Author Topic: Cavities, cavities, all in 6 mos.  (Read 6066 times)

LucyD

Re: Cavities, cavities, all in 6 mos.
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 06:26:19 AM »
Thanks Litliwlowa,
Oh, I caved despite all of the good advice on here that has basically said - the tooth ends up having to be pulled eventually anyway!!! Endodontist took xray this morning, said he really thinks he can save tooth, clean out abscess underneath and fix everything - wants to give it one more try. Yep - to the tune of $1,000 because I am probably over my max insurance for this year (fiscal year basis). I felt like an idiot saying, no pull it, so I said okay, one more try.
I guess in a way, it is worth it because then if it re-infects, I will be on it immediately and will have complete confidence at that point to tell them to pull it with no doubts. Also, it will give him a chance to get in there and if he sees it is cracked or infection too bad below it, he will close up and tell me we have to pull it.

Another side to this - I have noticed that when I have any sort of bacterial infection going on (sinuses, teeth), my joint pain flares up badly. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks again.
LucyD
Dxs: Sjogren's - seronegative, UCTD, soft tissue joint pain, Hypothyroidism
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)

litliwlowa

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 07:46:06 AM »
I have noticed that when I have any sort of bacterial infection going on (sinuses, teeth), my joint pain flares up badly. Has anyone else noticed this?

Oh gosh YES!! Remember that an infection is also a stressor on the body. When I get sinus or tooth infections, my EVERYTHING is flaring at the same time.
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

LucyD

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:05 AM »
Thank you litliwlowa, do you think I am stupid to let him try one more time? Arrghh!
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)

litliwlowa

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 09:13:35 AM »
Thank you litliwlowa, do you think I am stupid to let him try one more time? Arrghh!

Good grief no!!

Geesh, I'd been having root canals since my late 20s early 30s. You know why? I didn't want to lose my teeth!! Well, I was young, you know? I suppose at 58 I am still "young" - at heart anyway even tho my body doesn't quite cooperate.

But after spending way too much money on a 10 tooth split permanent bridge (across the top teeth), my portion not covered by insurance was nearly 10k, then a couple of years after that fractured another molar (NOT part of the bridge), then another molar went and another molar went and so on...then the crowned teeth started going south and extractions were a mess as they had been root canaled (many many years ago) so were very fragile and shattered on extraction...

...I weighed the costs and aggravation and infections plus a factor for me is I am allergic to ALL but ONE antibiotic...

...decided it was in my best interests to stop trying to hold on to teeth as for me, the risks outweighed the benefits. Especially when I ended up with 4 extractions plus a bridge resection in 2012. Ah yes sjogrens the gift that keeps on giving...AARG

Your decision is not stupid at all. You know best your individual situation.

Sounds like you're still on the fence about which way to proceed on that tooth. It's a tough call to make. Do you have infection in that tooth currently? If so, do they have you on antibiotic? I've had endodontists in the past who refused to do root canals until the infection was cleared up. ALthough that was back when I still had a few antibiotic choices.

Tough call LucyD...make the decision you determine is best for you!!
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 09:20:36 AM »
Hi Tinker,

Get a second opinion, please.

I have always had excellent dentists:  with one exception.

We had a weird dental plan (for a very short time) we were new in the area, and I picked a dentist who was close.

A very horrible experience.  I wound up having to have the entire thing (crown) redone later, because he left a huge back margin at the base and it was near enough the front that it showed!

And that wasn't the worst.  The worst was that he was a butcher and hurt me badly.  I have gazillion crowns (well 13, plus one implant) I have had just about everything done that can be done, including root canals with posts implanted etc.  And this guy just did a simple crown and left me in horrible pain.

So, get a second opinion.

The guy may just be needing some alimony payments.

Anyway, no dentist who knows what she or he is doing would ever be rude to a patient.

Are you taking something to produce more saliva like Evoxac or Salagen?

I don't remember.

Hugs, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

LucyD

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »
Thank you again litliwlowa. I am sort of on the fence, but I have decided to let him try one more time. It's just hard to say "Pull it, period," when I have a good endodontist sitting there telling me he thinks there is a 90 percent chance he can successfully save this tooth. (How do they define "successfully" and what do they consider "save"?)  ;) If it starts getting infected after that, then I will be completely confident and make them pull it. Yes, has abscess under root in jaw. They put me on penicillin yesterday. It must be helping already - inflammation less and pain not as bad. Have appointment at 9 am tomorrow with endodontist to have it redone. Ugh! Because it is only one tooth right now - decided to give it one more try. But in my heart of hearts, I have this gut feeling that it is not good to leave a dead tooth in our jaw bone - can harbor so many bacteria in microscopic chambers.

