Author Topic: Yeast is crazy? Cooking sauerkraut?  (Read 2936 times)

angeldancer

Yeast is crazy? Cooking sauerkraut?
« on: April 26, 2014, 11:50:33 PM »
Just a quick need to help all this horrible bacteria.  How do we make sauerkraut?  Need a recipe or two.  I can't eat yogurt.  Aside from taking the probiotic what is another natural way to make this happen
eagles flight//

Sjogrens, Arthritis, colonrectal cancer survivor, Diverticulosis, fibromyalgia, chronic sinus, chronic pain, kidney stones,  chronic allergies, digestive tract issues, norco, plaquenil, ativan, ambien, lyrica, claritan, neuron tin, celexa,predinisome,

janny

Re: Yeast is crazy? Cooking sauerkraut?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:59:51 AM »
Do you cook sauerkraut? I have no idea. I buy the Bubbies brand at Whole Foods (other places sell it cheaper) because it is "raw" and loaded with probiotics and good bacteria. I also eat their pickles.

Can you drink Kefir? That has a lot more good bacteria than yogurt. I make a Kefir smoothie everyday and put a few berries and flaxseed in it as it can be really sour.

Also, there's some stuff called Kombucha that you can buy in the refrigerated "health food" section of your grocery story that has enzymes, probotics and antioxidants in it that's supposed to be really good for you. I know you can make that yourself, but I'm too lazy. I buy about two of those a week and drink them. Again, pretty sour and not so cheap (about $2.99 for a small bottle). But, sometimes I get sick of sauerkraut and Kefir and try to switch it up.

I do honestly think my crazy diet is helping a little. Of course, I don't eat sugar, either. My husband is not happy with my cooking lately. I'm experimenting with some different recipes. Face it, nothing is as good (even spaghetti sauce) without a little sugar. I do cheat a little, too, with some 80% dark chocolate. That is my forever downfall!!:)

I hope you find something to help your yeast. There's always good old probiotic pills, too.

I hope somebody does know how to cook sauerkraut if that's what you do with it. That could save me a lot of money.

Hugs and take care.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:03:36 AM by janny »

ohiolady

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 08:27:54 AM »
My grandmother used to make raw sauerkraut.  I think you would get the most benefit from raw.  I used to love it as a little girl.  I bet you could Google and get recipes.  I make Kombucha tea.  You have to have the starter scoby.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Calli66

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:08:29 AM »
Yeah, you can buy raw sauerkraut, and even kefir cultures that are in water, not in milk.

I have tried both, with disastrous results----horrible stinking gas for days on end.

So, my advice, try it. But GO SLOW.

Calli

lori

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 11:51:49 AM »
you definitely want a lacto fermented one- not just soaked in vinegar- most stores carry the vinegar stuff- bubbies is fermented and wonderful! eat it cold! don't cook- that kills the probiotics!!!!

jazzlover

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 12:45:30 PM »
I'll be right back with a simple recipe!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

jazzlover

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »
This video will help! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmWiRJxlETY .. 10 min long.

Here you go:

Two of Our Favorite Beginners' Recipes

Version 1
3 heads green cabbage, shredded in a food processor
1 bunch kale, chopped by hand
(optional): 2 cups wakame ocean vegetables (measured after soaking), drained, spine removed, and chopped
1 Tbsp. dill weed

Version 2
3 heads green cabbage, shredded in a food processor
6 carrots, large, shredded in a food processor
3 inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

To Make Cultured Vegetables
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl

2. Remove several cups of this mixture and put into a blender.

3. Add enough filtered water to make a "brine" the consistency of a thick juice. Blend well and then add brine back into the first mixture. Stir well.

4. Pack mixture down into a glass or stainless steel container. Use your fist, a wooden dowel, or a potato masher to pack veggies tightly.

5. Fill container almost full, but leave about 2 inches of room at the top for veggies to expand.

6. Roll up several cabbage leaves into a tight "log" and place them on top to fill the remaining 2 inch space. Clamp jar closed.

7. Let veggies sit at about a 70 degree room temperature for at least three days. A week is even better. Refrigerate to slow down fermentation. Enjoy!

--

Since I am very sensitive to things like onions and garlic, I use cabbage, dill, and carrots. For times I did not have the ability to stand and shred cabbage, I cheated and bought non-organic bags of cabbage that's already shredded. (cole slaw)

I do NOT use salt. Donna Gates of the Body Ecology Diet says salt can inhibit the growth of some of the good bacteria. It is safe to not use salt. I've been making this for over a year now.

I make mine very much as is shown in this video. Very simple.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

jazzlover

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 01:22:20 PM »
PS.. Kombucha is considered a "wild ferment." Not recommended unless your gut has been healed somewhat.

angeldancer

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
Thank you all for the excellent information.  I think for time sake I will buy the bubbies I think it was said and then take my time making raw sauerkraut until I get it right.  Healing this gut is so important for all the problems my body is going through.  I think it will help the menopause too.
eagles flight//

Sjogrens, Arthritis, colonrectal cancer survivor, Diverticulosis, fibromyalgia, chronic sinus, chronic pain, kidney stones,  chronic allergies, digestive tract issues, norco, plaquenil, ativan, ambien, lyrica, claritan, neuron tin, celexa,predinisome,

jazzlover

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 05:51:52 PM »
Good luck, angeldancer!

gphx

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 10:33:12 PM »
Goodbelly is a brand which offers dairy free choices in standard probiotics.

Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

jazzlover

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 01:32:21 PM »
Custom Probiotics also has dairy free.  I like it.

angeldancer

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 08:50:12 PM »
Thanks.  I know that I don't say much but I try to keep my energy for this ongoing stuff but I have to say thanks because all of you have been such a big help
eagles flight//

Days Off

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 03:55:44 AM »
Sauerkraut is wonderful!  Making your own is cheap and easy but does take some time.

Farmhouse Culture makes some great sauerkraut.  They sell it at the local Fresh Market.  I have seen it in a number of stores in many parts of the country.  My favorite is the horseradish leek.  I actually brought some with me to Africa when I came to work this month.

Making sauerkraut is easy.  Basically you put cabbage in a container with a salt brine and wait a few days for it to ferment. 

Here's a recipe I posted here last fall:
http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=24841.msg265568#msg265568

Good luck and hope it helps!