Author Topic: Pardon my graphic description.... Having problems Defecating....  (Read 9576 times)

Waldop

Pardon my graphic description.... Having problems Defecating....
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »
Sorry to be so graphic, but there is no other way to describe what I'm presently going through. I'm not even sure whether this would be Sjogren related or not. I sometimes have that problem with various symptoms. In any event, I have had problems with defecating.  It's not what I would call 'constipation,' but rather, a problem of my stool literally getting stuck in my rectum. Apart of the stool comes out okay, but then a big chunk is stuck in my rectum.  Needless to say, it's annoying, messy and out and out uncomfortable.  I also have IBS, so maybe it's related to that.  I'm just curious if others have had the same problem??  ::)

Once again, I do apologize for my descriptive nature...

Barrie***

Katybarstool

Re: Pardon my graphic description.... Having problems Defecating....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »
Barrie, I don't think there's anything too graphic to discuss, if it's causing you problems.

I have a similar problem. My colo-rectal surgeon thinks it is Sjogren's related, but my rheumie isn't sure.

I'm female and have obstructed defecation due to failure to relax the pubo-rectalis muscle. It has caused me to have several pelvic prolapse repairs and a rectopexy for intussusception. However, I no longer have any prolapses, and am still struggling. When I see my colo-rectal surgeon early next month, I'm expecting him to suggest I start using rectal irrigation. If you google Peristeen, you will see what that entails.

Speak to your doctors. There may be a simple explanation, but even if there isn't, there is bound to be something to help you.

Hugs
Kathyx

Waldop

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »
Thanks for that info, Kathy!! I'm only sorry to hear all that you're going through!!!  I'm more inclined to believe what your colo-rectal surgeon says about it might be Sjogren related.   I've had this problem on numerous occasions. It's more of an intermittent problem, that comes and goes!!

Barrie***

Kendo

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
Could it be a rectal cell? My mom has one. Bandwidth unstable today -ugh!
Kendo
Seronegative for Sjogren's, Celiac, MG; ANA pos, eat GF, calcium disorder, asthma, probable myasthenia gravis, low potassium, low stomach acid, fat malabsorption.
Mestinon, calcium, Vit D, 600 mg NAC, multi Vit, B50 complex, potassium, evening primrose oil, fish oil

Waldop

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:00:19 PM »
Could it be a rectal cell? My mom has one. Bandwidth unstable today -ugh!
Kendo

I'm not really sure what the problem is, Kendo. Sometimes when I talk to my rheumy about these things he just tunes me out and quite frankly, I'm tired of it.  I wish I could change doctors, but we only have a handful of rheumy's in the area!!

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
Barrie, not too graphic at all.

I did have my adorable granddaughter once ask me if I ever had a poop come out and 'hang like a cocoon" from my bottom.  I almost died suppressing my laughter.   Think of the 'hanging like a cocoon', next time.

I think most of us have problems defecating, as you so delicately put it.  While there 'may be a million reasons and problems' and I am NOT a medical professional, the first two that come to mind are:

Dryness
Autonomic Neuropathy.

With dryness we just absorb all of the moisture so stuff gets stuck and doesn't move well.

With Autonomic neuropathy the gastric peristalsis that should be moving things along isn't working properly.

I have a place in my esophagus, for example, that doesn't work.  So I can be merrily eating and chewing and swallowing, only to find that the last bite goes nowhere because everything has been going down and stopping!  It is called 'an incompetent esophagus".  Sometimes I have to 'force the stuff out'  It isn't vomiting because is isn't coming from my stomach.  It is weird.  Sometimes it hurts horribly.  Sometimes I can drink something if I discover it before there's no room left.

I also have what is called 'idiopathic intestinal blockage'  this is when for no apparent reason your small intestine just stops working in one part.  It can be fatal because if it doesn't unblock, or isn't unblocked surgically, the part that stopped will eventually die and gangrene will set it.  For me is was unbelievably painful.  Beyond description.

It involves three days and two nights in the hospital while they wait to see if it will unblock on its own or if they'll have to do surgery.  It has always unblocked.  But all that time with an NG tube, IV's,  and agonizing pain.....not my cup of tea.

Now I know I have moderate autonomic neuropathy:  I get dizzy when I stand, I have problems with my bladder and emptying it completely.  And I have problems emptying my bowels.  It is just no fun.

I'm sure people here will have great advice!   I eat raisin bran for breakfast and that takes care of the constipation side of the equation.  The incomplete emptying that you are experiencing has no solution that I've found. 

I will stay tuned to see what is offered!

We're here Barrie and we can talk about anything.  Trust me on that.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Waldop

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »
Barrie, not too graphic at all.

I did have my adorable granddaughter once ask me if I ever had a poop come out and 'hang like a cocoon" from my bottom.  I almost died suppressing my laughter.   Think of the 'hanging like a cocoon', next time.

I think most of us have problems defecating, as you so delicately put it.  While there 'may be a million reasons and problems' and I am NOT a medical professional, the first two that come to mind are:

Dryness
Autonomic Neuropathy.

With dryness we just absorb all of the moisture so stuff gets stuck and doesn't move well.

With Autonomic neuropathy the gastric peristalsis that should be moving things along isn't working properly.

I have a place in my esophagus, for example, that doesn't work.  So I can be merrily eating and chewing and swallowing, only to find that the last bite goes nowhere because everything has been going down and stopping!  It is called 'an incompetent esophagus".  Sometimes I have to 'force the stuff out'  It isn't vomiting because is isn't coming from my stomach.  It is weird.  Sometimes it hurts horribly.  Sometimes I can drink something if I discover it before there's no room left.

I also have what is called 'idiopathic intestinal blockage'  this is when for no apparent reason your small intestine just stops working in one part.  It can be fatal because if it doesn't unblock, or isn't unblocked surgically, the part that stopped will eventually die and gangrene will set it.  For me is was unbelievably painful.  Beyond description.

It involves three days and two nights in the hospital while they wait to see if it will unblock on its own or if they'll have to do surgery.  It has always unblocked.  But all that time with an NG tube, IV's,  and agonizing pain.....not my cup of tea.

Now I know I have moderate autonomic neuropathy:  I get dizzy when I stand, I have problems with my bladder and emptying it completely.  And I have problems emptying my bowels.  It is just no fun.

I'm sure people here will have great advice!   I eat raisin bran for breakfast and that takes care of the constipation side of the equation.  The incomplete emptying that you are experiencing has no solution that I've found. 

I will stay tuned to see what is offered!

We're here Barrie and we can talk about anything.  Trust me on that.

Hugs,  Elaine

Thanks so much for your input, Elaine!! I'm only sorry that you have so much going on with your body, related to Sjogren's!!  I couldn't stop laughing at that 'hanging like a cocoon' analogy!! It's hilarious!!  :o !!! LOL!!!  Unfortunately, I've had this problem on numerous occasions. Some days I have no problems defecating, other days it's a chore, pure and simple!!!

Anyhow, you take care of YOU!!!  I appreciate your warm words of support ;D

Barrie***

litliwlowa

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 05:53:58 PM »
Barrie

Just catching up on your thread here. First, regarding your rheumy? Almost sounds like he is more embarrassed than you to discuss the subject.

There are times we have to be graphic to get to the root of the problem.

Have you consulted with a gastroenterologist? That would be my first step. Actually I have a gastro doc for defication "issues". Recently diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction. Oh joy (NOT). Thankfully my gastro is a woman, else I would be reluctant to get graphic with a man gastro. Oddly, I prefer a man gyno doc to a woman gyno doc. Okay, I slid off topic a sec.

Additionally have a stupid hemmorhoid they found during colonoscopy INSIDE rectum somewhere which they didn't bother to do anything about. Yet they did remove a polyp - both being problematic aside from the constipation. And when that "roid" acts up stuff gets stuck and it isn't fun at all. It doesn't act up all the time either.

My suggestion would be consult with a gastroenterologist. Bowel problems aren't anything to fool around with, especially if things are not moving as they should - even if partially moving. Stool shouldn't be getting stuck. And if it is an issue as "simple" as inflammation for example, even that needs to be addressed.

@Elaine you had me cracking up about your granddaughter. Reminded me of an old Star Trek joke about circling a certain planet called Uranus looking for Klingons. I couldn't resist the opening to comment on that.

Amanda
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

Waldop

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 06:12:43 PM »
Barrie

Just catching up on your thread here. First, regarding your rheumy? Almost sounds like he is more embarrassed than you to discuss the subject.

There are times we have to be graphic to get to the root of the problem.

Have you consulted with a gastroenterologist? That would be my first step. Actually I have a gastro doc for defication "issues". Recently diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction. Oh joy (NOT). Thankfully my gastro is a woman, else I would be reluctant to get graphic with a man gastro. Oddly, I prefer a man gyno doc to a woman gyno doc. Okay, I slid off topic a sec.

Additionally have a stupid hemmorhoid they found during colonoscopy INSIDE rectum somewhere which they didn't bother to do anything about. Yet they did remove a polyp - both being problematic aside from the constipation. And when that "roid" acts up stuff gets stuck and it isn't fun at all. It doesn't act up all the time either.

My suggestion would be consult with a gastroenterologist. Bowel problems aren't anything to fool around with, especially if things are not moving as they should - even if partially moving. Stool shouldn't be getting stuck. And if it is an issue as "simple" as inflammation for example, even that needs to be addressed.