Good luck to you Tinker.

LucyD

Tinker

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 02:25:46 PM »
Carolina, I see my rheummy on the 10th and will ask for this script. 

Thanks everyone, for your comments.

LucyD

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
Hi Tinker,
I have developed more cavities recently since being diagnosed with Sjogren's and I dread my next check-up.
Wanted to let you know that my dentist has been very kind to me knowing what Sjogren's can do to our teeth.
And I agree with others here who have suggested you deserve to be understood and treated with respect and kindness.
Please find a dentist who is understanding, knowledgeable about Sjogren's, and kind to you. You deserve it.
I am sorry - I did not mean to hijack your post thread, but I just realized I sort of did with my own little root canal abscess crisis. Very sorry. Will be more aware of that in the future.
Good luck.
LucyD

lmstewa62

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 05:53:38 PM »
I've had problems, but it's really improved since I have been on evoxac and always drinking with a straw!! Just thought I'd mention what helped me..

Tinker

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »
Lucy:  no way did you hijack my thread.  I value your comments so have no fear!

Imstewa:  how did the straw make a difference?  I'm guessing it keeps sweet drinks off your teeth?  Thx for your reply.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »
I didn't read every single post on this thread, but I did want to point out that root canals very frequently result in abscesses and abscesses can result in bone infection which is known as osteomyelitis. Osteomyelitis can be a very dangerous infection to have. Any infection of the bone is very hard to clear up as there is not the good blood supply to deliver the antibiotics like in soft tissues. Also, these days so many of the bacteria are resistant to bacteria.

Also, infection in the areas of the teeth can also spread to the sinuses and to the brain so teeth and infection are not to be taken lightly. People with Sjogrens and other autoimmune disease are also higher risk for infections plus people with AID are also at higher risk for immune disorders. Immune disorders mean that ones body can't fight off infections due to lower white counts. I was found to have low t-cells and that is why I was a walking petrie dish in my mouth and no dentist ever caught on to the fact. Most of them were too interested in my money.

Dono't mean to scare you folks but the others are right. When the teeth start to show wear and tear it just gets worse. I was really good about taking care of my teeth and my first tooth was pulled when I was about24 years old. AFter going through the whole shooting match I do not consider it worth the battle, suffering and expense to save my teeth. The last 10 years were really a nightmare when I think back. When I looked at my calendar the last year prior to getting the last of my teeth pulled,I was astounded at the number of trips to the dentist each month. I had gotten so used to those trips that I just considered them normal. Sheeesh. Don't let your vanity cause you to suffer and spend all your money. There is a life with dentures.

Just to let you know, I just had my 3rd set of dentures made. My first ones, or temporary ones were great but worse out after having them lined and 5 years. The second set never did fit all that well, but were comfortable enough and I could eat anything. I am an ice chewer and I am hard on dentures. I knew that I had better get another set to have around for good and for when I wasn't chewing ice. I went to the same dentist and he knew I wasn't happy with the last pair. He had me come in 3 times to be measured for the new set. Got the new set and he sanded here and there and sent me home with them. I was to come back in a week and have any other spots sanded. Got that done, put them in and went home and never had to go back.

I do have to add a little denture cream to a couple of areas on both the upper and lower dentures but otherwise they are just awesome. Do not be afraid to ask friends about dentists and their experience in getting dentures. You deserve to have a good fit and to get your moneys worth. Good luck. irrish

Tinker

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »
Thanks, Irish, for adding your perspective from the denture side of things. 

I'm going to get second opinion soon and if I like the new dentist, I'll have him fill.  I have good dental insurance.  But since I have many crowns, there isn't much they can do to save them if they start failing.

It's good to keep all this in perspective.  Infections, bone loss, LIFE after dentures.

I don't want 'em, but if this continues, I'll  be forced to face pulling the molars.  The front teeth, upper and lower, have no cavities.  Yet.

Thanks again to everyone for adding your info.

I'm a flossin' fool, brushin' fool, rinsing fool.  I am doing everything possible to save these teeth.  If this does no good, I must consider the alternatives.