Author Topic: 2014 - Juggling Life Club (formerly New Leaf Club)  (Read 28173 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: 2014 - Juggling Life Club (formerly New Leaf Club)
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »
So I made myself buy two more this weekend and then threw out about 15 of the bad ones last night.

Wow, 15 bras (well, actually you had 19, counting the 4 "good" ones you now have) - that's a lot of bras!  I have 4 - I'm so boring, I only have two colors - white and toffee.  I know some people have all different colors.

Today, I crossed off something I've had on my "to do" list for a while. We currently get the newspaper delivered four days a week.  We used to only get the Sat. & Sun. paper and they called and added the Thurs. & Fri. for a cheaper rate than just the Sat. & Sun.  I know, strange.  Well, having all these newspapers, plus the two local ones that come free in the mail, I am being buried by newspapers!!!  We just keep piling them up, and never getting around to reading them.  So, today I called the newspaper and cancelled all the papers except the Sunday paper.  The lady says, "you have a great price for the 4 day delivery, and having only the Sunday delivery will cost more" - I told her, "I know, I don't care, as the papers weren't getting read and only causing paper clutter".

Yay, this will help tremendously with all the paper clutter laying around!   :)

Another project I took care of today was I had two almost empty bottles of hand lotion that I needed to consolidate and throw away one of the bottles.  Neither bottle would pump any more, but there was still quite a bit of lotion in the bottom of the bottles. I tried emptying one into the other, but that didn't work as the lotion was too thick to run into the other bottle.  So, I took a knife and cut the one bottle in half so I could scoop the lotion out and manually put it in the other bottle.  There ended up being quite a bit of lotion in the bottle that I couldn't have gotten otherwise, and I didn't want to throw away the lotion.  ( I didn't have a "spatty" as seen on the TV show, Shark Tank. It's a long, skinny spatula that can reach down into bottles such as my lotion bottle to get all the product your pump can't reach.)

So, I got rid of one bottle and can now use one bottle.   :)

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Carebear

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
I feel the need to fess up.  I had good intensions, but have not even touched my file cabinet.  I suppose it's no surprise considering I was away for a while and have much to catch up on.  And this month I have eight medical appointments to prepare for, of which four are this week.

So I admit that I was unrealistic.  I will begin my file cabinet organizing next week instead.

That feels better.  And I too love the genius of the 15 minute rule.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Velcro

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »
So far, it's working for me and really, the 15 minutes don't seem to bad and don't wear me out.  Tonight is swimsuit, cover-ups, and leggings drawer...Lol.  I'm going to break down and get rid of the swim suits that I've been holding onto that I just know I will be able to wear again if I lose 20 lbs!

Bucky, I was surprised I had that many, but then again, I should have thrown many of them away two-three years ago.  I would stuff them to the back of the drawer, even though the wire was gone doing what Sharon said, "Well I can wear it working in the garden."  Psssshhh....like that ever happened.  I actually had more than that.  I threw away 15 but I kept my 4 good ones, plus 2 strapless, 2 sports bras and 2 other black ones.  I did buy the expensive ones in neutrals and whites.  I'm telling you...I'm a hoarder of things as long as I can stuff it somewhere you can't see.  :)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 06:54:52 PM »
I'm telling you...I'm a hoarder of things as long as I can stuff it somewhere you can't see.  :)

I had to laugh when you said above "as long as I can stuff it somewhere you can't see".  On the few occasions when someone would be stopping at the house soon, we have been known to quick grab a box or bag and put things in it and put it in the car out in the garage out of sight!   ::)

I wish it was that easy!

I really wish our house had more closet / storage space - I just don't have room to put things.  I not only have my immediate families things in the house, we've also taken in things that belonged to my late MIL, and my late parents. 

It's other peoples stuff that adds to the house clutter.  I don't feel right calling quilts my MIL made or the quilts I had made as memory quilts out of my late mother's clothes as "clutter".  But, I think you know what I mean.  I just don't have extra room to store or display them.  I won't put them in our basement and we don't have an attic, so they have to fit "somewhere" on the main floor of the house.

