Author Topic: Anemia..what to take?  (Read 4467 times)

SjoAmy

Re: Anemia..what to take?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »
I would want proof of Ferretin level before beginning OTC Iron, AND ADVISEMENT from your PCP.

INTAKE of EXTRA IRON IS NOTHING TO PLAY WITH!

Why???

A really evil condition can occur when too much iron is absorbed by the body:  HEMOCHROMOTOSIS.   (I hope I spelled that right!)

Just like anything else there are two equal realms.   Toxicity    and.   Deficiencies.

I would be safe in advising B complex, B12 or Folic Acid......before I felt safe in advising Iron.

I'm anemic, and I won't take iron until doc says to.   Now B vits.... :-). 

Get your spleen checked.  The spleen is the "red blood cell graveyard".

Hematocrit between 8 - 10 is a hazard zone.

Erythopotein could be prescribed by a PCP to treat iron deficiency anemia.

I believe the kidneys manufacture hematocrit, I think.

anita

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 06:15:01 PM »
Ditto to what SjoAmy said. 

You should ALWAYS test levels before adding any supplement.  Just because they are not regulated and available OTC, does not mean they are safe to just take at will. 

52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 03:18:00 AM »
As I mentioned above, hematocrit is not a value of any substance or cell, its the percentage of the ratio of cells to fluid in the blood, a thickness level you could say. The higher the number of the hematocrit, the more cells (of every type contained in blood) there are suspended in the fluid (plasma). It is not manufactured, its an equation reached by the manufacture of all cells and the hydration of the blood.

I do agree that iron supplements should never be randomly taken OTC, but be recommended by the MD based on hemoglobin levels; and most doctors I know combine hemoglobin and ferritin levels in the same panel to differentiate between simple iron deficiency anemia and anything more complex, like iron binding issues. Remember that inflammation can cause false high readings of ferritin in some people, so the combo of hemoglobin (HgB) and ferritin will give a clearer picture.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

gurs

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 03:54:45 AM »
I asked my rheumy about this before, and she said supplements wouldn't help, that its the disease. I think it might be common with all AI diseases, (like everything else is!), not sure because of my lupus, which I know is common. Im not taking anything until I hear back from her..my levels have never been this low. Wondering if this is why my hair loss is sooooo extreme and im just freezing cold.

I do think there is an big issue with my stomach though..the digestion/gastro issues seem to be worse, so I have a feeling malabsorbtion is playing a big part in this, thus not getting my nutrients?

Thanks again everyone!'
Gursie

52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

SjoAmy

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 11:26:58 AM »
Hair symptoms and feeling cold , make me think of thyroid.  Might be worthwhile to get TSH and thyroid checked.  Hypothyroidism.

gurs

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »
They said thyroid fine, but I have other hormone issues from my instant menopause/hysterectomy I had years ago. That may
have something to do with it. I have hardly no estrogen or no testerone, or DHEA..ughhhhhh.

Does anyone have the really low Absolute Lymphocytes?

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

SjoGirl

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 04:55:02 PM »
Agreed about need to take care with iron supplements. I have had leukopenia, but not horribly low readings.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

litliwlowa

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 05:41:51 PM »
Please be informed as to what kind of deficiency anemia you have, as the treatments are very different.
Tivia is spot on about that.

@Linda is also spot on

INTAKE of EXTRA IRON IS NOTHING TO PLAY WITH!
@sjoamy
Spot on!! There is such a thing as getting TOO MUCH IRON. And that is not a good place to be at all.

EDIT: P.S. Other than what is in my daily vitamin supplement (which is a small amount of iron), I personally would only increase iron supplement under the direction of my physician.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:44:13 PM by litliwlowa »
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc