Author Topic: Pardon my graphic description.... Having problems Defecating....  (Read 9598 times)

LucyD

Re: Pardon my graphic description.... Having problems Defecating....
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »
Citrucel AND magnesium it will be. Might be nice to not feel so "backed up" too!! ;D >:(
Thanks.
Dxs: Sjogren's - seronegative, UCTD, soft tissue joint pain, Hypothyroidism
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)

Tivia

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
Well lets just say lately I cant get it all out  ::) Part of the problem is the meds I take, part of the problem is pelvic floor dysfunction. Who knew that muscles could atrophy in and around your nether regions ;D I guess my Dad was right when he said sitting too long would make me weak lol

LucyD

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »
So funny Tivia. Boy we have all had fun with this one.
Dxs: Sjogren's - seronegative, UCTD, soft tissue joint pain, Hypothyroidism
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)

litliwlowa

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 07:53:49 AM »
Well lets just say lately I cant get it all out  ::) Part of the problem is the meds I take, part of the problem is pelvic floor dysfunction. Who knew that muscles could atrophy in and around your nether regions ;D I guess my Dad was right when he said sitting too long would make me weak lol
My gastro doc and more recently the gastro surgeon are recommending physical therapy for my pelvic floor dysfunction. Biofeedback, don't know how that is going to work out as when initially recommended I had exhausted my annual outpatient rehab between lumbar spine, cervical spine and speech therapy last year. So gastro surgeon kicked back to gastro doc recommendation for physical therapy. Muscles still work but not correctly. Surgeon was unable to complete exam due to involuntary muscle spasms

But in my situation, more than sjogrens going on affecting bowels. Pending is whether MRI will be ordered for sacral spine. S2-4 nerves affect bowel function and no one MRI'd or even xrayed that part of my spine after that horrid fall in 2012, even tho I was clear that my sacral spine was the point of first contact with the floor in that fall.
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

tksret

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 07:55:34 AM »
Reading this thread with great interest....I have Sjogrens and never thought a lot about it. Had the standard dry mouth and dry eyes and didn't notice any improvement after taking Evoxac.... So I stopped and soon noticed I was having trouble passing stool...Went back to taking Evoxac and my physician also had me take metamucil at night and shortly the constipation ended.

Evoxac is now called cevimeline which I have been on for the past 6 months or so....Some weeks ago, constipation returned even with the added metamucil....Doc had me stop the metamucil and said to take Miralax instead, which I have been on now for about a week....Had some success (two or three very small movements a day) but now, as of yesterday, nothing...Total constipation again, even taking Miralax.

Am getting a lot more respect for the impact of Sjogrens...Didn't realize it would have such an effect on your intestines but I'm guessing it really must dry up your instestinal wall.

Have to go back and see what my physician suggests now....This is really getting frustrating!!!

gphx

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 02:50:24 PM »
Sjogrens produces a condition commonly known here as 'dry bum'. In the same way it impacts moisture producing glands such as tear ducts and salivary glands it can also impede the glands in the intestines which produce mucus to keep stool moist and help it along.

Eating a lot of dry or paste producing foods such as dry peanuts or saltines can make it worse. Much worse.

Eating fats lubricates the stool and helps it slide out. A tablespoon of coconut oil a day, either in food, or by itself, is a good way to accomplish this. This can work a lot better than using fiber because fiber can  push on dry, stuck stools causing a lot of discomfort to outright pain.

Put a little slide in your glide.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

litliwlowa

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2014, 03:15:23 PM »
Put a little slide in your glide.
LOL...that one phrase sure tickled my funny bone. ;D ;D
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

cchernek

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 11:07:42 PM »
You could possibly have a rectocele have you been assessed for one by your OBGYN or Gasteroenterologist.
Just a thought!?!
Cynthia, 40 YO Female, Sjogrens, hearing loss, short term memory loss, corneal ulcer, photophobia, weight loss, dysphagia, chronic pancreatitis, sinus tachycardia (SVT), chest pain, IBS, tubular interstitial  nephritis (Potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, Sodium wasting), Hypokalemic paralysis X's

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 12:48:31 AM »
The muscles in the lower pelvis get very weak for many reasons. This can be from a lot of lifting, childbearing, autoimmune disease (collagen disease--short explanation is the glue that holds the cells/tissues together does't work as well) plus the neuropathy that can also accompany all of the above.

Your OB/GYN needs to know about this as there are exercises that may help some people---do a search on Kegel for explanation. Then when all else fails it seems that some people aren't ill but they just seem to have less tone in their muscles and it is just the way there bodies are made. Makes for a miserable situation from time to time. Good luck all. Irish

Sweetheart

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »
Hope you are feeling much better now?

I had a blockage and impaction recently and was prescribed Laxido sachets. It took about ten sachets to clear the blockage and I now take one or two a day which does seem to help. I now have them on repeat prescription but I would rather be taking something more natural - I used to get by with Slippery Elm and Aloe Vera but they just weren't helping any more. Even glycerin suppositories (horrid things) which I tried in desperation were no use as the blockage was much higher up.  A gluten and dairy free diet helped my bowel issues for years but not any more sadly :( Back to the drawing board.  ;)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 12:52:04 PM »
If people are having problems emptying their bladder/bowels one should always check into the drugs they are taking. There are drugs that have anticholinergic effects and they can just raise havoc with nerve response and bladder emtying in some people. Talk with your doc about this. Pilocarpine is one drug that can cause some issues though it does't bother as much as some of the other drugs.

Some of the psych drugs can have this effect also. It is something that you should not make a decision about until you talk with your doc. Sometimes it can be the fact that more than one anticholinergic drug is being taken. Irish

wildforwater

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
I became super constipated as my Sjogren's progressed and attacked more and more of my moisture-producing glands. Although, I felt like I had to go, I too was unable to push it out. My stomach was so painful and extended that I thought something more serious was going on.  Spoke to my Rheumy who told me Sjogren's definitely causes your bum to be dry, making it harder to pass stools, and she suggested a capful and a half of Miralax every morning.  Unlike Benefiber and other fiber meds  which cause a lot of gas, Miralax softens/moistens the stool so it is more easily passed.  Took about 2 weeks to really get things going, but I've been very regular since and I seldom miss a day of taking it because I don't want to go back to where I was.  Also, if I don't have a bowel movement for whatever reason for one or two days at the most, I use a glycerin suppository (like Fleet) in the morning to help with getting things moving.  Works like a charm.

Hope everyone finds relief!

Maria
Sjogren's; Hashimoto's Thyroiditis; Raynaud's Syndrome; GERD; Barrett's Esophagus; Gilbert's Syndrome; Tremors; SFN; Osteoporosis; Osteoarthritis; Lyme 2003 & Lyme/Babesiosis 2010; OB; Plaquenil; Evoxac; Restasis; Prevacid; Synthroid; Prozac;Estrace Cream; Vitamin D.