Author Topic: Eyebrows/eyelashes thinning  (Read 3976 times)

lmstewa62

Eyebrows/eyelashes thinning
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:25:33 PM »
My eyebrows are almost non-existent and my eyelashes are hardly there anymore. Does anyone else have this?  I also have almost no body hair - which my rheumy said is very common with Sjogrens. Just curious???

litliwlowa

Re: Eyebrows/eyelashes thinning
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:07:23 PM »
I don't have that so much with my eyebrows, but I noticed a short few years ago I no longer had armpit hair and most of the hair on my legs was gone. Haven't had to shave in geesh thinking it's been 4 years give or take.

Come to think of it, my eyelashes have thinned out. I don't notice that so much as I never wear makeup.

SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

sewandsew

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 07:49:38 PM »
I'm a surprised your rheumy says it's from Sjs. I always thought it was Hashimotos that caused my eye brows and lashes to thin as well as legs and armpits. My head hair has thinned too.

stillinshockwithsjogrens

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:48:48 AM »
My eyebrows, lashes and hair have really thinned progressively the past 5 years (I'm 55).  I don't have a thyroid condition. I, too, noticed I rarely have to shave my underarms or  legs anymore. My PCP, Rheumy and Dermatologist attribute it to menopause and Sjogrens.  They all said generally, autoimmune diseases can cause hair loss. Oddly, I still have hair where I don't want, all over my arms!

I've been using Rogaine for a year and notice little improvement.  Except now I have a moustache and hairier arms.  I'm afraid to stop using it, in case what little hair has grown on my head, falls out!!

I also take Andrew Lessman Healthy Hair, skin and Nails vitamin supplements.  A bit pricey, but again, I'm afraid to stop taking it for fear of losing any itty bit of hair on my head which has grown in.  The supplements definitely helped strengthen my flimsy nails.

AnaGamble

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 03:36:42 AM »
Strange though how anorexics get more body fur to keep them warm but us who also could really do with extra warmth lose ours instead. >_<

sassygal

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 07:20:34 AM »
Before my hypothyroid dx (non hashi's), I lost my eyebrows and most of my eyelashes before I could convince my (then) PCP to do a thyroid panel. Once on synthroid, my eyebrows slowly came back to normal, but my eyelashes are short and wimpy to this day!

I would be happy to permanently lose the armpit and leg hair though!

Jasper

• P SJS; SFN; Sensory Polyneuropathy/Ganglionopathy
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:42:12 AM »
I noticed that I have lost some eyebrow hair, especially the lateral 1/3 of them. The hair on my head is also thinner, although it was never thick. I have a lot less leg and axillary hair as well, although I never had a lot of hair on my legs or my axilla. The only hair that seems not to have thinned is my forearm hair even though I would love to lose it.

I do not have any thyroid problems. I do recall reading that Sjogren's can cause hair thinning.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 10:57:30 AM »
Yep, Sjogrens can and does this to a body! I am the same,  very sparce eyebrows or lashes. No body hair arms legs etc'
  Even my lovely thick hair I used to have is going the same way.  What SS does to us is soul destroying!
  Even tho' I am now in my seventies, I mourn for what I used to have .    Boo hoo,  Dolly x

Irishlass

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
Eyelashes definitely thinning!

Glad I'm not the only one!

slccom

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 05:28:36 PM »
There is another autoimmune disease, Alopecia areata, that causes body-wide hair loss. It is NOT a typical Sjogren's symptom. And from what I have seen, there isn't much in the line of effective treatment.

A dermatologist can diagnose it.

Sharon

SjoGirl

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 02:19:16 PM »
I  have little hair on my legs, hair on my arms is very thin, and eyebrows are thin (and graying). I use a product called Gimme Brow which I love because it's a gel that not only colors my lashes it fills them out a bit. I look normal when I wear it.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

finallyadx

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 06:27:48 AM »
I have had thinning hair and thinning eyebrows...was not sure if it was beginnings of menopause, sjogrens or thyroid.  I have no diagnosed thyroid issues so could very well be sjogrens...the gift that keeps giving.

I hope you can find some answers and some relief.
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc