin as it tends to get very moist so it looks pretty awful - but the wart will almost certainly be gone.  Some stubborn warts will require a another week's treatment. 

I was taught to do this by a dermatologist who we were referred to when one of my young daughters developed a wart that was growing just under the top edge of her entire thumbnail - an impossible location for any other treatment.  Voila - it was gone in a week!  I have successfully treated countless warts using this method over the past 30 years.
Female-57; Endometriosis (dx-1977); Cervical Osteoarthritis (dx 2014); Laryngeal Reflux (dx 2015); Seronegative & Negative Lip Biopsy

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »
One of my kids went in with a really stubborn wart and his doc said "get out the duct tape" Gosh darn, what did we do without that stuff. I wonder what year it was invented the guy must be rolling in dough. Irish

Cassi307

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
Quilt4fun
Ask your md about voltaren cream. It is a topical inflammatory that I found helpful for my foot pain.
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis, tremors, macular degeneration. Meds:  cardizem cd, low dose Prednisone, Rituxan, Preservision, calcium with d

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »
Oh dear, I have had just about everything possible with my feet.  I have severe osteoarthritis in my feet, my toes are deformed and fused.

I have severe neuropathy in my feet and Raynaud's syndrome. So I get poor circulation.  That makes the skin on the bottom very thick.

So if I don't put on a cream to keep it thinned, I get huge deep bleeding cracks which never heal..  I buy the cream six jars at a time, and try to remember to use it every night.

I also got a fungus infection on the bottoms of my big toes, that peeled and bled.  ACK.  I had it for four years.

The skin on the tops of my feet is very thin so if I bump my foot or toes, the skin peels off and never heals, or heals very slowly.

I get plantar's fascitis which is very very painful.  So I have to do exercises to keep from getting it again.

I have lost the toenail on my left big toe, so I have a 'fake nail' put on every three months, so I can wear sandals. (yes vanity never ceases)

My feet are usually icy cold and I wear socks to bed year round.  But every once in a while they become very very hot and bright red.  Go figure.

I also wear a size 12 SHOE!  TWELVE.  So I have to order all my shoes through the mail, try them on, and return them if they don't fit or I don't like them.

I have to put orthotics in the shoes, and usually heel pads to make the shoes fit, since my heels are narrow.

In June I had 140 Fire Ant Stings, because I stood on a Fire Ant Mound in the dark, and didn't know it and didn't feel the stings (neuropathy means numb feet) until there were so many.

I thought I would never get the ants off me that night.  The misery was intense and I had to have a Medrol Taper Pack to get over the flare induced.

I have had PT to help me walk better, but the PT people were dumbfounded when they read the medical report and they saw how profound my neurological loss and damage are.  They were amazed at how hard I try and how much I can do through sheer effort and will power.

It's always something.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

quilt4fun

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »
Oh Elaine,
I'm sorry you have so many pains with your feet!
You sound like a friend of mine who has had multiple surgeries on her toes, she wears sandals just about year round.
 It makes me sound so petty with my few problems!  Today, he said the ones at the base of my little toes are called tailors bunions.  Mine must be hereditary because I don't wear tight or pointy or high heeled shoes, am not overweight .  Been buying wide shoes with big toe box for several years--I hate shoe shopping!!! Summer is great because I can wear sandals!  Even then, I have trouble finding sandals with a wide squatty toe area.  Well, enough complaining--- I guess i can thank God that i can still walk almost normally .
Jan
Age 64. PSS, Gerd, Kidney stones,  dry eyes, dry skin, borderline high cholesterol, osteoporosis. lung scar tissue,  Taking:  Plaquenil, Meloxicam, protonix, potassium citrate, fortical ,calcium+D,  Lovaza , genteel jel and theratears liquid  gel,    medrol and lacriserts

Carolina

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 06:44:18 PM »
Oh dearest Jan, complain away.

When your feet hurt you hurt all over!

And our misery is OUR MISERY.  It isn't lessened by another's worse misery I've found.

We're here to support each other....and believe me I KNOW that the things called bunions have nothing to do with tight shoes or short shoes or high heels or weight.

Remember my FINGERS are warped and deformed as well, And I haven't worn anything on them remotely like shoes!

Amazingly I haven't had any surgery on my feet.  I have had plantar's warts (long ago) and they are terrible.

I have had surgery on my hands, however.  And it has all been successful and relatively easy.

Bunions are just arthritis.....I HATE the word bunion, don't you?

Hugs,  Elaine

PS my daughter in law had her bunions on her big toes taken off when she was in her 40's.  She's French and wears stiletto  heels with pointy toes!

Hugs E.
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

lighthouse33

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 01:37:14 PM »
I just thought I would share this.  A couple of weeks ago, the technician at the eye clinic, had just bought a pair of Skechers Go Walk shoes the day before.  She said she had foot problems, and these were the first pair of shoes she had found that were comfortable.

So, of course, I had to look them up on the Internet and order a pair for myself.  Normally, I wear a pair of shoes that are made for neuropathy. 

I ordered the Women's Skechers GOwalk 2 Axis in black.  My measured shoe size is 6.5M but I wear a 6M in the skechers.  Can't believe how comfortable they are and attractive too.  I got mine from Amazon.  Have been wearing them ever since.

I have a big fat plantar wart on the bottom of my foot.  Have had it removed surgically at least three times.  Think i will try the duct tape.  Derm said that it would go away once my immune system kicked in and killed it.  Like that will ever happen.  LOL!

Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

Carolina

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »
Oh Lighthouse, i wore ONLY Sketchers until I went UP to size 12.

I now wear ONLY Aerosoles.  Sketchers doesn't make size 12 except in Sneakers.

But Aerosoles has everything in 12, almost.  Boots even!

It is a joy to find a shoe that fits.

Hugs,  Elaine

Carebear

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »
Thank you for the tips about duct tape and Sketchers!   I always learn something from all of you.   ;)
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

slccom

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »
I had to have a surgical removal of a plantar wart on my now-gone big toe. Nothing killed it, and it would have taken over eventually.

Worked like a charm.

Sharon

quilt4fun

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 06:22:49 PM »
I have also found that Skechers are the most comfortable,  I've been wearing D'lites in a 8 wide.

Doc has a new laser that works on heat waves, said he thought that this time (3rd time) should get rid of that darn wart.

Once that heals, I have 3 more on the right foot. One is also back for the third time!

In my 40+ years of dealing with plantars, i have yet to have one go away on its own. And no OTC or home remedy ever helped.