Author Topic: Need some insight  (Read 2739 times)

Xina

• A Sjogren's Blog
Need some insight
« on: June 18, 2014, 11:34:10 AM »
Hi all,

Ok, geesh where do I start? I have so much floating around in my head.

First, I want to expand my knowledge and go back to school again for the 4th time.

Background: I am 41. I was in college trying to finish my two year in 2012. I was noticing the hip stiffness that summer at school, the exhaustion (sleepy eyes in class) and with online class I dropped it because I couldn't remember anything that I had read, on my exam I got a D. I am typically a 4.0 student.
 I quit because
1.. my daughter was having a baby (still living with me age)
2. I had my upper teeth removed
3. then I started getting dizzy and nausea.
4This was ALL before my diagnosis. I had no idea what was going on.
5 I got about 5 more food allergies while in school, one landed me in the hospital ER. It calmed some after I quit. I have a total of 14.

Second, I cannot physically go back to a school unless I can quit working and I cannot do that. With my severe food allergies and how much I HAVE to cook for myself its impossible to do that plus homework and be away from home without food. NO convenience food for me. I also have one child left at home and he is 12 and doesn't want me away every evening. I should mention we live about 45 minutes away from the nearest school.

I am worried with my prior online experience that I will not remember anything and completely not do well. Having Sjogrens too, I wonder if I can tolerate staring at a computer screen for hours on top of doing that at my job! I work in accounting. I have problems now!

Third, I WANT OUT OF ACCOUNTING! Because of my eyes and I am burnt out. I want to help people, right now I am helping a company.

Fourth, my first choice of a career change is Medical Assisting but I would have to go to a brick school to do this, then I would go on to be a dietician. Which would be fine if I could quit work.
My second choice is to finish my two year and go on to a four year in Child, Adolescent and family studies all on line. Through a Private non profit college. This would allow me to keep working, still eat and be home for my one child left at home who is 12. But again the on line issue.

My question is, Has any of you done school with this disease? Has Anybody done on line and graduated?
Did you get disability worked into this so you could have more time to finish tests? Do you think its worth the student loans and time? I worry about being disabled later on and don't want to tack on extra debt.

I realize you cannot tell me what to do and I don't want that, I just want to know from others who have this disease and maybe other diagnosis on top of it who have done college and have advice or their thoughts on going back. I want real life experiences from others who have done this.
www.asjogrensblog.blogspot.com

Primary Sjogrens(dx2013), Ehlers-Danlos type 3 with classic features, fibromyalgia, 20+ severe and life threatening food allergies

Plaquenil, Restasis, vitamin D, mirtazapine, allergy meds, eye drops, Neutrasal

DryGuy

Re: Need some insight
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:46:48 AM »
Maybe this can help you.  This woman has Lupus and Sjogren's since 17 and this was her "story" when she was in college.  She went onto medical school at Harvard and then did a pediatric residency followed by a pediatric endocrinology fellowship.  http://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/koop/resources/chronic_illness/kate_story.php

Xina

• A Sjogren's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 12:10:03 PM »
That's is very inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

I do wonder if she worked during that time. But if I can manage part-time school and maybe cut my hours by another 6 , maybe I can swing it.

My dream is to be a dietician and help patients with auto immune disease and multiple food allergies.

Primary Sjogrens(dx2013), Ehlers-Danlos type 3 with classic features, fibromyalgia, 20+ severe and life threatening food allergies

Mexgal

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
Boy, I sure hope you can become knowledgeable in diet and health and the impact/effects it can have on people with autoimmune disorders.  There is so much information out there regarding diets and what works for autoimmune but so much of it is in conflict with what others say.  I know we are all different and what works for one might not work for someone else.   

I have tried various diets but not with much success.  My biggest problem is that I easily lose weight and can not afford to lose anymore...already drop down at times to an unhealthy BMI.

So hopefully you can get the education you want and come back here and "coach" us all.
Sallie

quietdynamics

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
Can you take your accounting skills and experience into a hospital position or a job position that offers tuition reimbursement so that you can go straight to your goal of being a dietitian.
A registered dietitian ( perhaps it depends on where you attend) program may require clinical work, sometimes if you are already in that environment (hosp., nursing home, etc) you can make it work for you.

