Author Topic: Cavities, cavities, all in 6 mos.  (Read 6144 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Cavities, cavities, all in 6 mos.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 09:44:26 PM »
For about 20 years I lives in the dentists office. Around year 2001 I got 8 cavities in less than 6 months. I went through some stuff with my dentist and walked out never to darken his door again. I know that I helped to fund some of his gambling trips to Las Vegas.!!!!!

Then it took me some months to find a new dentist and from Feb to November I had developed 17 cavities. I could not believe it. I had been begging for a couple of years to get my teeth pul led. My new dentist eventually did see that my 19 teeth that were left were pulled. I did not get any fillings in those 17 cavities either. Finally got diagnosed with sjogrens in Sept 2003 and in Dec I started getting the rest of those rotten teeth pulled. It is just the pits but getting those teeth pulled is the biggest relief ever.

I don't even mind dentures as my life was not my own for many years with cavities, abscesses, root canals and abscesses from the root canals. Endless energy drain and money pit. I had some insurance but paid very little and I could not get my BCBS to pay to have my teeth pulled even under anesthesia. Good luck. Irish

litliwlowa

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 03:05:45 AM »
Tinker

Try sugarless lemon drops. Something in the sourness helps stimulate saliva. I also find helpful Xylimelts.

Amanda
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

Tinker

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »
Irish, I'm sorry you had to pull your teeth.  I have spent so much $$ on these teeth to keep them and I sure don't want to lose them. 

I have no pain on brushing, no pain on flossing.  These cavities have to be small.  Each cavity will cost 184$ to fill.  The insurance will pay about half on some of them and $30 on some of the others.  I can't imagine why the disparity.??

I can't see these cavities....that is why I am wondering if he just saw a tiny discoloration and said it was a cavity.  My old dentist told me he didn't fill every little thing...he waited to see if things progressed.  Each time they fill, they have to lose some healthy enamel, so that is why he would keep an eye on that suspicious spot.

Under the circumstances you described, I agree that you probably were better off with extractions.  I have had no abscesses and only about 4 root canals in the last 20yrs. 

My question is:  How have you adjusted to your dentures?  Have you got bone left?  My mom and sister had a terrible time with their dentures.  I'm not anxious to entertain the thought of dentures so I'll try to be vigilant and do everything I can to maintain what I have.

Thanks for your reply.  Hope you are doing well.

Tinker

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »
Amanda,
Where do I get the xlimelts?  I've never seen them.  I will try the sugarless lemon drops.  Maybe they taste better than the sugarless hard candy. 

Thanks, Tinker

litliwlowa

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »
Tinker

I found the Xylimelts either at CVS or Walgreens.

As for sugarless hard candy, I started with cinnamon and peppermint which did nothing for me. Rheumy is the one I think that told me lemon drops - and those work for me much better. It's the sourness of them that gets the saliva flowing better than the unsour candies.

Amanda
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

P.Trish

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »
Tinkebell, I order xylimelts  from amazon.com. - the most convenient for me.

Sometimes they can be found at Rite Aid, Cvs or Walgreens in the mouthwash section. Lemon drops

and Werthers sugarless hard candy all help with dryness, but the xylimelts are the best!

I hope you are having a good weekend.
female dx'd Jan 2012, English/Drama Teacher: retired, plaquenil 400mg, aspirin 80 mg, Lisinipril 20mg,  fish oil, multi vitamins, methyl pred  pack (every 2 months) evoxac, d-mannose, biotin, gluten free
. Stroke survivor  'Have a heart that never hardens and a touch that never hurts" (Dickens)

drylady

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 06:28:12 PM »
Tinker did the dentist prescribe prescription fluoride?
33 years old. Plaquenil 200mg (2x), Evoxac 30mg (3 x).

Petal

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 07:07:26 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am another one that has bad teeth having 10 fillings done at each visit and then refilling the fillings again as the years go by.

Although I still have most of my teeth I was given the ultimatum, either go to the next level, crowns and implants, or have all them out. I went with 5 crowns, 5 veneers, and 2 implants!

It all took about 2 years to complete but I am very happy with the outcome and hope they last, so far I haven't had a cavity for 12 months (touch wood), I am on 6 monthly hygienist visits

My hygienist suggested I use a Waterpik water flosser, is shoots pulsated water through the gaps of my teeth and under the gum line, its really refreshing.

I havent been back to her since getting it so I cant report on how good of a job its doing.

Leanne
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:51:31 PM by Petal »
Plaquinal 200mg x2, Methotrexate 15mg per week, Coperin 60mg, Karvea for High BP, Folic Acid 5mg 3 times a week and lots of over the counter goodies

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 09:45:28 PM »
Tinker, I have adjusted really well to my dentures. Sometimes I even brush them like you would teeth when they are in my mouth. I can eat everything--even corn on the cob. The only thing I can't eat is soft caramel which sticks like crazy. I do try sucking it at times though cause it is so good. I have also found that eating hamburgers can be a challenge---or any sandwich bun or bread. I cut them into quarters and the problem is solved. Much easier to get that big bite without problems.

I would advise anyone with Sjogrens who is having problems with their teeth to find a dentist who "gets it" and is agreeable to pull your teeth when the time comes. I can pretty much predict that you will not be able to save your teeth in the long term. The dryness and lack of the correct bacterial balance in the mouth predisposes us to cavities and there is not much we can do to change it.

The saliva normally contains about 700 different bacteria that help with digestion and preventing cavities--who would have thought that spit was so important.

