Author Topic: Ladies - any "Silver Foxes" among us?  (Read 10360 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Ladies - any "Silver Foxes" among us?
« on: January 23, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
Okay - we all know that life is ever changing and always evolving from one phase to another in our lives.

I am a Baby Boomer of the 50's.

Time marches on.

I'm getting to the point I am tired of spending money on coloring my hair and seriously contemplating letting my hair follow Nature's path and become a Silver Fox.

A silver fox can have many different "shades" of hair - from gray, silver or white.

My hair tends to lean towards the white color.  I have more white hair on my head than my mother EVER did and she NEVER colored her hair.

My hair, I'm guessing, would look similar to photos I've seen of actress, Helen Mirren, with her white hair.  My hair is blonde'ish right now, so it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb as my hair transitions.

Just curious how many others have taken the plunge and let their hair go au naturel?  How long did it take?  Are you happy with it?

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

litliwlowa

Re: Ladies - any "Silver Foxes" among us?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:49:45 PM »
I stopped colouring my hair around 2006 and have been growing it out for the past lemme think since 2009.

Not a silver, white or gray fox yet...my hair is mostly sort of medium auburn/brown with white streaks on the part that grows around my face - starting to get some salt & pepper showing up elsewhere, but I really expected to be more white/gray/silver at my age than I am...lol

Baby boomer myself - 1955.

I love it au naturelle - lengthwise it's now below middle of my back, keeps my neck warm in winter (a definite PLUS), baby fine enough to put it up in summer. Or braid it if I feel like something different

Wash and wear hair rocks!!

No fuss no muss, no aggravating chemicals (I have MCS) from colour, NO MORE PERMS!! (oh those were the only way I could have shorter hair and still look "professional" ugh).

I get it slightly  trimmed about twice a year. Letting it grow as long as it will grow. I miss my very long hair from back in the day. Now, if I could find REAL moccasins (for my feet not my head!) - that would be like having the ultimate chocolate treat!!

SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:33:49 AM »
I am 71..and my hair didn't turn gray until I was about 67 or 68.  I did have some gray hair before...but my hair looked frosted.  After turning almost completely grey in less than a year, I colored it for about a year.  It was too much trouble.  I was already old.  Why bother.  My friends are about half and half on coloring their hair.  The ones who color their hair DO look younger. 
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Velcro

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 08:34:13 AM »
I'm not considered an official "baby boomer", but I still have this issue.  By the time I was 30, my roots were half and half.  My Mother was completely gray by the time she was 40, but not the pretty white.  Hers was the yellow gray so she colored it until she hit her 70's and now it's a beautiful silvery white. 

My hairdresser tells me now that I am about 75% gray (I'm mid 40's).  My natural color is dark, so literally my roots start showing 3 weeks after I get color.  We have had to switch over and start putting a lot of blondish highlights in to camouflage the gray for longer.  I still go every 5-6 weeks.  For me right now, I wish I could get rid of the expense but I will admit, I'm still vain enough to not want to go gray/white yet, plus my hair is halfway down my back and I know in order to do it, I would need to get it cut really short and start over again.

I have already said, that probably in another 10 years, I'll be biting the bullet and doing it.  So that would put me around the age you guys are at now and probably completely gray by then.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »
Interesting topic.

I am 72 in March, early March even!

I only became a blonde at 65.  I am a blonde at heart I've found, so I only found my heart late in life.

I am like my mother in that even at 59, when she died, she had dark hair, and there WAS grey but it didn't show.

However, if all the women who color their hair stopped we would see an ocean of grey hair everywhere we go.

AND, much as I hate to say it, grey hair looks old.  You can say silver fox all you want, but grey hair looks older than not grey hair.  I've seen it both ways on lots of people and when they go back to a color after going natural, they look younger.

It is our nature to make snap judgments about what we see.  We can't help it.  And we are socialized to see grey as older.

AND, when they studied the "Survivor" episodes to determine what, if any, biases or prejudices show up on research, the found one outstanding result:

THE OLDEST MEMBERS OF THE SURVIVOR GROUPS WERE ALWAYS VOTED OFF FIRST.

Gay, straight, female, male, ethnic, everyone voted first against the oldest members.

OLD is the one group we all hope to join, and yet it is the universally 'disliked' group.

We all want to grow old, and everyone has biases against older people.  Trust me.

So, I'm still thinking of finding out what my natural color looks like.

But it isn't blonde, that's for sure.  By now my hair stylist doesn't need to 'high light and low light' my hair since the pure white and dark natural hair take the blonde differently, so she just uses one color.

That is cheaper than the texturing coloring she was doing.

I wear my hair short, so it has to be cut often to maintain the shape that makes it look like I want.

So I will see her every 5 weeks, no matter whether or not she colors my hair.

I recently stopped having acrylic nails, and have found my natural nails (which are poorly shaped and very weak) again.  And I've accepted them.

So perhaps I will accept my natural color in hair.

I rather doubt it, but I'm thinking of giving it a shot.  Perhaps starting in the summer when I wear it even shorter and it gets sun bleached.

Stay tuned!

It's all a journey, and I like changing things up, since I'm stuck with stuff I cannot change for sure.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

aussie mum

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:51:31 PM »
I'm 50 and decided to go with the flow regarding my hair colour. I have naturally curly/wavy hair and have an interesting "Cruella De Ville" patch at the front.

Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

slccom

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
I have never and will never color my hair. If you do, and suddenly stop, you look a LOT older. So I just let my silver come on into the brown. I like it. Living long enough to get gray hair is a privilege that not everybody has.

Saved a huge pile of money, too.

Sharon

Cassi307

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 06:01:07 AM »
I am 62 and stopped coloring my hair many years ago. I have dark hair with gray around the edges. I keep it short and my stylist said it looks like highlights. In the beginning my now 16 yr old son was ashamed of my gray hair. He used to beg me to color it because people would think I was his grandmother. He has also adjusted to my natural look.

For me it's a badge of survival. I am not a kid anymore and have been through a lot. I accept who I am. I am just lucky enough to have earned my "highlights".
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis, tremors, macular degeneration. Meds:  cardizem cd, low dose Prednisone, Rituxan, Preservision, calcium with d

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 09:21:57 AM »
Hi  :)

I have no intention of ever coloring my hair - unless I go for pink or purple - but my hair is steadfastly refusing to go grey. It is the same dull mosy brown colour it has always been.

I'm a member of a local 'Silver Programme' - music for the mature as it were. Most of the others ARE silver foxes and I would be more than happy to join them!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

slccom

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
I've seen some lovely greens, Scottie...

Sharon

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 09:48:20 PM »
I still color my own hair, but find I wait longer and longer to do it. Each time, I think more and more of going with my natural part gray/part dark brown hair until it is all gray or white.

My husband is younger than me so that is the only reason I haven't. lol..

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

jpd54

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »
 I am turning 60 in August.  I refuse to color my hair.  I have seen so many beautiful women with their gray hair.  My is coming in now but looks frosted. 

Hang in there baby boomers!!!

Jennifer
SJS, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, GERD, Rosacea, TMJ

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Lisinopril / Hydrochlorothiazide, Linzess, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren

Katybarstool

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »
I'm a baby boomer too - 1957, and I colour my hair. I used to benaturally a strawberry blonde/sandy colour and my hair is now coloured slightly lighter than it should be. I have considered not having highlights, but I always lose my nerve. However, I had my hair cut short recently, so it might be a better time to see what my natural colour would be.

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »
Just curious for those who have let their hair follow nature's course and turn gray, silver or white - how long did it take for the whole process?  Six months, a year, or longer?

My hair in below my shoulders and I know it will take some time for the whole head to be the same color.

When I looked in the mirror yesterday, I swear the white part had grown 4 inches overnight!!   :o

Does stress in ones life make the process go faster?

Our son graduates from high school in May.  Hubby and I are about 5 - 10 yrs. older than the vast majority of senior parents and I don't want to "embarrass" our son having his white haired / multi-colored hair mom at graduation.  I don't like having my picture taken - but, on such an occasion, there WILL be pictures taken.  Sigh.

What to do, what to do?!   :-\

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

SjoGirl

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »
I'm in the same age bracket, but had my hair died to match my natural color which is now a medium brown (I was a tow head much of my life). I was thinking about getting highlights, but everyone loves it the way it is.

What's been the most interesting is that my hair is starting to get wavy if not curly as I age. It used to be straight as a board. Menopause does all sorts of interesting things to our bodies doesn't it?
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.