Author Topic: Wobbly knees, anyone?  (Read 1158 times)

Nymph

Wobbly knees, anyone?
« on: March 26, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »
Does anyone have experience with wobbly knees?

Background: my knees have occasionally bothered me for the last 3 years. Stiff, hurting, etc. Since the beginning of this month they have been hurting enough that I have been avoiding my regular walking and biking, even trying to limit trips up and down the stairs. They seemed slightly swollen towards the beginning. Then just pain, some stiffness. Now they don't hurt as much so I've started walking again. However, when I walk it feels so weird! It's like I'm walking on a suspension bridge - every step wobbles. My hands and wrists have been hurting this whole time, too. I am on the lookout for RA as I have +CCP. So far no one has thought I have RA due to lack of clinical signs. I also have not been having that many problems with my joints for the past year until now. Does this happen with Sjogren's joints?
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

Thea

Re: Wobbly knees, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:49:12 PM »
I I have an inflammatory form of osteoarthritis and one of the most annoying things about it is the wobbly knees and ankles. It's like my joints don't do what they're supposed to do. I have to think carefully about every step. Sometimes they are painful, sometimes red, sometimes hot. But not always. They're always wobbly, though! Some days worse than others. Sometimes one will just give out on me entirely.

I had a hard job explaining this symptom to the rheumy, so I am interested to hear someone else has it!
Inflammatory osteoarthritis, dx Nov 2013, Secondary SS (sero-neg) dx Feb 2013, Type 2 Diabetes (diet controlled), Post-Viral Syndrome (lungs); Hydroxychloroquine, Restassis, Omega 3 oils, Optive Advanced, Biotene, fluoride gel, MI Paste

Nymph

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 05:35:18 AM »
Yeah, it is so weird! I don't feel like I'm going to fall or anything. It just feels so weird - not like normal walking on the ground. Inflammatory osteo, huh? I've never heard of that. I'm pretty sure mine must be either SS or RA related. I can't tell if they're swollen or anything. Do yours swell?
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:42:56 AM »
When that happened to me I referred to it as "trick knees".  It just felt like I was going to collapse.  Then..my knee would almost lock.   (and they hurt!)  Anyway, I bought a Pilates Reformer machine to do stretching and strengthening of my joints.  It has helped immeasurably.  I have done this for nearly 3 years.   Do I still have "trick" knees?  Yes.  Not nearly as often, and my balance has improved as my core has strengthened.  You can find a pilates studio at some PT offices/gyms, at YMCAs, and then private studios.  Oh..and didn't realize I was positive for RA until I got test results in Dec, 2013.  Don't know how old you are..but I am almost 72.

Good luck...be careful! 

Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Thea

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:57:07 AM »
Strengthening around the knees does help with the "giving out" thing. I do yoga. But the wobbly feeling is still there for me.

As for what inflammatory osteoarthritis is, they don't actually know! They just know it's an aggressive form that damages joints quite quickly. Later it often turns out to be RA, but not always. Sometimes it goes away. My GP says it is a rather new way of looking at arthritis. In the past it was often diagnosed as sero-negative RA, but it has a particular joint erosion pattern. Anyway, that's the best I've been able to figure out. If you google it the info is all over the map, and some of it is simply wrong.
Inflammatory osteoarthritis, dx Nov 2013, Secondary SS (sero-neg) dx Feb 2013, Type 2 Diabetes (diet controlled), Post-Viral Syndrome (lungs); Hydroxychloroquine, Restassis, Omega 3 oils, Optive Advanced, Biotene, fluoride gel, MI Paste

Nymph

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »
Interesting. Thanks, Thea. That does sound like a confusing diagnosis. I don't have any definitive diagnoses, either, so I know how that goes.

Thanks, cccourt! My legs are actually pretty strong. My core could be better! I am 35 and familiar with Pilates although it's not something I've done lately. I'm glad that it's helped you. Yes, I think that, when you can't rely on your joints, you'd better be strong and stable! That's pretty late to be diagnosed with RA. I wonder how long you've had it?