Author Topic: Sjogren's and IBS  (Read 2284 times)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Sjogren's and IBS
« on: June 21, 2007, 02:17:47 PM »
Saw this being talked about on a thread so I thought I'd do a poll.  :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:44:11 AM by Scottietottie »
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Waldop

Re: Sjogren's and IBS
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 02:37:14 PM »
I've always been curious about this one as well. It's almost as if the two go together. The next poll question would be how many have had their gall bladder's removed, along with being diagnosed with Sjogren's. I'm part of that equation as well.

Barrie

mim

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 04:28:10 PM »
Me to  Gall Bladder removed when I was 25 due to stones..

Waldop

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 05:30:56 PM »
Me to  Gall Bladder removed when I was 25 due to stones..

I had mine removed when I was 39. Supposedly it was severly scarred.

Barrie

lynnmarie219

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 06:30:45 PM »
I put that I had Sjogrens before IBS but that is only because that is how I was diagnosed as the IBS symptoms became so severe just recently. Who knows how long I actually had IBS...or for that matter how long I've had Sjogrens? Its all too confusing to figure out...but yes I have both!! I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones here!! Lets hear it for luck!!!
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"   Jimmy Buffett

Waldop

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 06:48:12 PM »
I put that I had Sjogrens before IBS but that is only because that is how I was diagnosed as the IBS symptoms became so severe just recently. Who knows how long I actually had IBS...or for that matter how long I've had Sjogrens? Its all too confusing to figure out...but yes I have both!! I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones here!! Lets hear it for luck!!!

Lynn,

What sort've symptoms did you have with IBS??(If you don't mind me asking??)

Barrie

Clayton

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »
Its mentioned in a digestive book that Sjogrens can cause digestive problems. I'll read through it again and give more specifics.

lynnmarie219

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 11:23:22 PM »
Barrie,
   My IBS symptoms became worse in that I had more severe pain, bloating and cramping after eating certain foods and sometimes I couldn't even relate it to a meal. I did have to "go" to the bathroom often (about 5 to 10 times/day) and it was always very loose (sorry...but you asked...lol). One thing they look at when diagnosing for IBS is if you get  relief from the pain and cramps once you go to the bathroom and have a bowel movement (now they may return shortly later but will go away again when you go to the bathroom again). This was my case for the most part.  Sometimes it even woke me up at night with the pain. I  lost 14 pounds pretty fast from it.....of course I didn't mind losing the weight....but not like that....lol...I couldn't keep anything in me for very long it seemed.

I knew I had to see a new GI doc....my 2 previous ones worked together and didn't do much for me...blamed alot of it on my weight and didn't offer me any solutions and didn't even diagnose me with IBS. The new doctor I see is very nice and she diagnosed me right away and put me on the antibiotics. She said I was not a good candidate for the meds they use for IBS as they are extremely drying.......anyway....this route has helped me so much already....I am very grateful she look passed my weight and see that it could be something else medical causing the problem. Hope this helps!

Waldop

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 10:56:41 AM »
Barrie,
   My IBS symptoms became worse in that I had more severe pain, bloating and cramping after eating certain foods and sometimes I couldn't even relate it to a meal. I did have to "go" to the bathroom often (about 5 to 10 times/day) and it was always very loose (sorry...but you asked...lol). One thing they look at when diagnosing for IBS is if you get  relief from the pain and cramps once you go to the bathroom and have a bowel movement (now they may return shortly later but will go away again when you go to the bathroom again). This was my case for the most part.  Sometimes it even woke me up at night with the pain. I  lost 14 pounds pretty fast from it.....of course I didn't mind losing the weight....but not like that....lol...I couldn't keep anything in me for very long it seemed.

I knew I had to see a new GI doc....my 2 previous ones worked together and didn't do much for me...blamed alot of it on my weight and didn't offer me any solutions and didn't even diagnose me with IBS. The new doctor I see is very nice and she diagnosed me right away and put me on the antibiotics. She said I was not a good candidate for the meds they use for IBS as they are extremely drying.......anyway....this route has helped me so much already....I am very grateful she look passed my weight and see that it could be something else medical causing the problem. Hope this helps!

Lynn,

Thanks for your input. You sound just like me. It's weird how certain foods seem to trigger more severe abdominal cramps than others.. That first GI doctor of yours sounds as pathetic as a couple that I've been to. It's almost as if they don't want to take the time to figure things out for you. I'm so glad to hear that the present one you've got is decent. It's so hard to find that quality doctor nowadays.

It's funny because when the doctor out and out asked you if a bowel movement(pls pardon the graphic nature) relieves the pain, I find that sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't.

I'd like to try the antibiotic therapy and see what happens. How long do you have to be on it??

Barrie :D

lynnmarie219

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 08:52:08 PM »
Barrie,
I was on Xifaxan for 12 days. Its an antibiotic that they give to treat travelers diarrhea as it targets bacteria (its not  for virus's in the body as it doesn't enter the bloodstream). We will see how long the effects last. When I feel its at a point of being very bad again, she will  put me back on it for another 12 days. Since it is a newer route they are trying...I'm not sure how long the good results will last....few months......a year??? Right now its been almost 2 months of feeling better for me. After I finished my 12 days I also started taking probiotics (acidophilus  - which is the good bacteria we can put into our systems). Anything is better than what I was going through for a while there. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about it.....good luck!

Lady M

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 09:41:32 AM »
No IBS...at least not yet...but did have my gallbladder removed last summer...huge gallstone...3cm....thought I was having a heart attack.  Never knew a gallbladder attack was similar....nobody ever suggested it was connected to my Sjogren's....interesting though. 

colleenvy

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 08:15:47 PM »
wow the more and more i read, the more amazed I get. these things I have, and have never ever thought were related. I had my gall bladder removed( been told it was completely black, diseased) and I have been dx IBS(7ys ago) and SJS(this yr). Im glad to know there are others out there that have all these things, and Im not just broken!!