In fact, I have three boxes (each about the size of a computer paper box) sitting in the living room that have been in the same spot since I brought them home from my parents house in July after Dad's funeral.  I just don't know where to put them.  Several of the boxes are full of photo albums.  I need to take them out of the albums they are in now - the kind that had the plastic that peels and sticks.  I'm not sure I can EVEN get some of the pictures out as they have been in there for over 40 years and might tear when I try to peel them out of the album.

I have so many other projects I NEED to be working on, I will just have to add the photo albums at another time when I have the time to sit down and go through all of them.

Here's a question for y'all.  Do you have any ideas on how I would get the musty smell out of some things I brought back from my parents house?  (Some of these photo albums have that musty smell too - which is another reason I don't want to put them in a closet to stink everything else up.)

As we were cleaning out my parents house to sell we had to get rid of a lot of stuff up in the attic (they had a nice big, walk in attic) because of the musty smell and all the sneezing we were doing.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

genko_b

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 11:48:01 PM »
The only thing I know to get the musty smell out is to air things out in the sun. That will have to wait a while!

Photos are most difficult. When we went through the photos at my parents' home, my daughter scanned in to her computer the ones we wanted to preserve. That was after I went through literally an entire room full of boxes of photos going way back to the 19th century. It took days. We only saved ones where we could identify people for certain, and we only kept the best ones of each person. My daughter made an electronic file of photos to give to each surviving family member, and we got rid of the hard copies. Phew.

The other thing we did was to save only things we would actually use, and we use them, even if they break in the process. We sold a lot at auction, and so far haven't missed any of it. Amazing how you can move on when you do that.

Take care,

Genko

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 01:36:44 AM »
I finished a small project I was working on yesterday, and today I have most of another small project I hope to complete today, and get both sent off in the mail later today.

I hope today to get up a couple of boxes in our bigger bedroom to take out, and put in the trash.

My dad is back home now from the nursing home for rehabilitation. He is so happy to be home. I want to see him today, and I have a new pretty calendar to take to him.

I bought some apples today, to have something healthy to eat. I know apples have so many good things in them for us.

I need to get some clothes hung up today, and do some laundry. I hope I get them both done.

susanep :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:38:52 AM by susanep »
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Velcro

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 07:59:40 AM »
Ha ha Bucky!  That's me!  If you walk in my house, you will see a neat, orderly house.  Hardly any clutter and nothing really sitting around.  Just don't open a drawer, closet or cabinet!  Oh, and if you open my Tupperware cabinet, you're taking your life into your own hands.

That's honestly where my mental block comes in.  If I can fit it in a drawer or cabinet, I'll keep it.  I'm having to force myself to start going through those and get rid of things.

Katybarstool

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »
Velcro and Bucky

You made me laugh when you mentioned hiding things in your car and cupbaords. I have done both and almost had heart failure when a little boy who was viewing our house recently with his parents pulled open a wardrobe door. I held my breath, as I half expected the stuff to fall out and kill him. Thank goodness he didn't pick the worst wardrobe to open - and he survived!

I've not done very much this week, but my mum is not well so, between working and visiting her, I've not had much time. I will try to sort some paperwork tomorrow.

Kathyx   

Velcro

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 11:50:41 AM »
I didn't do well this weekend either.  I ended up signing up for a photography class and working on a present for hubs for Valentines, so those took priority.

Katybarstool

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »
I had mum over for the weekend, so only managed to sort a little paper work. But I'm pleased to have done it

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »
Another week - another opportunity to "juggle life".   ;)

Today, I got quite a bit accomplished on my day off from my job.

*  Gathered up five bags (so far) of newspapers that will go to the recycle bin in town.

*  Washed blankets.

*   Threw out some stale cereal and old crackers for the birds

*   Cut up four small pumpkins I've had sitting on the dining room table from my fall decorations - I threw these outside for the squirrels and deer.

