Author Topic: hoarse voice after cold virus  (Read 3771 times)

fadoozle

hoarse voice after cold virus
« on: February 18, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »
I came down with a cold about two weeks ago that seemed to go away after two days. Shortly after that I got this strange pain in my throat, and two days later I woke up with laryngitis and what appears to be a sinus infection. I started Amoxicillin yesterday and my throat and sinuses feel much better, but the hoarseness persists and seems to be getting worse.

I do not have an official diagnosis of Sjogrens but have experienced dry eyes since 2011 and dry mouth on and off. I had a Schirmer's test that came back normal in the fall of 2012 (diagnosis was evaporative dry eye) and have seen two rheumatologists, both of whom said that my bloodwork is normal and that I do not have Sjogrens. I have also experienced hair loss, night sweats, vaginal dryness, GERD, and IBS. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis when I was 20 (I'm now 43).

Before I got this cold my voice was completely normal; now I haven't been able talk well for going on eight days with no end in sight. My mouth is extremely dry and so is my throat.

I am petrified that my voice will sound like this forever. I have two children whom I homeschool and I also work part-time as a teacher trainer.

I have experienced a few flares of symptoms on and off for the past three years but they've always leveled off and I've felt a return to "normal" such that I thought, "maybe I don't have Sjogrens after all". All this past fall I was under extreme stress and felt totally fine. This thing with my voice has never happened to me before.

My husband, who is a nurse, doesn't believe in the Sjogrens diagnosis and thinks that everything will clear up and that most of what I'm experiencing is due to my issues with anxiety. It's true that I have struggled with anxiety and hypochondria my whole life. I feel like I know the difference between hypochondria and real symptoms, though, and I find myself in a "girl who cried wolf" position when it comes to figuring out whether I have Sjogrens or not.

I made an appointment with an ENT for next Tuesday and am contemplating trying to get in to see yet another rheumatologist. I am completely obsessing over my symptoms and finding it hard to be fully present with my kids and to do work that I need to do.

I have read through this forum many times and find it such a source of comfort and information. I could use some of both right about now.

finallyadx

Re: hoarse voice after cold virus
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:04:16 PM »
Fadoozle - so very sorry to hear your struggles.  Welcome to the board - you will find supportive and information here amongst the members.  On some of my darkest days since being diagnosed last january I have found great comfort here. 

You may want to give your hoarseness a few more days to see if there is just some irritation from the sinus infection and some drainage that you may not even be aware of happening at night.  I have chronic sinus infections and my voice is hoarse off and on...this has happened frequently over the last few years.  Making an appointment to see an ENT is an absolute must for you since your bloodwork came back negative and you continue to have symptoms.  An ENT will be able to determine what is going on with your sinuses, your throat and may be able to tell based on results of the exam if he/she feels you have sjogrens.  You will find from other members as they post a reply that not everyone with sjogrens tests positive...I guess in that sense I was fortunate - my bloodwork came back positive and I started treatment shortly thereafter.  Some rheumatologists will treat based on symptoms but not all are willing to do this.  Sometimes also (it is my understanding not my experience, and I could be wrong) that you may not test positive now for sjogrens but in time you may.

I too suffer from anxiety but have not had a hoarse voice as a result.  I am not saying that this not something that can or cannot occur with anxiety, I truly do not know that, but I believe my hoarseness is caused from sjogrens (as does my rheumatologist) as well as my recurrent sinus issues.

I am sorry to hear that your husband is not supportive of you and your attempt to find an answer to something that is genuinely troubling you.  I hope he comes around in time to support you and understand your need for his love and support.

In the meantime, keep the appointment with the ENT and keep us posted.  Talk with the ENT about your symptoms/issues and ask whether he/she feels you may have sjogrens but do not be discouraged with the answer.  I believe that sjogrens is often misunderstood, misdiagnosed and phoo phooed too often. 

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »
Hi Fadoozle,
     I am a newbie...but have noticed lots of undiagnosed members.  I don't understand the "eligibility" test (  ;)  ) but do know many have reported positive test results then negative test results.  What I DO know is your voice.  I am a retired speech therapist.  First the cold, then the overuse of your vocal folds..then the dryness.  Unfortunate that you homeschool AND work.  Why?  What you require is complete vocal rest.  Since that isn't possible, save your voice as much as possible.  Give your children written assignments.  Limit any talking during their school time for a few days.  Use your voice for your teaching.  THEN...after hours...turn it off.  Completely off.  Give your vocal cords a chance to heal.  Drink sips of water.  Keep the area lubricated, not flooded.