Clearly you are not a single person without other obligations and financial responsibilities.

I wasn't either when I decided to go on for a higher degree.  I took Accelerated courses which worked better for me.

No family in the area, it was constant juggling.
The one online course that I tried  had me falling asleep. 1st and only time I dropped a course.
(later took it in-class and worked better for me). Having an adolescent and a young teen at home.. too many distractions and 'needs' pulling at me.

I also starting paying off my student loan the day I started classes.  Purchased books used from other students, etc.
But, that was quite awhile ago.. things may be different now.

Looking back I believe the online course may have been difficult as SJS symptoms were already presenting. It was before I sought medical and way before a Dx.

Hopefully you are ahead of the curve and being managed years before I was.

Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

bina1

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »
Thanks Mexgal, I WOUKD love to help those with Auto immune but you are right each of us is different. I found Auto immune paleo not helping at all. My dietician put me on a low histamine diet that does better for me. She did this due to my severe food allergies. She thinks I'm having histamine issues, and I think she hit that one on the head.

I want to help more food allergic people like myself but I won't limit myself.

Hi quiet, I did work at a mental health facility and they wouldn't pay for my school. I had to quit there due to one woman harassing me about my food allergies. Plus I need a job that is 30 hours or less. Yes I'm married and gave one child living at home that doesn't want me gone every evening. My husband works opposite shift. I went to school in the evenings in 2012 and I couldn't cook or keep up with my kids. That meant kids suffered and I starved.
Online caused me a lot if stress I think the concentration and my eyes are the problem. I'm really going to have to think about thus realistically. I may have to wait fir when I can quit work and just get the medical assistant certificate.

Btw I am not in meds yet for Sjogrens. I was diagnosed last year with Sjogrens, Fibromyalgia and Raynauds.

Mexgal

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 03:34:30 PM »
I too tried the AIP (autoimmune Paleo diet) and all I did was lose more weight which for me was not a good thing.  I actually didn't feel very good on it either.  If you Xina tell me the foods you avoid.  I have cut tons out but am always looking to improve.  I eat many of the same things over and over as I still enjoy them
Have a great week end.
Sallie

Xina

• A Sjogren's Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 04:32:55 PM »
Mexicali, I am severely allergic to wheat, eggs, treenuts, peanuts, all beans including soy, rice, millet, sorghum, mango

I am very intolerant to tomatoes, peppers, potatoes.

I eat very well but very limited. I have a blog where I post recipes. I didn't do well on AIP either. I lost weight too.

Mexgal

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 04:48:15 PM »
Thank you Xina for listing what you can't eat. 

I know we are all different and what works for one doesn't always work for another.  sometimes though if someone mentions something that bothers them you think....hum, perhaps that's why I didn't feel so good after I ate that.
Have a nice evening.
Sallie

SjoGirl

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 05:00:45 PM »
Xina, I haven't taken classes while having SjS but have held down a 30 hour a week job, started my own consulting firm, and developed a brand new online course that I will be leading this fall if 20 people sign up.

Like others, I have had to decide where to spend my time and I've taken my time doing all of this. The business move is to give myself a more flexible way to make a living if I need it. Teaching is something I love, but it is a lot of work as is taking a class.

Have you tried to talk with an adviser for the online program? Some universities have people that will chat with you by phone about your goals. They could also discuss reasonable accommodations for you because you should be as eligible to have them as someone sitting in a classroom.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

slccom

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 09:39:28 AM »
If eyes are an issue with online, you can get some software that will read the text aloud to you. That is certainly a "reasonable accommodation."

Think baby steps! You'll get there, but feel your way carefully.

Hugs, Sharon

Xina

• A Sjogren's Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 12:13:08 PM »
I did to to a university for on line and I realized with my desk job looking at a computer all day then having to do online school up to 40 hours a week... No way. Too much. My eyes are the worst symptom after the tiredness and joint pain.And I tried online school twice and hated it. I just have to realize it's not for me.
I may have to wait until I can quit job in three years and take a more part time job and go to school physically. For now I will have to be happy writing my blog. I do miss school and coming to that realization that I couldn't work full time and go to school was disappointing. ( I had a major flare that caused some serious problems during that time)
I have to learn to pace myself.:(

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
What is a low histamine diet?

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi