Author Topic: Woke up with one puffy eye  (Read 1907 times)

littleme

Woke up with one puffy eye
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:25:17 AM »
Hey all! 

I haven't been on in a while-life has me going.  I woke up with one puffy eye.  This is not the first time, but doesn't happen regularly.  No sign of bug bite or allergy.  The eye is still swollen.  No sinus pressure.  When I looked it up online, dermatomyosis came up.  Really don't think that is what it is, but it had connections to autoimmune diseases.  Anyone ever experience puffy/swollen eye. Just trying to decide if it is really something to be concerned about.
Thanks!
Female. No diagnosis, plaquenil, prednisone (for flares), restasis, multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin d

brooklyntina

Re: Woke up with one puffy eye
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:44:09 AM »
The whole sjogrens journey started for me with one giant inflamed lacrimal gland. It made my whole eye droop to the point everyone thought it was a stroke or bells palsy (it wasn't). Is that possibly what's happening? I do get just regular old puffy irritated eyes too during a flare but it's usually both of them being equally puffy. Sigh.

Is it the eyeBALL or the surrounding tissue?

littleme

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
Just the lid and surrounding skin area in the inner corner.  It is always just one eye the puffs up and usually the right.  I have been using Restasis at night for 3 years and take Plaquenil.  I also is pretty gluten free.  By pretty--I cheat sometimes.  Yesterday I had a big plate of eggplant Parmesan with wheat noodles, not rice.  The skin down my cheek by my mouth seems just a little tight.  Weird, huh?
Female. No diagnosis, plaquenil, prednisone (for flares), restasis, multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin d

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:56:31 AM »
Cool compress?
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

littleme

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:59:04 AM »
Will try the compress-sorry for typos-on my phone with one bad eye.   ;)

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 08:37:40 AM »
I get the puffy eye once in a while, too.  I think it's partially due to some kind of stress, because it started when my daughter was little and we were having a family portrait done at church. I looked like I had been crying for days --- but only on the left!   ::)

I most recently had it when I spent a week at my sister's house, which is stressful in itself, but I was also in the sun too long that week (she lives in south Florida).

Can you perhaps keep a diary of sorts to see what might trigger it?
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

litliwlowa

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 09:00:11 AM »
littleme

The only time I get what you describe is usually allergy related (that's how I know it's been a month and is time to change the furnace filter actually). But for me it's both eyes affected in that circumstance.

I don't mess around with eyes. Suggest you need to be seen.

When mine do act up (or should I say act out), I try either cold or warm compresses depending on whether they're also gunky or not.

Amanda
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

Tivia

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 10:35:33 AM »
I get this from time to time..well something like it. Mine usually have a discoloration like a bruise sometimes it feels a little achy other times not. One thing I can tell you is  dermatomyosis  causes nailfold capillary changes, and muscle weakness or loss, you can have your enzymes checked , its a creatinine kinase I believe. Mine was over 500, but went down after a while. The nailfolds however are pretty conclusive, but you need a doctor that has the right equipment, and can read the patterns. Not many exists  ::), mine you can see with the naked eye, but the doctors here cant read the pattern from sclero or  dermatomyosis, so we wait to see what else pops up.