*   Gathered up some old phone books that will go to the recycle bin in town too.

I still have a big pile of newspapers to bag up that has been sitting next to the couch for quite some time.  I hope to get this done this week.

My husband even noticed when he got home from work that a bunch of the newspapers had been cleaned up.  :)

Now to sort through and throw out the tons of college pamphlets, postcards, and literature that has been bombarding the house since August.  I think every college in the U.S. has sent us something!   ::)

I learned something today while sorting through all these newspapers - besides the obvious, that there were WAY too many newspapers cluttering up the kitchen counter and floor in the living room.  A picture caught my eye on the front page of one of the papers.  I thought, hmmm, I know that lady!  I read the article and then understood the bracelet I see this lady wear on her right arm.  I've noticed this bracelet ever since I met her a couple months back and was always going to ask her about it.  I could see that her bracelet had writing on it.  Now, after reading this article, I know what that bracelet is about. 

The article talked about "Gold Star Mothers and families" - which are families that have lost a loved one in war.  This ladies son was killed in 2008 while serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom.  The bracelet she wears is to honor her son.

Thank you, Phillip, for your service to your country.  Even though I have never met you, I will remember you and the sacrifice you made each time I see your mom and her bracelet.

Bucky

genko_b

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 11:47:09 PM »
Bucky, I'm exhausted just reading what you did! I had plans to work outside over the weekend and those got blown away by a major storm and the Seahawks playoff game. So yesterday I spent much of the day trimming in the front yard. I'll do some more tomorrow. There is no end of what can be done. I broke down so many cardboard boxes for recycling but it didn't make a dent in the pile in the garage.

I think it is important to just do what we can, celebrate our successes, but not set the bar so high we are bound to fail. Better to chip away at it than to give up altogether.

Genko

Velcro

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
I took my first photography class last night....yeah...I know...nothing to do with de-cluttering but something I've always wanted to do, so I didn't get anything done last night!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
I took my first photography class last night....yeah...I know...nothing to do with de-cluttering but something I've always wanted to do, so I didn't get anything done last night!

Velcro - life is NOT all about work - we've got to have some "play time" too!   :D  Good for you!  Enjoy!

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 01:10:28 PM »
Today, I've been sorting through some of the accumulated mail and junk that comes in the mail and throwing a bunch of it out, and making piles (sigh, I always have piles) of the bills, information, etc., that I want to keep, plus the pile of things to shred.

I also had to hunt down our 2012 tax papers as we need to submit some info for sons college stuff.  Thankfully, it didn't take too long to find it.  In years past, I could go right to it, but I have so many years tax returns in this one spot that it was full, so, unfortunately, the last three years have been randomly put here and there.  I checked "there", it wasn't there . . . checked another "there", nope not there either.  Hmmmm, where is it?  Thankfully, the third place I looked I found them.   :)

Another part of "juggling life" is passing the torch on to someone else.  In years past, I have made out sheets of paper showing the different job responsibilities each of the family members does.  Husbands has three, maybe four items listed.  Son has three, maybe four items listed.  Mom's list has 15 items.  Hmmmm, something just doesn't seem fair!

So, with these college forms due NOW - I turned the reigns over to hubby.  I told him last night, "I can't add one more thing to my list - the college forms, etc., are up to you & son to get done and submitted."  Since I rounded up the tax papers, ACT score, and State Scholar letter with ID - the rest is up to them.  Sigh!  (I just hope they get it right!!)   ;)

There comes a point where you just have to say . . . "hey, I can't do it all!".  Although, I guess I have conditioned them to think that, because I HAVE always done it all.

I don't want to have to spend any "free" time I might have always working around the house, running errands, calling here and calling there, etc.  Some times I just want to "chill" and do nothing.  I've been very busy with "life" the last seven months and it's only going to get busier this year and I need to pass the baton onto other people.

Okay, enough about that . . . gonna get out a banker box and start making file folders for some "piles" and get them off the table.  Yay!!

Bucky