Good luck.  Depending on the amount of vocal abuse your cords have received is the answer to how long you will have to keep this up.  Start with 3 days.  Anyone can do anything for 72 hours.  If they are better, you will know you are on track!  Go for another 3 days...etc, etc.  You would have to google vocal cords/folds to see how often (and hard) they hit to produce sound.  We take them for granted.  During my onset of SjS (undiagnosed you understand) my hoarseness was daily.  Because I am old and widowed, after work I would not speak again.  And...I just thought I was hoarse.  Knew nothing of mouth dryness...just thought I was thirsty.  And as to drinking on the job, in over 40 years, I've never met a speech therapist who didn't drank a lot of water. 
   Take care..and keep quiet!!   :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:31:07 PM by cccourt1942 »
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

fadoozle

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:23:11 PM »
Thank you for that great advice, finallyadx and ccourt1942.

Did your hoarseness ever go away? I guess what I'm asking is, if I get enough "vocal rest" is there a chance my voice will go back to normal, or is the hoarseness the new normal if my mouth and throat feel dry? Does it ebb and flow like other symptoms do? For example, I was plagued by horrible reflux/IBS in December and most of January but don't feel any of those symptoms right now.

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »
Oh geez...I wish I could tell you.  Remember, I am new to this SjS stuff too. 

IF...IF it were only the tail end of the cold, yes the hoarseness would go away.  With the SjS,...well..I don't know.  I CAN describe my voice.

If my phone rings early in the morning I croak.  I should say I STILL croak even on pilocarpine.  I drink water in tiny sips as I talk to people on the phone so my vocal folds stay moist. This doesn't happen if I start talking later in the a.m. by one or two hours.   When I do therapy, I will be hoarse by the end of the day.  I would say I am able to work without hoarseness the next day about 50% of the time.  Because I have done contract work since I retired, I try to arrange sessions with a day's rest in between.  I had some time to think about this because one of the reasons I retired when I did was my voice was so tired and weak each day.  Of course, I hadn't a clue as to what was happening.  I thought my vocal folds were thinner, older and quite frankly, worn out.  Until 3 or 4 years ago I had chronic sinus infections.  They stopped abruptly.  Of course, that is when almost everything was drier...and if you sleep with your mouth open even part of the night, your vocal folds dry out as well.  The only difference is they aren't vibrating. They are "at rest."

We will learn together if our voices can weather the SjS storm.  Oh..just as I said that I remember a "flight" trick for long airline flights.    Search the depths of your cabinet for an old cup AND saucer.  Boil water and fill the cup.  Put the saucer on TOP of the cup immediately.  (if you have a flavored tea you like to smell, pop in a tea bag.)  Anyway, sit down...mouth closed and lift the saucer...take a deep breath.  Lay the top back down.  Breathe in until no longer hot.  Repeat!  We used to keep the stewardesses busy bringing "hot" tea to breathe!  It works on our dry noses...but it dawned on me it has to be soothing to your vocal folds too.

Good luck.  If your kiddoes have devices, text them lessons ...they will get a kick out of mom teaching via smart phone! 
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

daisymae

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:00:14 PM »
Oh I can relate fadoozle. I got a cold 3 weeks ago. The sinus stuffiness subsided within a few days but my throat was and still is so dry!

I got laryngitis 3 days after getting the cold and basically lost my voice for 3 days. I still have laryngitis and a very sore, dry throat. But it has been improving over time.

I've never lost my voice before so I'm pretty sure the sjogrens brought that on, along with the long recovery time. But I do think it will heal as it is getting better. 

I like your insights, cccourt - thanks!

fadoozle

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 02:36:44 PM »
Today I am feeling just awful. Voice is still extremely hoarse and mouth and throat are so dry I can hardly stand it.

I have an appointment to see an ENT on Friday but until then I'm wondering how to make it through. I realized today that my parotid glands have been bothering me for a while, even before I got this virus and my voice went kaflooey. Is there any hope that with medication I will feel some relief from the dry mouth and voice issues? I feel so filled with despair, and so alone in my discomfort.

One question I have is, does Evoxac or Salagen help you make actual saliva? Does taking it soothe the parotid glands? Can an ENT prescribe it to me without the Sjogrens dx?

meow

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:41:07 PM »
Thank you for that great advice, finallyadx and ccourt1942.

Did your hoarseness ever go away? I guess what I'm asking is, if I get enough "vocal rest" is there a chance my voice will go back to normal, or is the hoarseness the new normal if my mouth and throat feel dry? Does it ebb and flow like other symptoms do? For example, I was plagued by horrible reflux/IBS in December and most of January but don't feel any of those symptoms right now.
REFLUX.
BINGO.
This could very well be the source of your lingering hoarseness, on top of your other issues. 
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)