I find that my life is much more relaxed when I got over the constant stress of my teeth. I didn't have pain at first but later on started to have really strange pain that was probably some nerve pain from my weird roots. MY dentist said he had never seen roots like mine when he pulled my teeth. They looked dead but did not show up dead on x-ray. Good luck. irish

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 10:10:51 AM »
Tinker:  go ...to a new dentist.  I was lucky.  I have a friend whose daughter is a dentist.  She referred me to a Sjogren's friendly dentist who is well versed in the syndrome.  They are wonderful.  The difference is daylight and dark.  My teeth have turned from   a yellowish white to brown in just a few years.  I didn't know I had SS..nor did I know the absence of saliva gives one's mouth a breeding ground for bacteria--which attacks our teeth.  I went from asking for info on veneers to a "save my teeth" stance within two weeks.  Lo and behold, my brown teeth have become beautiful to me.  The new dentist is only interested in saving my teeth at this point in time.  I have fluoride toothpaste (purchased at the dentist) will have teeth cleaned 4 times a year, and they suggested the Sonicare AirFLoss in lieu of floss to encourage more regular flossing.  It's amazing to have a dentist emphasize what can be done for one's teeth as opposed to what has already happened to them.
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

slccom

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
I have dental floss scattered all over the house, every place that I sit down. That helps, too.

Sharon

Tinker

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I can't bear the thought of losing my teeth.

I am buying the ultrsonic cleaner, I already have floss everywhere, and I'm very conscious of not leaving sweet stuff on my teeth.

The dentist gave me another rx toothpaste, I bought the rinse, and the dentist told me I could ask the pharmacist for the rx toothpaste under the counter.

Thanks for all the tips, Tinker

ChasingAmy

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 02:46:52 PM »
I've had very good dental health for most of my life (even though I was terrible at flossing) but with losing my insurance, I hadn't been to a dentist in about two years.  When I became pregnant towards the end of 2012, I was able to visit one and oh boy!  I made a terrible decision in my haste to fix my mouth before it was too late in the pregnancy.  I had a ridiculous number of cavities (all developing with the past year.)  The dentist was terrible and ground down many of my teeth and we only got to 3/4 of my mouth.  I had a terrible abscess in my gums from where they numbed me on my last visit.  It took several months to resolve and I am terrified of going back to ANY dentist.

I have become fanatical about flossing and brushing but have residual medical issues with fluoride so I get chastised and basically told that its not my Sjogren's/SLE's fault but my own.  I tried biotene but many of their products have ingredients I'm not ok with and it hasn't helped, so I chew Peelu gum (xylitol only makes me ill and the texture is gross) but can't yet seem to slow down my teeth issues. 

Right now my gums are super sore and I'm afraid I need a root canal.  Near Philly there are naturopathic type dentists but they do not/cannot take insurance and I can't afford $300 for a consult! 

I feel everyone's pain and wish there were more specialized dentists available or that regular dentists were more educated on these problems.

LucyD

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 06:41:06 PM »
Gosh, I feel like a little whiny baby being upset because I have one molar (bottom back right #31) that has an abscess below the root tip in the jaw. A root canal was done on this tooth about 11 years ago, and I "know" it is what has been causing my gums in that area to get sore, the gland under my jaw to swell and be sore, and when I pack Glyoxide around that area, the only part of my gums that turns white, hurts and bubbles is around that tooth and a few adjoining ones.

Upon looking at x-rays last fall and because of my complaints about my gums, the dentist suspected an abscess under that same tooth and sent me to an endodontist. There was infection in and under that tooth in the jaw bone. In September he cleaned out the tooth and did another root canal. He said that now that the root canal had been done, my body would take care of the infection in the jaw bone. For about a month I have had pain around that tooth, under my jaw (swollen, hard gland) and the gland behind the curve of my jaw under my ear is sore and swollen. Have had chills, nausea and diarrhea and a DISGUSTING taste in my mouth for a month. (Sorry for the details.) This weekend it got so bad I couldn't bite on it or stand for my toothbrush or Waterpik to touch that gum. Thought it was strange that there was pain even though the tooth was "dead" with the root removed, so realized the infection must be in the bone underneath and in the gum around the tooth. Sure enough - x-ray at dentist today revealed abscess (quite large) under same tooth.

So tomorrow morning I see the endodontist. Told dentist I was ready to just have the tooth pulled. Dentist told me she would hate to have me lose that tooth because it would probably cause me to later lose the one above it.

I am thinking it is a losing battle to keep trying to salvage it. I have a feeling my health will be better with it OUT.
From reading most of your posts, I am thinking it would be best to have it pulled. You have to fight with these dentists, endodontists to get them to pull our rotten teeth!

Any suggestions?

Good luck to all of us with our teeth!!

I am very sorry for all of the trouble so many of you have had with your teeth. I have a lot of filling, four crowns and three root canals now. My mom and dad both had dentures and did great with them.

Dxs: Sjogren's - seronegative, UCTD, soft tissue joint pain, Hypothyroidism
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)

litliwlowa

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 06:03:25 AM »
@LucyD

I had one of those "problem" teeth for over 20 years, number 11 (or maybe it was number 12). I finally ended up HAVING to get it extracted, which was no easy task as it was under a permanent bridge. But it had become a constant source of infection (root extended into my sinuses, as do most of my teeth roots), and come to find out the idiot endodontist that initially did the root canal left half the nerve in it!! I find that out 15 years AFTER the fact.

I can't advise which is the wise choice for you on #31, other than to say there does come a time when trying to save a tooth becomes an expensive and risky proposition - especially if it's becoming a problematic source of infection after infection.

And no, it's not at all whining. Dental issues that seem small in comparison to someone else's can often be more serious under the radar. A seemingly single and simple dental infection if untreated can travel north to brain or south to heart.

That's why when my #11 or #12 (actually both teeth) were becoming regular sources of infection I had them yanked and the bridge resectioned.

These days, I don't mess with root canals and crowns. Costly in the long haul and in the end turns out the tooth ends up being extracted anyway a short few years after that!!