Author Topic: Ladies - any "Silver Foxes" among us?  (Read 10100 times)

Velcro

Re: Ladies - any "Silver Foxes" among us?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »
1.) No, you can't color your hair gray. Hair that is turning white (which is what gray hair is), is actually losing all of its pigment. When you take color out (highlighting/bleaching), you can only get it to a very pale blond. This pale blond can look platinum on someone who has all platinum hair, because you'll use a violet based toner to counteract the little bit of yellow that's left. However, when that it up against brown (or even blond), it still looks yellowish. Also, it's very difficult to get color treated hair to lighten all the way to that platinum color.

Well thanks for busting my bubble!  :)

slccom

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
Thanks for the Hair Coloring 101 info! That makes me even gladder that I never did color mine. However, that said, I didn't need to look "youthful" for the work world!

Sharon

Ripvanann

• "A DESIRE FULFILLED IS A TREE OF LIFE"
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »
You can do it Velcro! The highlights work fairly well. My mom has very long hair with long layers. It did take almost 2 years to grow it out, but she wears it up all of the time. You can do a lot of tricks like that. Let's put it this way, in the 21 years that I was actively doing hair, I had a lot of people grow out their gray hair. Not one of them went back. Not one! The most I did was those low lights and sometimes we'd put a clear color-shine on.

There's only one company that I'm aware of today (still, after all of these years) who makes a color-shine that doesn't "lift" the natural color a bit. It's Sebastian Colorshines (apropos). I talked everyone into them, but they don't work on some people. Well, they'll work, but only for a couple of weeks and at $60 (give or take, depending on where you live) a pop... No rhyme or reason for them not working on some. It's all natural stuff and I think it may have to do with the chemical composition of some people. They never took on my hair. The people they work on though, BEAUTIFUL! They also make "clear color" to put over your natural or color treated hair, just to add depth and shine.

Anyway, do it! ;-)

Sharon, that's me too. I'm lucky to shower regularly at this point....
Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, RA, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu, Citracal D & Pain Meds, Compazine, phenergan, Iberogast.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
Thanks Andrea for your input.  I just knew there had to be somebody here in our membership who was a hair stylist.   :D

I looked at my calendar and I last had my hair colored on Nov. 11th - 12 wks. ago today.  Around my face, my hair is white probably 1/3 of the way from the roots to the ends.

This weekend my husband came over to me at the computer and looked at my hair and said, "my, my aren't we getting white" . . . and I said, "it's because of you boys!!!"

In the past, when I had my hair colored usually by the next day, it was darker than the day before.  This time, it didn't do that.  It never darkened.  I think it's getting harder and harder for my hair to hold the color.

Another reason to quit fighting Mother Nature and let it take its natural course.

So far, in my opinion, it doesn't look too bad.  If it does, nobody has said anything.   ;)

Also, lately my hair hasn't been holding a curl either - when in the past it held a curl really well.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Velcro

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 06:57:46 AM »
I will eventually.  I'm not going to lie.  Right now, I'm still to vain to do it!

sassygal

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »
Going natural sounds enticing... no more lengthy coloring appointments, no roots showing, etc.
Have to say I am with Velcro on this one. Still just a little too vain.

Last time I was at the hair salon I was not feeling well at all and was tired of having to deal with my hair, so I told the stylist to cut off 3-4 inches.

When I came home I asked my husband what he thought of the new cut. His reply : "you know how I liked your hair best was how you had it when we got married. " (20 yrs. ago)

My reply : "You know, I liked how you had your hair the best when we got married too!"( He had a full head of thick wavy brown hair. Now, gray hair on the sides, bald on top and going down the back with a few wild sprigs interspersed in the bald spots. )

His reply: "Point taken!"

What the heck is it with men that they expect their wives to remain trim and youthful as THEY age, go gray, go bald, get the belly, etc.?

litliwlowa

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »
What the heck is it with men that they expect their wives to remain trim and youthful as THEY age, go gray, go bald, get the belly, etc.?

They're MEN. hahahahahaha Seriously tho, no idea what it is with men that some expect their wives to in effect NOT age. Must be a guy thing I suppose.

I won't ever colour or perm my hair again. Between MCS and every time they wash/rinse my hair in those grossly uncomfortable sinks which gets my c-spine to flaring for weeks afterward, I am better off au naturelle.

Besides, I like wash & wear hair. No fuss no muss. No curlers or curling irons - phew!! I lost some of my dexterity over the years also, so no more having to explain "NO that is NOT a hickey on my neck- my hand slipped using the curling iron and I burned myself yet again."

SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

Velcro

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »

Besides, I like wash & wear hair. No fuss no muss. No curlers or curling irons - phew!! I lost some of my dexterity over the years also, so no more having to explain "NO that is NOT a hickey on my neck- my hand slipped using the curling iron and I burned myself yet again."

I've used that excuse before too!  ;)

slccom

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 12:39:24 PM »
Wonderful invention: hair dryer that is round with bristles. That is my magic tool. They are getting hard to find, so I have three now. A good one is Jirbear hot air brush. It costs about $40 at Sally Beauty Supply. Conair is available at Walmart, but isn't nearly the quality.

Sharon

quietdynamics

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »
I have two dominate white streaks over the arches of my eyesbrows...

Right one started when my son was in later teens..so I would point and tell him "he" was the cause!

Left one started later ...daughter in later teen ..I said you are not so bad...your stripe is not as wide...LOL

When they started I "Played" with them by painting on some wash out hair color so they would look like lighter toned streaks...my hair had red highlights...my children red heads. Mine dark brown with red-highlights.

Now I do the reverse sometimes...I have the streaks natural white ...and to make them "pop" i overcolor the ones that are starting now at the top..to the rest of my hair color, ..LOL  And I use the semi-color to overcolor the stray white eyebrow hairs as well..can only pluck so many and eyebrow pencils I feather.

So depending on who you talk to you ..
I look like Cruella De Ville with two streaks
or
a Shitzu??

But,it looks great when I do a modified messy French Twist. (warp a coated rubber band to hold hair.. because my right arm is weak... then twist and secure. ) 
I lost a lot of hair this last year...sigh. So no more french braid for now.  And find NOT using a hair blower and applying Nexxus Versastyler then going to bed with clipped up...gives volume.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Velcro

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »
Ah!  I have those dang white eyebrows show up too!  And why are they three times as thick as my normal ones....those suckers hurt to pluck!

litliwlowa

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2014, 11:02:02 AM »
Ah!  I have those dang white eyebrows show up too!  And why are they three times as thick as my normal ones....those suckers hurt to pluck!
when you have your hair coloured? Have the stylist dab some of that colour on your eyebrows. ;) A good stylist should be able to handle that quite well.
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

slccom

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 11:29:58 AM »
Or use mascara on the white hairs. You can  use an old one you were going to throw away since it isn't near your eyes.

So far I just have one white hair in my eyebrows that I can pluck. When that changes, I have mascara.

Sharon

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 02:29:04 PM »
I think I would like my hair all gray if I had it cut very short, but I don't think my husband wants me with the very short hair. Even colored in the past I have had the very short hair cut. I liked it, because it was wash and wear.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

AnaGamble

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »
One of the most beautiful people I know is an x-therapist of mine who has something like 80-90cm's worth of thick grey hair, she looks like a gorgeous force of nature instead of going for the "colour helmet" that she could have chosen.
Think knowing her made me feel like it is okay to have long grey/silver/white hair no matter what anyone else says or thinks. =^_^=