Author Topic: "allergies" feather pillow and cough variant asthma in PARIS!  (Read 1708 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Dearest Angels, so here we are in Paris, which is marvelous as always.  In the middle of the night two nights ago I had super itching around my lips, followed by wheezing.  If I coughed (to clear my chest) I went into spasms that just got worse and worse every time I coughed.

Finally I had two thoughts 1) I had gotten the FEATHER pillow!  and 2) I’ll bet this is COUGH VARIANT AStHMA.

Cough variant asthma actually is trigger by coughing.  Go figure!.  You start with some sort of induced cough (the feathers in my case) and then by coughing you induce the asthma component.

I was of course Googling this at 3 am to figure out what was going on.

Solution:  Stop coughing, no matter how much you want to cough.  AND take two Benadryl (I never am without it in my purse).   Oh, and pitch the pillow of course across the room!

By the time I had been coughing for about 20 minutes, I had worked up some terrific wheezing and struggling for air.  I can see how kids would panic and wind up in the hospital.

I put “allergies” in quotes since my IgE is 5, and technically I can’t have allergies, just like I can’t have autoimmune conditions without any auto antibodies.  Everything I have is just my cytokines going bonkers, (I think, but don’t know).

Anyway, I was pleased to solve that problem.  AND EVEN MORE PLEASED that my cough wasn’t an ILLNESS.  Not a cold, not the flu, not bronchitis.

I have not been sick since August 2013……this is a record.  One I’m happy to be setting.

Hugs,  ElaineD
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

stephL

Re: "allergies" feather pillow and cough variant asthma in PARIS!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:38:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Elaine. I hadn't heard of this type of asthma, good to know and I'm glad you've gotten it under control. I love feather pillows but had to get rid of them too. Enjoy the rest of your stay...
"Unlike weakness, fatigue can be alleviated by periods of rest." -Wikipedia: Fatigue (medical)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 03:28:20 AM »
I try not to travel any place I can not bring my own bed and bedding. I travel in a mini van. I bhing my folding recliner, neck pillow, mumps scarf, and blanket. It is hard to fit all of this as carry on for air travel.

I have heard of some prople bringing sheets, pillow cases, air pillow and air mattress with in their luggage. My great aunt did this.

Maybe next trip?
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Helene

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »
I generally bring my own pillow wherever I travel, but I also call ahead and ask that all down and feather pillows and duvets be removed before I come. They rarely actually do this until I arrive and check for down. I would be sick for weeks if I slept with down. I no longer test positive for most allergies since I have CVID, but I still have serious reactions to allergens in the wild including dust mites (that love down) and animal dander. I've learned to be very careful and proactive.
73, Sjogrens, hypothyroid, multiple allergies, osteoarthritis,, cvid. Plaquinil, Synthroid, Zyrtec, Naproxen, Prozac, Cymbalta, Ambien, Vit D, B12, C, Fish Oil, Pancreatin; prn Tramadol.