@Elaine you had me cracking up about your granddaughter. Reminded me of an old Star Trek joke about circling a certain planet called Uranus looking for Klingons. I couldn't resist the opening to comment on that.

Amanda

Amanda...

My rheumy is usually pretty good about talking about issues.   He just rarely does anything. He accepts Sjogren's as is and doesn't help me out when I'm really feeling poorly.

One primary not only suggested seeing a gastro doctor, but having a colonoscopy as well. It's been awhile since I had one done.  I'm sure it's time. I just had the preparation for that procedure!!  :-[

Thanks....

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 09:43:51 PM »
As a registered nurse I have worked with many people over the years who have had this issue.I think that this is a multifaceted issue. First of all, the sjogrens does cause the decrease of the mucus secretions in the intestinal tract which makes it difficult for the colon to move the stool on through the tract.

Secondly, our diets these days are not as full of fiber as it should be and we Americans really pay the price. The other thing is that sjogrens can cause some neuropathy in the intestinal tract that can slow the movement of the stool. The bottom line is dry stool with less fiber in a slow moving intestinal tract causes the stool to pack together to cause what is known as an "impaction" in the medical field. This is a stool that is literally too large and it overfills the rectum and can't be expelled through the anus as it is too large.

The "cure" is to soften the stool with fluids and foods that cause the stool to be softer and more rough. The roughness or fiber in the stool irritates the intestinal tract and causes it to move the stool along at a faster clip. This in turn keeps the stool from packing together and getting too large to pass through the anus.

One of the things we used to do in the past was to have people eat dates, prunes, raisins, etc that have been run through a food processor and mixed with bran. Actually it is quite good and is very good to eat at night in order to help stimulate the colon. If the colon is still sluggish some doctors would order milk of magnesia every other night or so to help stimulate the colon to become more active and move the stool along.

Any time you have a severe problem with constipation you need to check with a doctor if you can't solve it yourself in a week or two. Sometimes a bad impaction can be a dangerous thing and needs intervention in a medication setting in order to solve the problem. If you get a large enough impaction you can have stool that is stuck in the lower colon and rectum and actually have liquify/softer stool that will leak around the sides of the impaction and cause incontinence of stool. This happens a lot to the elderly, but has been known to happen to younger people also. Also, be aware that a problem with constipation that is ongoing can reason to suspect something of a more serious nature that needs to be checked out by a doctor.

Also, be aware that all of the psychotropic drugs (antidepressants, anti epileptics, tranquilizers, etc and many other drugs) can slow down the intestinal tract and cause severe constipation. If a person goes on an antidepressant it is my opinion that they should check with the doc about using a stool softener/laxative of some sort to head off this problem before it occurs.

Hope all of you with bowel issues can get them under control.Irish

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »
I am glad this subject was brought up, because I have this problem with incomplete emptying all the time. It's weird too, because another thing that happens with me is when I feel the need to go pee, as I am doing that many times I start doing the other, but didn't know I needed too.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

quietdynamics

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 03:35:11 AM »

Along with what Irish posted  have you been Rx'd Salagen, pilocarpine or such.

wiki search on on Saliva
" saliva that is produced in a healthy person per day; estimates range from 0.75 to 1.5 liters per day "  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saliva

Plus all the other benefits of saliva.

Sometimes periodic blockage can be from dehydration. We need more than the recommended 8 glasses of water a day + fiber from fruit, vegs ( OTC fiber supplement), high fiber cereal on a daily basis.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

gurs

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 04:17:44 AM »
I have this issue..stomach just paralyzed..i have gastroparesis.

I think the neuro issues, muscle issues with sjogrens play a huge part.

I also learned that less fiber works better for me...too much can cause binding.

Ohhhhh, these stomachs. Seems so many of us have problems. Even as a child, I always had trouble.
I never got the "urge" to have a bowel movement...even back then, I had some gastroparesis, which I thought
was just constipation at the time.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Waldop

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 05:33:56 AM »
As a registered nurse I have worked with many people over the years who have had this issue.I think that this is a multifaceted issue. First of all, the sjogrens does cause the decrease of the mucus secretions in the intestinal tract which makes it difficult for the colon to move the stool on through the tract.

Is that you, Irish??? I remember you when I posted here a long time ago. How are you doing??  I appreciate your input.  Especially since your a nurse, you know quite a bit. 

Waldop

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 05:34:44 AM »
I am glad this subject was brought up, because I have this problem with incomplete emptying all the time. It's weird too, because another thing that happens with me is when I feel the need to go pee, as I am doing that many times I start doing the other, but didn't know I needed too.

susanep

Yup, that's me too, Susan!! It's one or the other and it can drive me CRAZY!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(