Author Topic: Woke by cat walking on legs-Have no cat!  (Read 2865 times)

bloodless

Woke by cat walking on legs-Have no cat!
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »
Has anyone else had trouble sleeping because they feel what feels like a cat walking across their legs? This keeps happening. Since I have no cat, the first time it happened I almost jumped out of my skin! Scared me to death. I thought some kind of animal got in the house. I started to go back to sleep and it happened again, so I slept with the light on. Nothing was there. I looked carefully at my legs. I think my muscles are twitching or something. Anyway, a search on the web brought up restless leg syndrome and paranormal sites. I'd like to know if any of my fellow sjogies have had this happen. Yes, I have peripheral neuropathy and take neurontin (gabapentin).
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

wildforwater

Re: Woke by cat walking on legs-Have no cat!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »
The only thing I feel on my legs (feet, arms and hands) from peripheral neuropathy, besides numbness and tingling is a feeling as if cold water is dripping on me.  I don't have RLS, but it sounds like that may be the culprit.

Or did you leave the window open for the neighbor's cat? ;D

Hope you feel better.

Maria
Sjogren's; Hashimoto's Thyroiditis; Raynaud's Syndrome; GERD; Barrett's Esophagus; Gilbert's Syndrome; Tremors; SFN; Osteoporosis; Osteoarthritis; Lyme 2003 & Lyme/Babesiosis 2010; OB; Plaquenil; Evoxac; Restasis; Prevacid; Synthroid; Prozac;Estrace Cream; Vitamin D.

litliwlowa

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:08:20 PM »
I haven't experienced the sensation of a cat crawling on me, but periodically get a sensation like a bug is crawling on me when there is nothing crawling on me. Always in the same place too.

Maybe it's part of the PN?

I just asked my roommate who has severe leg movements if he ever had the sensation you describe and he doesn't experience that.

Could it be a mouse maybe? They generally sneak out in the dark. Easy enough to check for that - see if any droppings are in lower cabinets and such.

SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

bloodless

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 02:28:19 PM »
Nope no window open. No mice. I felt it while watching my legs and nothing is there.

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 03:23:39 PM »
Well, if it's a ghost cat at least you won't have to feed it! I have RLS and my calfes keep "dancing". At least that is what it looks like visually. I just hope it's part of RLS. Doctors just ignore when I mention it.
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

litliwlowa

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »
Nope no window open. No mice. I felt it while watching my legs and nothing is there.
Okay, then as you are watching your legs while experiencing these sensations, as they any indentations to match what you feel as a cat walking on you?

I used to have a cat (several actually) but my most recent used to walk on me sometimes and when I was wearing shorts I could see the indentation under his paw as he walked on me.
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

SjoGirl

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »
Is it possible that your muscles are twitching? If yes, one avenue to pursue is whether you are having a type of seizure.

I started having seizures about three months ago. I felt like someone was holding an electrical cord to my muscle then it would twitch. Not quite the same as a cat walking, but since then I feel like something presses on me which then causes the muscle to contract.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Pinkfish

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 07:11:12 PM »
I thought it read that you were being woken at night by a cat walking on two legs. 

I've dealt with muscle twitches every single day for the last 7 months. They have attacked all my muscles by now. When I'm laying on the couch watching tv and get back twitches, it feels like I have a mouse or giant bug crawling behind my back, making me jump up and investigate what's crawling underneath me, until I realize the muscles back there are twitching. I'm lucky that I never experience the twitches during the night, which is weird since I have them every waking hour. Sounds like you're having muscle twitches!

gurs

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 03:57:47 AM »
Its the neuropathy.....I have this all the time. I keep the heating blanket on my legs all night, and it seems to help.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 05:54:36 AM »
Yes, neuropathy can create the oddest sensations.

There are medications to ease up the nerve activity.

But I'll take an actual cat walking on my legs, any time.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

bloodless

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »
Alll good repsonses! I emailed my rhuemy. He suggested I take one less neurontin at night. That's not happening! I take 4 - 300 mg capsules a day. I went down to 3 once. The feeling of ants biting me and burning took two weeks of taking 4 again to get over it. I'll take light pressure over that any day. It doesn't bother me any more. Initially, it scared me 'cause I thought a rat or some animal got in the house. (like that lady in the commercial that lets a racoon in instead of her cat).

Sjogirl, you're dead on about the twitching. It doesn't hurt though. I now just accept it along with all the other bizarre things sjs does.....

SjoGirl

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »
It turns out my twitching was from my Plaquenil. As soon as I stopped taking it the twitching and seizures stopped.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

bloodless

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
Thanks SjoGirl. I saw rhuemy and other than saying he if he woke up 'cause he felt something walking on him, he would have been scared to death too. He did think I was experiencing some side effects from the neurontin. I lose my balance sometimes.